Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

My car is revving when stopped. Not sure what to do.
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 30, 2010 04:01 PM

I went for a drive today and my car started acting up. I drove for about 10 minutes to get to where I needed to go with no problems, then another 10 minutes to the Tim Hortons. I was in the drive through when my car decided to start revving itself. It would only last for 5 seconds, then stop for 5 seconds and continued like this for a good 5 minutes. Then when I driving in the parking lot at a very low speed, not even 5km/hr, it would rev and push my car forward making it difficult to drive.

Once I got out of the parking lot and was going 60km/hr it was just fine.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I can not get it into a shop for a while as I am broke and do not have a credit card but I need my car so I can get to and from work and volunteering. I am afraid it is going to die on me in the middle of a busy street.

2 Replies to My car is revving when stopped. Not sure what to do.

re: My car is revving when stopped. Not sure what to do.
By pondflyPremium member
On Fri Jul 30, 2010 04:20 PM
I wish I could show you a picture under the hood to describe, but I'm in the hospital now so I cant.

If you lift the hood, on the center of the engine there should be a couple of steel cables wrapped around a 3/4 circle. Those are your throttle control cables. You may want to try twisting them (with the engine off) to make sure that they roll open and close quickly.
If it doesn't then spray a little penetrating oil on the plates hinge. Also check your gas petal for the same things.

That's all I can think of right now in my drug induced fog of a mind right now. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
re: My car is revving when stopped. Not sure what to do.
By kandykanePremium member
On Sat Jul 31, 2010 01:42 AM
I had this happen with a car and it ended up being something like a regulator. Mine went out slowly, it would do the rev thing and then it would stop. Then do it again. Then stop again. It finally just didn't stop and I gave up and took it in. It was less than $200 for the repair.

And yes, it does do better at higher speeds because the engine is not fighting against the brakes or the transmission.

You probably need to take it in unless you have a friend that can help you. You can burn up your engine if the problem goes on too long. Talk to the people at an auto parts store. See if they have some advice.

kk~

ReplySendWatch