Forum: General / Tap / Tap

Is dancing a sport?
By Tappercise
On Fri Jul 30, 2010 02:48 PM

This question relates to something Nigel said on “So You Think You Can Dance”:

“On SYTYCD Nigel said dance is going to be recognized as a sport by Gatorade and will use the winner as one of their promo athletes representing the sport of dance for them. While nothing official or nothing really changes because of this, you have to wonder......”

fierceboard.com . . .

It may seem obvious that dancing is an art, not a sport, but many scholars as recently as the nineteenth century did not consider dancing an art form, and some of the reasons for this date back to the Greek philosopher Aristotle. Even though most of today’s scholars believe that dancing is an art form, many scholars also believe that the word “dancing” cannot be defined because the idiom of dance in non-verbal. You also have a large number of people who believe that competitive dancing is both an art and a sport and it deserves to become an Olympic sport. On the other hand, to say that all dancing is a sport does not seem to have much historical support.

4 Replies to Is dancing a sport?

re: Is dancing a sport?
By dncrgirl825member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jul 30, 2010 03:09 PM
Edited by dncrgirl825 (205813) on 2010-07-30 15:09:42
It depends on the dancing. Yes, dance is most definitely an art, and a performing art. But on the sports topic: I would say yes because dancing takes [b]a lot[b/] of athleticism - it involves strength and agility. But I would also say no because sports involve competition, and I wouldn't really say that there is any competition involved in dance, other than with yourself.

So it really depends on how you look at dancing, but this is definitely causing disagreement between a lot of people. In my opinion, I don't really have one, I see it many different ways. I don't know...
By enpointe809
On Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:58 PM
"It takes an athlete to dance, but it takes an artist to be a dancer."
That sums up my view on the subject.
By Lauren_x
On Thu Sep 30, 2010 09:15 AM
enpointe809 wrote:

"It takes an athlete to dance, but it takes an artist to be a dancer."
That sums up my view on the subject.

I love that quote :)
I think that dancing is both an art and a sport.People don't tend to realise how much of an athlete dancers really are. There are other sports that don't have much competition so i personally belive it is a sport.
By tempsleve
On Sun Oct 10, 2010 07:17 PM
I think it can be a sport, but its more of a performing art. Like, its a sport in the sense that you work your muscles to achieve, but it truly is an artform.
I actually feel offended when people only call it a sport, because it is SO much more.

ReplySendWatch