Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

I just failed my theory test - AGAIN!
By Shhaan_Dmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jul 28, 2010 02:48 AM
Locked by Shhaan_D (86086) on 2010-08-24 19:07:46 I passed 3rd time :D Thanks

More of a vent than anything..but i have been learning to drive since february.

1st theory test - May - Failed by 2 marks
2nd Theory test - today - july - Failed by 1 stinking mark!!

ARGHH I don't know what to do! Im ready for my practical test and i cannot seem to pass my theory.
Any advice..encouragement??

Anything I can use to practice.

I have the driving test success disc...so I used that!

Oh I don't know..I am so gutted :(

xx

5 Replies to I just failed my theory test - AGAIN!

re: I just failed my theory test - AGAIN!
By schuhplattlerPremium member
On Wed Jul 28, 2010 03:55 AM
I suspect that your problem is all significance and no mass, which will become clear when you read on.

You need to do a lot of riding while someone else drives, while viewing the physical situations and writing down questions appropriate to those situations - the same type of questions that would be on the exam.

It also might help to ride around while the driver asks you questions about the immediate situation.

And you can approach this problem from still other directions. Instead of just studying the theory, ask yourself the purpose behind each rule.

Here is an example, taken from trucking so as to keep the example separate from anything that you need to learn now:

In the US only two substances may be dumped on the highway. One of course would be clear water.

The other is feathers from live birds - why?

The answer is purely practical. Roadways must be kept as clean and uncluttered as practicable. There is no way that we could prevent clear water from being dumped on roadways, and the roadways are designed with adequate drainage.

Feathers would not stay on the roads for long, and nature is well equipped to recycle them, but that is not the whole story. The cost of bringing live birds to market would be prohibitive if truckers had to contain their feathers.

So "supply the mass" that goes with the significance of your studies, and let us know the results.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jul 28, 2010 04:13 AM
I just passed, and used lots of different websites plus the DVD.

For the multiple choice bit I started practising about a week before hand and each night I made myself do test after test until I passed five in a row. The disc, and most of the website, use actual test questions so you can actually start memorising them! Of the 50 questions on my real test, I'd probably done about 30-35 in practise beforehand. The pass mark is 43 I think, so with some common sense on top of that, you can pass easy. The two nights beforehand I made myself do tests until I got two full-marks and passed all the others that I attempted.

For the hazard perception, you can't really practise. The DVD is simply mock clips; they don't use the same bank of clips as the real one does. You get in trouble for clicking incessantly and will fail that clip if you do, so I made sure I didn't click more than nine times per clip. You can practise DOING the clicking, but really you just have to force yourself to be aware. Look EVERYWHERE. Upcoming side roads. Parks, paths and houses on either side of the road. Road signs. Shadows of overtaking cars when you're on a dual carriageway. Slip roads. Roundabouts. Everything.

I actually cursed myself before the hazards started as I hadn't got my glasses on and obviously they were locked away in my bag. So make sure you've got your glasses on if you need them, don't sit too close to the screen so you can see everything at once, and keep the headphones on even though you don't need them - it blocks everything out and makes you focus.
By Katemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jul 28, 2010 05:45 AM
Try not to feel too down, its really hard!! Especially the damn hazard perception, I hated that part! I found it helped before hand to make a list of stuff that might come up as a hazard, then I was looking out for things, rather than watching generally...

e.g.

mini bus with kids getting out
dog running in the road
motorbike
horse and rider
pedestrians crossing the road
kids playing with a ball

etc etc.

It was amazing how many I guessed came up, and in the test I spotted the ones I'd thought up before hand straight away.

I agree with Louise though, the same questions are repeated over and over, so maybe grab a book/DVD and try to memorise them for the question bit.

Good luck for next time...third time lucky!
By Jodee_babesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jul 28, 2010 06:18 AM
Hey,

Dont worry about it.

My mate failed SIX times!

Book your next Theory test NOW don't leave it another two months. Click asap button.

Dont leave it to long :)

I didn't revise until the night before my mum gave me really thick over powering books it scared me to death!
I used the DVLA site and that only and that covers EVERY Question you could possibly be asked!
Now instead of just answering the questions. I researched so I'd type the question into google Not cheating but finding reasons why ect.. Do it at least 5 times!

Now go rebook it :)

By Gwen93
On Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:51 AM
Hey,
I passed my theory recently, and the best advice I can give to you is on the multiple choice just to read the question carefully and use the elimination method ( think what it can't be and pick one of the remaining ones!) It's usually the most safe anwear usually! Good luck hope you pass soon!

Gwen x

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed