Forum: Music / Music & Songs

Music that's cool for younger kids?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 23, 2010 01:00 PM

This coming week, I'm teaching a intro clogging class at the company dance camps at my studio.

And I want them to kind of dig what I'm doing.

So first step is finding cool tunes, right?

What's cool? lol...I listen to mostly country music. I'm a little out of the loop. :D

I'll have one class for 10-12 year olds and one for 12-14. What's some cool, danceable music? A little quirky or out there is OK (one of the girls I'll be teaching did her solo to Feel Good by the Gorillaz this past year) but not like, so far out there that no one's ever heard of it before. :D

2 Replies to Music that's cool for younger kids?

re: Music that's cool for younger kids?
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 23, 2010 01:25 PM
Talk about out of the loop - I thought clogging was always done to country. Guess not, since the Gorillaz don't qualify.

How quirky are you willing to go?
I think the Metallica cover of Turn The Page is pretty sweet. Although that may not work for 10 year olds. Not that it's got bad language or anything, but it's pretty fierce.

Coldplay - Violet Hill
The Cranberries - Zombie
Counting Crows - Mr Jones
Dave Matthews Band - Two Step , Ants Marching
The Doors - Roadhouse Blues
Led Zeppelin - Fool in the Rain
Maroon 5 - Wake Up Call

Those are a few of my ideas. I may be totally off base because I'm mostly exclusively familiar to Irish, contemporary, and tap.
re: Music that's cool for younger kids?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 23, 2010 01:40 PM

Talk about out of the loop - I thought clogging was always done to country. Guess not, since the Gorillaz don't qualify.

The Gorillaz was for her tap solo. This is the first time my studio has ever offered clogging before. It's common to see it done to country, but it can be done to pretty much anything. (It sort of depends on what you're doing clogging for - recreational cloggers use alot of country, competitive level cloggers rarely use country).

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll download 'em tonight and check 'em out! :)

ReplySendWatch