Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Nervousness
By kaiba101
On Thu Jul 22, 2010 09:09 PM

O.K. I have done a little research about going into ballet and atm I don't have the $$$ but that will be easily solved once I get a job. Anyway, here are a few of my concerns as listed below.

1. The beginner class is pure females. That's a little intimidating don't you think? Won't they all stare at me?

2. The dance belt plus tights. I'm terribly worried about putting them on wrong. The leotard goes under the tights right?

3. Makeup. I shudder at wearing makeup.

That's all. I don't even care that I have to wear the dance belt, I just want to dance.

19 Replies to Nervousness

re: Nervousness
By se81ballet
On Thu Jul 22, 2010 09:21 PM
Congrats on finally deciding to get into a ballet class.
1. Maybe, maybe not. Does it really matter if they do? After all why should you care what they think of you? If anything, they'll probably respect you for taking a ballet class.
2. I avoid leotards (I just prefer white t-shirts), but the order is tights go over leotard, which goes over dance belt.
3. Unless you are involved in a performance at the end of the semester/year, you shouldn't have to worry about makeup.

Good luck!
By pondflyPremium member
On Thu Jul 22, 2010 09:34 PM
When I started I was the only male in my class (there are only five male adults total). Yes, I was nervous the first day, but everyone made me feel part of the class.

As for answering your questions, may I suggest the following site www.balletformen.com

As for makeup, don't worry unless you're doing a performance and then it's not a big deal.
By luv2plie
On Fri Jul 23, 2010 01:11 AM
Go for it! Ballet is very fun!

The ladies would welcome you with open arms! Whenever guys takes ballet lessons, the studio is very happy to see you taking classes there.

I do not wear a leotard. I also wear a white shirt tucked into my black tights. I also wear a dance belt as well.

You do not need to wear make up while taking ballet classes. Only for performances but I don't even wear that for performances! LOL

Good luck and when do you start ballet? How old are you ?

Keep us posted..

Kev
By kaiba101
On Fri Jul 23, 2010 04:01 PM
se81ballet wrote:

Congrats on finally deciding to get into a ballet class.
1. Maybe, maybe not. Does it really matter if they do? After all why should you care what they think of you? If anything, they'll probably respect you for taking a ballet class.
2. I avoid leotards (I just prefer white t-shirts), but the order is tights go over leotard, which goes over dance belt.
3. Unless you are involved in a performance at the end of the semester/year, you shouldn't have to worry about makeup.

Good luck!

1. Ah good point. How many guys are brave enough to take ballet?

2. I like leotards though. I know it sounds wierd and odd but they really help movement for me and they help hold up the tights with the dance belt. Source: I wrestled and wore a leotard/singlet.

3. Sweet! And how do I figure out which dance belt is the best size for me? I'm small for my age so a lot of adult clothing is too big for me. Should I just go for a small? Or is the sizing different than that?
By Doctor_Dancebelt
On Sat Jul 24, 2010 05:43 AM
kaiba101 wrote:

3. Sweet! And how do I figure out which dance belt is the best size for me? I'm small for my age so a lot of adult clothing is too big for me. Should I just go for a small? Or is the sizing different than that?

Dance belts are sized by waist size (which generally runs about one size smaller than underwear).

For a sizing chart, go to my website
www.dancebelt.info

MStevens dance belts are available in XS and are popular with young, skinny dancers. Don't let your nervousness get in the way of starting the great adventure of ballet.
By Tomballetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jul 24, 2010 02:14 PM
Dont worry! Everything will go fine. The ladies at my class are very friendly and always wanna help me,... They are glad there's a man in class too.
About leotard: yes it's under the tights for men.

Dont worry!
By kaiba101
On Sat Jul 24, 2010 02:22 PM
Doctor_Dancebelt wrote:

kaiba101 wrote:

Dance belts are sized by waist size (which generally runs about one size smaller than underwear).

For a sizing chart, go to my website
www.dancebelt.info

MStevens dance belts are available in XS and are popular with young, skinny dancers. Don't let your nervousness get in the way of starting the great adventure of ballet.

Thanks doctor dancebelt! But, I went to my dance store and tried on a thong style one and it felt okay and felt fine but of course I had to keep my underwear on. So without the underwear will it change significantly because I wear boxers? Oh, and the color was kind of a gold/tan color I guess how will that affect me under white tights?
By kaiba101
On Sat Jul 24, 2010 02:24 PM
luv2plie wrote:

Go for it! Ballet is very fun!

The ladies would welcome you with open arms! Whenever guys takes ballet lessons, the studio is very happy to see you taking classes there.

I do not wear a leotard. I also wear a white shirt tucked into my black tights. I also wear a dance belt as well.

You do not need to wear make up while taking ballet classes. Only for performances but I don't even wear that for performances! LOL

Good luck and when do you start ballet? How old are you ?

Keep us posted..

Kev

I think I am going to wear a leotard in my class. I mean, after all everyone else is and I don't want to be the odd man out. Literally lol!

Oh good, I've seen kids use makeup for my school at school plays and it takes DAYS to come out. That would be totally embaressing. Walking around with eyeliner *shudders*

I start ballet when I get a job so that's an indefinite amount of time. I am 18 at the moment. I will thanks man!
By Doctor_Dancebelt
On Sat Jul 24, 2010 07:47 PM
Edited by Doctor_Dancebelt (222289) on 2010-07-24 19:50:45
kaiba101 wrote:

I went to my dance store and tried on a thong style one and it felt okay and felt fine but of course I had to keep my underwear on. So without the underwear will it change significantly because I wear boxers? Oh, and the color was kind of a gold/tan color I guess how will that affect me under white tights?

Trying on a dance belt over boxers can only give you a very rough idea of how it will fit for real. When you remove the boxers, you lose a lot of extra fabric so the dance belt will be looser. If it felt a bit too tight with the boxers, you are on the right track. Expect the thong to boldly go where no boxers have gone before - much further up between your butt cheeks.

It sounds like you are describing "flesh", "tan", or "nude" dance belts, which should be somewhat close to your skin color. That is the best color to wear under white tights, far more invisible than a white dance belt would be. If it really was gold, it must be left over from a production of La Bayadere (the part of the Golden Idol).

Traditionally, white tights are saved for performances, with black the traditional class color.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jul 26, 2010 01:41 PM
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2010-07-26 13:43:30
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2010-07-26 13:45:39
As has been said before: the most invisible dancebelt is one that matches your skin color most closely. Some may consider this heresy, but I had a professional career and only wore a dancebelt for performances. In my mind, I put dancebelts right up there with root canals.

Leotards are good because they don't "fall up" when you lean over. Gives you more freedom of movement.

Yes, the women will be staring at you. But not because of your gender; actually, it's just because everyone stares at everyone else in the studio. More likely than not, you'll become friends with them. Anyway... wear things to cover up parts of your body if you feel too exposed and covering up makes you feel more comfortable. Eventually, you'll probably remove the coverups.

And about makeup: remember, Richard Nixon lost to John F. Kennedy in the 1960's in part because he refused to wear makeup on TV. Since then, makeup has become standard for anyone who wishes to present something on stage or TV.

http://www.museum.tv/eotvsection.php?entrycode=kennedy-nixon

Anyway, happy dancing!
By mohabee
On Wed Jul 28, 2010 03:17 PM
Edited by mohabee (51469) on 2010-07-28 15:20:27
Hi Kaiba!

I'm glad you are considering ballet.

I attended classes with all ladies and girls. They are generally supportive of "male energy" in their midst. In fact, if you advance in your lessons, you might become a partner of one of the ladies, for a partnering class. So look at this as a challenge to your confidence--and go dancing with the girls.

The basic dance clothing for class is tights and a white tee shirt, with dance belt underneath. Ballet shoes are usually part of the ensemble, too. Socks can be like tee-shirts: inexpensive is OK, and usually most often worn by men in class.

Unless it's a mandatory garment for your class, leotards for male dancers are generally not worn. Yes, the leo is worn under the tights, and "over" the dance belt.

I, too, started with an "XS" dance belt. They are usually worn by boys or slim guys who want to dance.

No makeup necessary! I don't know of a ballet class where this is necessary, for girls or guys.

So relax, and go for the class! Tell us how it's working for you.

Keep On Dancing!

Mohabee
re: Nervousness (karma: 1)
By dnnydkns
On Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:55 AM
Edited by dnnydkns (153743) on 2010-08-01 12:02:27 typo
Edited by dnnydkns (153743) on 2010-08-01 12:08:00
Edited by dnnydkns (153743) on 2010-08-01 12:11:17
If you truly want to go to ballet class for the benefits of the dance, you have nothing to be nervous about. Just go and do it. Everything will work out fine. Just be patient with yourself through the first few classes.

Of course, you will start out a little nervous. I did. But after a while, when you find you're enjoying the exercise, challenge, etc., you'll look back and say to yourself that nervousness was brief, and not necessary anyway.

The female majority is a fact of life for men. It doesn't really matter. Your focus will be so much on yourself accomplishing the movements correctly, you won't notice them. They are doing the same and won't notice you. Females do not intimidate or stare at a man in the class. You will be respected. They value you. Silently.

Make sure you have men's type of ballet attire. Online, check tutu.com online men's section. Men's leotards are cut differently, and men's tights are a much thicker material. A white tank leotard (cotton blend) under thick black tights (Mirella tactel) looks sharp. Or just a T-shirt top would save you.

Europe and America classwear is typically black tights for men, though Asian classwear may be white tights for men. Why were you thinking of white tights for class? Because you have seen lead dancers in performance wearing them? Wearing black for class is really most practical.

Wen you start classes. just aim to impress yourself by being just a little better than the previous week. Not much, hard to detect, but that's all you need. Nobody can intimidate you, if you decide you establish being confident by your own choice.

So go for it!
By kaiba101
On Tue Aug 10, 2010 06:19 PM
dnnydkns wrote:

If you truly want to go to ballet class for the benefits of the dance, you have nothing to be nervous about. Just go and do it. Everything will work out fine. Just be patient with yourself through the first few classes.

Of course, you will start out a little nervous. I did. But after a while, when you find you're enjoying the exercise, challenge, etc., you'll look back and say to yourself that nervousness was brief, and not necessary anyway.

The female majority is a fact of life for men. It doesn't really matter. Your focus will be so much on yourself accomplishing the movements correctly, you won't notice them. They are doing the same and won't notice you. Females do not intimidate or stare at a man in the class. You will be respected. They value you. Silently.

Make sure you have men's type of ballet attire. Online, check tutu.com online men's section. Men's leotards are cut differently, and men's tights are a much thicker material. A white tank leotard (cotton blend) under thick black tights (Mirella tactel) looks sharp. Or just a T-shirt top would save you.

Europe and America classwear is typically black tights for men, though Asian classwear may be white tights for men. Why were you thinking of white tights for class? Because you have seen lead dancers in performance wearing them? Wearing black for class is really most practical.

Wen you start classes. just aim to impress yourself by being just a little better than the previous week. Not much, hard to detect, but that's all you need. Nobody can intimidate you, if you decide you establish being confident by your own choice.

So go for it!

I was thinking of white tights because I have seen lead dancers use them. I also thought they would help cover up my dancebelt underneath because I'm white. So black leo's for class instead eh? Thanks for the advice and the encouragement.
By Doctor_Dancebelt
On Wed Aug 11, 2010 05:51 AM
kaiba10 wrote:

I was thinking of white tights because I have seen lead dancers use them. I also thought they would help cover up my dancebelt underneath because I'm white. So black leo's for class instead eh? Thanks for the advice and the encouragement.

Unless you are Casper The Friendly Ghost, you aren't really white.

Wearing white tights to class is guaranteed to get everyone to look at you, so you might want to wait until you've learned enough to give everyone a show of competent movement instead of beginner struggle - and believe me, you WILL struggle at first.

On a practical note, dance floors get heavy traffic and become dirty in spite of any school's best efforts to keep them clean, so if your class starts with floor stretches, your white tights will quickly become your GRAY tights.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Aug 11, 2010 06:57 PM
I doubt anyone will blink an eyelash whether you wear a T-shirt, white leotard or black leotard. I agree, white tights are not really the best for the studio, no one wears them there.
By kaiba101
On Wed Aug 11, 2010 07:00 PM
greenpumpkin wrote:

I doubt anyone will blink an eyelash whether you wear a T-shirt, white leotard or black leotard. I agree, white tights are not really the best for the studio, no one wears them there.

Mmm thanks I guess I will go with a black leotard instead.
By Jerisonharper
On Fri Sep 10, 2010 07:13 PM
I think they are talking about tights not leotard. For the top, the most common is to wear a white t-shirt or leotard (some go for black) and for the bottom, a black tight would be great (some go for grey; wearmoi has a very comfortable footed grey tights).

Or you can also consider unitard or biketard (slightly shorter). I find then quite useful.

Reserve your white tights for performance! Some of the white tights (for men) are so see through that you need to put on a few layers.
By tellaboy
On Thu Oct 07, 2010 07:10 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-05-12 11:12:31 Put spaces between your sentences.
Funny thing is, no one sees the dance belt and more then one makes a full back dance belt. But the thing that makes me nervous is just walking in the class and not know how to do ballet.
By balletlad20
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:32 PM
Hey just to say well done for choosing to start. I wear black tights and then either t-shirt or White coton Leo, depends what's class etc

ReplySendWatch