Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Drivers' ed...
By SinatraAngel
On Mon Jul 19, 2010 01:35 PM

Ugh. So instead of taking health/PE in school, I'm taking in online over the summer this year. In my school district, drivers' ed is part of health but not part of online health. SO I have to take drivers' ed in SUMMER SCHOOL. Ugh. It's two weeks, 6 HOURS A DAY of nothing but "blah blah blah wear your seatbelt." I mean, I know it's important and blah blah blah but it's SO BORING. Our exam (I mean really, the regular school year students don't take an exam...) is eight pages long, front and back. Just drivers' ed. That's as long as my history exam was last year. UGH.

Sorry. Just dreading drivers' ed and needed a place to rant. :P Thanks,

*SA

9 Replies to Drivers' ed...

re: Drivers' ed...
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jul 19, 2010 02:21 PM
I am so happy I did driver's ed. You are lucky you get it through your school because we had to pay over $700 CND for mine. Not cheap. But you learn so much. I am guessing you are going to be actually driving as well and while the classroom stuff is boring, they talk about a lot more then just wearing a seat belt. It is all about how to properly check your blind spots, what to look for while driving, how you should always be looking around and never look at the same spot for more then a couple of seconds. How to watch the cars behind you while driving and while parked to make sure they are not going to hit you, and how to position yourself in a way that if the car behind you is not stopping and you are at a red light, you can move out of the way without hitting anyone.

Overall it has made me a much more confident driver. I have driven clean for a year. My friend who didn't take it because she claimed she didn't need it is on her 3rd car because the first two were total write offs.

So as much as you may think it is going to suck, it is going to help you in the long run.

And I don't know about where you live, but here, because I took it, I save $11 a month on car insurance. $132 a year which is $1,320 in 10 years. Not bad if you ask me.
By kaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jul 19, 2010 02:54 PM
I can totally sympathize! I'm taking chemistry... 6.5 hours of chemistry Mon-Thurs is driving me INSANE. And I'm taking drivers' ed on the side.. I have 10 more hours to go. I couldn't deal with 6 hours of Drivers ed, that really blows :?

How long is your summer school?
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:27 PM
Honestly, when I took driver's ed I was just so happy to be learning how to drive, I didn't mind how boring the class was. I just got a kick out of being in driver's ed! That said... I took the normal class, not a six-hour-long snoozefest. Holycrap that's just awful!
By SinatraAngel
On Wed Jul 21, 2010 08:12 PM
I was being sarcastic. I know it's a lot more than wearing your seat belt (I mean, I've done nearly half of it). But a lot IS common sense that we know already. It's required through school to get your learners' permit, but it's not free. In summer school, it's nearly $300. And that's not including the actually driving portion (behind the wheel, we call it). That's another $200. Which you can't even start until you get your permit and pass drivers' ed. In the classroom, we only learn laws, signs, and terminology. We also learn method but not actually how to drive or physically work the road. So we pretty much have to re-learn a lot when we start behind the wheel. And since it's a semester's worth (18 weeks) of information in eight days, it's extremely fast-paced. So it's boring and hectic all in one. We average four quizzes and three tests a day. We also have several projects, papers, and readings as well as the exam. Yay...

Besides all that, it starts at 6AM.
In public school.
In the summer.
With no air conditioning.
Or running water.
And construction right down the hall.
Gah.

**SA
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jul 21, 2010 09:03 PM
But a lot IS common sense that we know already.

You overestimate the general populous...that's all I can say. Look at how many accidents occur, especially where new drivers are concerned. They obviously don't know everything and a lot of them definitely lack common sense.

Granted, there should be more hours behind the wheel versus in a classroom, I think, but it sounds like you'll have to do that independently of the class. We only had six or seven hours actually driving a car when I took the class.
By obsesseddancer14
On Thu Jul 22, 2010 02:29 PM
I hear where you're coming from. I took driver's ed over the summer, 6 hours a day as well, but I'm happy I got it over with all in one go.. It was mind-numbingly boring, pointless (everything I learned about driving I learned from my parents while I had my permit), and long but I'd rather have that in huge doses for a short time then sit through it every day for months. It's like ripping off the band aid, just grit your teeth and remember it'll be over soon. And as for the exam, I'd bet that while it'll be long it'll probably be in no way challenging if your driver's ed is anything like mine was. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 22, 2010 02:56 PM
Do you have to have your license to graduate from your high school? I've just never heard of a school that requires drivers ed. I didn't get my license until after high school and honestly didn't feel safe driving until much later. I can't imagine being forced to take it to graduate high school. What if parents don't want to pay insurance on another licensed driver? Or do you just have to take this pre-permit course in high school and thats it? I was kind of confused since you mentioned the on the road course too.
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 22, 2010 03:25 PM
I was going to add that some states give a discount of insurance of a new driver for having taken driver's ed and good grades in high school
By SinatraAngel
On Thu Jul 22, 2010 09:27 PM
The exam won't be hard. At all. All the questions are exactly from the tests we've taken. But it's insanely too long.
You only have to take the in-classroom course. It's a required part of health class and required to get your license. The school encourages the behind the wheel portion but it's not required or a grade or anything. I may not take it because I don't want to go for my license test for another year or two.

**SA

ReplySendWatch