Popular Teachers

Song for This Costume? by live_love_dance4
I have a very talented 8 year old tapper doing a solo next year and I can't find a song I like for...

Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

Polynesian Dance
Duck walking? I can't seem to get the right balance or travel at all! en>fr fr>en
By pbj Comments: 7, member since Thu Jun 10, 2010
On Sat Jul 17, 2010 07:51 PM

I would really love pics of the right duck walking technique if anyone wants to take the time to do that :) But otherwise, I am having so much trouble balancing, actually walking, figuring out how my form should look (What do my feet need to be like etc.) and I would be so grateful for as many tips and extreme descriptions as anyone wants to give!

5 Replies to Duck walking? I can't seem to get the right balance or travel at all!

re: Duck walking? I can't seem to get the right balance or travel at all! en>fr fr>en
By Tahiti_E_Imua Comments: 44, member since Wed May 27, 2009
On Mon Jul 19, 2010 02:23 PM
It's hard to explain in words, but I know somewhere else on here someone started a thread about duck walking and drills to help improve technique, balance, etc..... So look through this site and read what others have written.

All I would say to you is forget "traveling" for now - after all, you need to walk before you can run, right? Now, do you know what it means when people talk about doing "levels"? Level 1 being when you're standing upright doing a faarapu (shake) and Level 4 when you're down in duck walk position, squatting on your toes? Rather than focus on moving, try just maintaining a faarapu at a Level 4. If you can't even do that, then just squat/ maintain duck walk position for as long as you can at a Level 4. Don't rest your but on your heels - keep your butt around 2-3 inches off your feet, and hold it.... Keep doing that until you're not losing balance. Once you can do that, add in the faarapu. Work on maintaining the faarapu while staying in that position, for as long as you can. Do that until you can do it consistently without tipping over or losing your faarapu...

Finally - once you have that down, then try traveling, cause it will be much easier. You move by taking very small steps, little by little... you may only be able to take 3-4 steps at first, but keep doing it, and you'll improve and do better.
re: Duck walking? I can't seem to get the right balance or travel at all! en>fr fr>en
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7847, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Mon Jul 19, 2010 07:39 PM
Calf and thigh muscles are big in this one. I couldn't duck walk to save my life. I still kind of can't but I can now stay in duck walk position without wavering.

TahitiEImua is right about the 'levels'. Go down little by little and see how much you can hold it. Take it easy with this! You can damage your Achilles tendon, your knees or the balls of your feet if you try to do this too fast! First learn to 'be' down before you 'stay' down, if that makes any sense at all.
By nhannie Comments: 29, member since Sun Dec 10, 2006
On Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:28 PM
i don't know what i'm doing wrong now. but at one point, i was able to travel across the floor without any problems. and now i can't anymore! my feet keep sticking to the floor, and then my toes fold under and i trip over them. how frustrating. i don't know how i was able to move before.
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7847, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:21 AM
Edited by Celebrian (127245) on 2010-09-16 10:22:04
^Are you a teen or in your early twenties? I know weight distribution in the lower body changes constantly in the late teen/early twenties years and can throw off regular movements. Any change in the proportion of the hips will change things in Polynesian dance and we find ourselves having to compensate and adjust through the years.
By nhannie Comments: 29, member since Sun Dec 10, 2006
On Thu Sep 16, 2010 06:34 PM
oh. my. gosh. that might make sense!!! hahaha

i'm 25. but ok so last yr when i first tried to duck walk, i was in school still and under a lot of stress so i was probably under weight.
then later on after winter break, i gained like 10 lbs! and my thighs were significantly bigger (i thought my clothes were shrinking in the wash or thought it was because i was gaining muscle from dance! LOL!)

hmmm... however, i've lost weight now, and still can't really do it anymore...
what happens is my feet get sweaty and just stick to the floor. i've also noticed that if i try to travel across a hardwood floor, it's easier to go in the directions the wood goes. do you know what i mean? like instead of perpendicular to the wood boards. so frustrating.

ReplySendWatch