Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

Accidents
By DreamyIssa
On Wed Jul 21, 2010 03:37 PM

Today I did a simple pirouette and because my partner was bad positioned, accidentaly I hit him with my elbow in his lip, and it bled a little. Also a girl did a single pirouette and hit the guy's parts with her knee

What is the most common accidents and how to prevent them?

5 Replies to Accidents

re: Accidents
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Wed Jul 21, 2010 03:48 PM
One of my male teachers is full of stories about that! I can't repeat them as I haven't got them memorized but he used to use them as an illustration on how to be respectful of space.

I have been lucky not to have had that kind of accident but was given a bit of stick when I was not confident in a turn with my partner. The teacher came over and said, "I love this lady...she gives massage as she goes around" (I was grabbing whatever came into my hands, so to speak! LOL!)
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jul 21, 2010 04:14 PM
I've only done pas de deux at summer intensives, but I remember one class when a girl hit her partner in the crotch and the teacher, who was male by the way, got mad at the guy. He said that it's his own job to make sure he's at least the length of her femur away from her so that doesn't happen.
By DreamyIssa
On Wed Jul 21, 2010 07:03 PM
Yeah, as far as I know, these two mistakes that I saw today were more of the male part :P
By BalletdogPremium member
On Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:06 PM
Yes, the male partner must keep his distance such that the lady can do her ballet steps as she would do them solo, in most cases. But there are some differences: for example, if being supported in a pirouette, she initiates her pirouette as if doing it solo. However, after initiating it, she needs to immediately draw her arms in next to her body, either by crossing them in front of her chest, or by holding them just a few inches from her torso...so she won't accidentally hit the guy...The lady does need to be careful to execute her part and body position correctly during some lifts, so she won't hit the guy with her foot.

Pas de deux requires coordination between the guy and the girl, and a qualified pas de deux instructor can teach the various aspects of good and safe partnering.

Rick
By prettypinkpointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jul 26, 2010 03:13 AM
The worst I've ever seen is a girl going backwards over the guy in a shoulder sit. *Shudder* Thank goodness It's never happened to me... it looks very painful!

ReplySendWatch