Popular Teachers

Latin Jazz song by miss_anna_dance
Looking for the perfect song - and I can't find it! A group of mixed dancers, ages 8 - 11, found a...

Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Ballet - General
How does the Bolshoi Academy choose students? en>fr fr>en
By acrosstheplains Comments: 49, member since Tue Jul 20, 2010
On Mon Aug 02, 2010 09:47 PM

I know how the Vaganova chooses, as does pretty much everybody else in the dance world, but the Bolshoi's examining process is a mystery to me. I notice that many of the dancers in their school aren't at all like the Vaganova students. True they're all skinny and whatnot, but not all of them have long legs and small heads. On the contrary, there is a video of a pas de deux class and some of the girls actually had *stubby* legs (in my opinion). There is nothing wrong with either school, they are both quite prestigious. But how does the Bolshoi choose their students? In the same way as the Vaganova, or different?

50 Replies to How does the Bolshoi Academy choose students?

re: How does the Bolshoi Academy choose students? en>fr fr>en
By xox_Julia_xoxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 247, member since Sat Nov 08, 2008
On Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:57 PM
I'd have to say it'd be a very similar procedure. Perhaps the ideal body type would differ slightly, but both schools only choose the students who have their ideals. Perhaps this girl was an exception, and was very gifted in another area. But overall, I'd say in the examination, the largest factor would be physical assessment.
On Tue Aug 03, 2010 02:28 PM
Yea, I notice that many girls have amazing feet and slight hyper extension, but nothing really else. My teacher was trained at the Bolshoi, and I must say she doesn't have the longest legs or the slimmest hips, but she's got these beautiful banana feet and hyper extended legs.
On Tue Aug 03, 2010 04:47 PM
I happened to fall upon this clip on the Bolshoi- www.youtube.com . . .
and it has a few shots of their examination process, which is indeed much like the Vaganova's.
By hummingbird Comments: 8370, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:10 AM
The Bolshoi have always tended to go for a more athletic dancer, it's not surprising really when you look at the things they want their dancers to do in their double work.

Back in the 60's the Bolshoi toured around the west and everyone was so amazed by their Giselle, the difference in the style was stunning, whilst here in the west we have a very Romantic 2nd act with wan, sad Willies, in the Bolshoi version they where almost aggressive, certainly strong characters, they took people's breath away.

There's also a film of the company goofing around in swimming costumes back in the 40's or early 50's, the girls are being thrown around in lifts that are only just being used here recently and it's totally amazing when you consider the softer romantic style that we where used to at the time. This to me epitomises the Bolshoi style and their dancers, fearless, strong, less ethereal but when it's seen in context with their productions it all makes sense.
By RosePremium member Comments: 9079, member since Sat Dec 30, 2006
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:25 AM
hummingbird wrote:

There's also a film of the company goofing around in swimming costumes back in the 40's or early 50's,...

Youtube?
Link?
Please?
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:48 AM
Right, right. The dancers in their company do tend to be a bit more muscular, and (dare I say?) "thicker". Not fatter no, but they seem more grounded, a bit stronger. I noticed there are very few YouTube videos of the Kirov performing daring, contemporary movements. I'm sure they perform some modern or neo-classical works, but not as much as the Bolshoi.
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:12 PM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2010-08-04 12:27:03 found another clip
I'm really sorry Lidwina :( but I saw it on a documentry many years ago now and I did look to see if it was online but I couldn't find it.

It's not the clip I was talking about, but a lot of the lifts being performed are the same and it would be from the same era too, so I'm posting this one instead as I think it epitomises the style I was talking about and why they have more athletic dancers, not the more ethereal style.

www.youtube.com . . .
By RosePremium member Comments: 9079, member since Sat Dec 30, 2006
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 03:04 PM
Hallelujah! Those are lifts/throws/drops/falls/....!!!
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3182, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 03:53 PM
Oh gosh...I can't remember his account. He is a teacher at Bolshoi Academy and posts videos of their classes and backstage. I have to say they look so much happier than the students at say Perm.
By dans_e Comments: 337, member since Fri Aug 31, 2007
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 04:34 PM
Ally wrote:

Oh gosh...I can't remember his account. He is a teacher at Bolshoi Academy and posts videos of their classes and backstage. I have to say they look so much happier than the students at say Perm.

Are you looking for "Ilyballet"?
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 09:07 PM
Haha, I think you mean "ilyaballet". Too bad his account was shut down by YouTube :(
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 09:09 PM
WOW. I just watched that video, and must I say AMAZING. Nobody does lifts like those anymore, and from the 40s. That is true history right there.
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 09:40 PM
If you watch SYTYCD they use a lot of those style of lifts and here they are in Don Q being performed very recently also by the Bolshoi.
www.youtube.com . . .
By dans_e Comments: 337, member since Fri Aug 31, 2007
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:11 PM
acrosstheplains wrote:

Haha, I think you mean "ilyaballet". Too bad his account was shut down by YouTube :(

Lol I did mean ilyaballet.
My spelling is always horrendous!

But I still find his videos so how does it work if his account is shut down?
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3182, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:20 PM
He was actually able to reopen it
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:23 PM
dans_e wrote:

acrosstheplains wrote:

Lol I did mean ilyaballet.
My spelling is always horrendous!

But I still find his videos so how does it work if his account is shut down?

I have just realized he is back up and running! I apologize for my mistake, but he was shut down a while back.

:P
re: How does the Bolshoi Academy choose students? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By madisenz Comments: 44, member since Mon May 24, 2010
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:34 PM
Acrosstheplains linked you to a video and I translated the commentary while the boy is being auditioned (what they are looking for):

the form of the foot (arch)

how flexible

how they walk

how they jump

coordination

their musical sense, etc.

we have a high demand of people hoping to get in, so we are very selective. we can only accept 44 students - 22 boys and 22 girls who will become ballet dancers.
By vaganovaballet Comments: 155, member since Sat Jul 18, 2009
On Thu Aug 05, 2010 06:56 AM
Do they accept students 14+?

And yes, I agree. Bolshoi has always been different from other companies. I think they are more artistic. Like they look for artistic thing things more than techniques and body shape?

What do they look for in a 14 year old. Does anyone know? I'd appreciate it so much! XD
By RCreatePremium member Comments: 150, member since Sat Mar 11, 2006
On Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:07 AM
Edited by RCreate (153362) on 2010-08-05 10:08:22
Edited by RCreate (153362) on 2010-08-05 10:09:04
Edited by RCreate (153362) on 2010-08-05 10:09:41
Edited by RCreate (153362) on 2010-08-05 10:10:30
They do accept atudents ages 14+ from around the world. I know several teenagers who have gone/are going and they are all very thin - one is the thinnest person I have ever seen in my life. Joy Womack (not one of the people I know) is a 15 year old American teen who is attending there now. There is a story about her in the New York Times. If you google her name, you can read about her experiences there. In the original article, she mentioned that she had had to lose a lot of weight, and that she was shocked at how thin the students were and were expected to be. They seemed to have removed that particular information from the article now, though. Joy Womack had attended excellent ballet schools in the states, and by our standards, she was quite thin enough already.

Vaganovagirl - the best way to get in is to audition for their summer intensive in NYC. Once there, they assess you. Students have been invited to attend their school in Moscow during or after attendaning the SI. They also have a program where they invite 10 people from the SI to attend a 6 week program in Moscow after the SI in NYC has ended, and some of those people may be invited to stay. I believe, at this point in time, the students who were invited to attend the 6 week program in Moscow had attended the Bolshoi SI the previous year and they are attending this year as well.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14987, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:22 AM
hummingbird, that video is AMAZING. Usually I see videos from around that time period and I'm not that impressed, as technique has advanced far past that now. I've never seen such an intense performance, even today you don't often see lifts and drops like that. Amazing!!!
On Fri Aug 06, 2010 03:06 PM
Wow.....there's no chance I'll ever be chosen to dance at the Bolshoi. I heard about Joy Womack too from a friend, looking her up right now! :)

I also know somebody who was asked to attend a 6 week program in Russia!
By vaganovaballet Comments: 155, member since Sat Jul 18, 2009
On Sat Aug 07, 2010 07:30 AM
www.balletacademy.ru . . .

Try going to that website. It is the standard weight chart of the academy. Yes, it's crazy.

Девочки-Girls
Мальчики-Boys

рост-height (cm)
вес-weigh (kg)
By gioland Comments: 248, member since Tue Sep 08, 2009
On Sat Aug 07, 2010 08:36 AM
Edited by gioland (216083) on 2010-08-07 08:40:42
vaganovaballet wrote:

Yes, it's crazy.

It's more than crazy! If I were to weigh 39 Kg (for my height), I would be seriously underweight! Wow!
By finding_jaymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 134, member since Thu Oct 23, 2008
On Sat Aug 07, 2010 08:53 PM
vaganovaballet wrote:

www.balletacademy.ru . . .

Try going to that website. It is the standard weight chart of the academy. Yes, it's crazy.

Девочки-Girls
Мальчики-Boys

рост-height (cm)
вес-weigh (kg)

Ouch! I'd probably need to chop my leg off if I was going to fit what they suggest my weight should be.
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch