Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: How does the Bolshoi Academy choose students? en>fr fr>en
By acrosstheplains Comments: 49, member since Tue Jul 20, 2010
On Sat Aug 07, 2010 09:16 PM
vaganovaballet wrote:

www.balletacademy.ru . . .

Try going to that website. It is the standard weight chart of the academy. Yes, it's crazy.

Девочки-Girls
Мальчики-Boys

рост-height (cm)
вес-weigh (kg)

I have been looking for something like that forever! Ha ha, I've always wanted to know how overweight I am by ballet standards :)
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4376, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Sat Aug 07, 2010 09:27 PM
Wow I know I'm overweight, but I'm more like 25 lbs overweight not 100 lbs going by that chart. Craziness.
By RCreatePremium member Comments: 150, member since Sat Mar 11, 2006
On Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:42 PM
Acrosstheplains - That chart does NOT represent ballet standards in the US, nor in most of Europe. The Paris Opera Ballet School, for example - known for their very strict body type standards - have much more generous weight requirements than those on that chart.
By RosePremium member Comments: 9079, member since Sat Dec 30, 2006
On Sun Aug 08, 2010 01:52 AM
Edited by lidwina (172256) on 2010-08-08 02:01:37
To be complete: the weight requirements by the Paris Opera Ballet School.
www.operadeparis.fr . . .
(scroll down)
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 429, member since Fri Apr 30, 2010
On Sun Aug 08, 2010 02:22 AM
vaganovaballet wrote:

www.balletacademy.ru . . .

Try going to that website. It is the standard weight chart of the academy. Yes, it's crazy.

Девочки-Girls
Мальчики-Boys

рост-height (cm)
вес-weigh (kg)

That is insane. According to that chart, I'm about 20 pounds overweight!
By gioland Comments: 248, member since Tue Sep 08, 2009
On Sun Aug 08, 2010 07:23 AM
lidwina wrote:

To be complete: the weight requirements by the Paris Opera Ballet School.
www.operadeparis.fr . . .
(scroll down)

This chart refers to kids' weights... They may be a bit more lenient for older teenagers?
By Verena Comments: 90, member since Sat Jan 12, 2008
On Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:29 AM
Wow...I knew Russians are strict but that strict... Girls over 50kg can't take classes but must watch the whole thing. Plus the parents are infromed their child is overweight. That must be stressfull.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5880, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:51 AM
^ Does that change at a certain age? That's just for GIRLS, right? Not, women?
On Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:50 PM
Edited by lidwina (172256) on 2010-08-09 12:52:03
There is a chance that with such a low weight, your periods don't come every month. That has an influence on becoming a woman, and so on your weight.

Same goes for the gymnastic world. They train so hard, that the start of their periods is years later than with average girls. The moment they stop training, they gain weight. Not just from eating more, training less, but also from hormones finally getting a chance to blossom.

Now, those students eat IN the school cafetaria. And I have seen them with full plates, loaded. I hope that everything they can get there is extremely healthy with little calories, and that just eating the school food is enough to get the right weight.
If that is so, I want to know their menu :).
By Verena Comments: 90, member since Sat Jan 12, 2008
On Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:51 PM
Actually, age just doesn't matter. It's all about proportions - height and weigth. A kid, a teen or an adult - you just have to fit or you go home. At leat that's how ballet schools here in Bulgaria work, and we use the Russian method.
By balletbones Comments: 79, member since Wed Jul 28, 2010
On Mon Aug 09, 2010 04:29 PM
That's just sickening, I'd have to be 34.5 kgs max? Yea right like that'll happen. How on earth do they have the energy to dance like that if they're that underweight?
On Mon Aug 09, 2010 07:16 PM
I read an article about a Bolshoi ballerina who wasn't allowed to perform because she was 110 pounds and the men were complaining about being unable to lift her. Weaklings, they called her the night before she was suppose to debut as Odile/Odette in Swan Lake :(
About womanhood, look at the the Vaganova videos. The younger girls stay so skinny then WHAM, they seem to pack on the pounds. (Not that many however) :)
By hummingbird Comments: 8370, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Aug 09, 2010 09:02 PM
It's not pounds they have as they get on with their training they gain muscle. The link is probably the ideal weights of dancers as they enter the academy, before they start intensive training.

The dancer you're talking about is Anastasia Volochkova acrosstheplains.

There was a lot more to the story than her weight :) like most dismissals.

Here's the Wiki page about her.

en.wikipedia.org . . .
On Tue Aug 10, 2010 05:45 PM
hummingbird wrote:

It's not pounds they have as they get on with their training they gain muscle. The link is probably the ideal weights of dancers as they enter the academy, before they start intensive training.

The dancer you're talking about is Anastasia Volochkova acrosstheplains.

There was a lot more to the story than her weight :) like most dismissals.

Here's the Wiki page about her.

en.wikipedia.org . . .

Oh my, that was harsh. And they never gave her a role after that? That is so...how do I describe it? Immature, on the Bolshoi's part. I mean seriously, the Kirov didn't "dismiss" her because of weight, why would the Bolshoi?! Indescribable!
By vaganovaballet Comments: 155, member since Sat Jul 18, 2009
On Wed Aug 11, 2010 08:07 AM
i googled a picture of joy womack, and to me, she doesnt look very thin. i mean her thighs arnt "sticks" and shes quite "thick" compared to other students...

did the managements in bolshoi make an exception for her?
On Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:02 AM
vaganovaballet wrote:

i googled a picture of joy womack, and to me, she doesnt look very thin. i mean her thighs arnt "sticks" and shes quite "thick" compared to other students...

did the managements in bolshoi make an exception for her?

I did too, although in an article she talked about losing so much weight. Natalia Osipova isn't stick thin either, she's pure muscle. But muscle weighs twice as much as fat. I think they give these weights as guidelines, but don't really enforce them like the Vaganova. Looking at videos from ilyaballet, not all the girls are itty bitty, some of them are a bit heavier. ;)
On Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:16 AM
www.youtube.com . . .
Watch the girl at 3:11. Not quite the skinniest dancer I've ever seen (no offense) :?
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3182, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:56 PM
What is the real intention of this thread. I just don't like what it has become. You are just fixated on the body types. I dunno, just feels fishy
On Wed Aug 11, 2010 04:56 PM
^ O, that sometimes happens. Nothing serious. Maybe the original poster isn't happy with the way the discussion went, but it happens to all of us sometime, and she hasn't said anything about 'please back to the topic', so 'we' continue with this.

I think it is interesting, not fishy.
On Thu Aug 12, 2010 02:05 PM
Whoops, sorry Ally. I thought it was a continuance of how the Bolshoi is more open in their examination. If you wish to continue with an opinion of their process, please do. :]
By Elfiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4184, member since Thu May 01, 2003
On Thu Aug 12, 2010 05:14 PM
Edited by Elfie (64279) on 2010-08-12 17:15:22
acrosstheplains wrote:

www.youtube.com . . .
Watch the girl at 3:11. Not quite the skinniest dancer I've ever seen (no offense) :?

I see nothing really "wrong" with the body types of any of these dancers.

I was at the Vaganova academy watching classes some years ago, and I can tell you that they are even much more itty bitty in real life than they seem on the videos. The fact that they are all so so thin and you don't have a "normal person" there to compare them to can distort the vision somewhat. Even the same children looked even much taller and much more grown up in the class room than they did the moment later they were walking past you in the hallway. The whole change in perspective was in fact almost spooky.
On Thu Aug 12, 2010 05:38 PM
Edited by acrosstheplains (224670) on 2010-08-12 17:39:58
I wasn't saying all of the dancers, I meant the one girl in the back on the left side who was clearly *bigger* then the rest of the girls in the class.
Excuse me if I sound rude. :?
By Elfiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4184, member since Thu May 01, 2003
On Thu Aug 12, 2010 06:14 PM
Well it took me a moment to figure out which one you meant, so no not that clearly.

Of course there is some variation in bodytype, even they are still human after all. Any school with half a brain is going to look at much more than simply bodytype and weight. Competition ensures you can't be lacking very much in any of the typical ballet criterea, but you can compensate for a small lack in one area, by being amazing in another.
On Thu Aug 12, 2010 06:56 PM
Right right, which makes the Bolshoi different from the Vaganova. I see that the Vaganova tries to look for kids who have perfect everything. (i.e. long legs, small head, long neck, the whole shebang plus musicality). I believe I said before about my teacher having not the slimmest hips or longest legs, but the most gorgeous feet and hyper extension.
By loveballet101 Comments: 240, member since Tue Jan 08, 2008
On Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:05 AM
While both Bolshoi and Vaganova are picky about body type, I think Bolshoi places more focus on students with true passion and drive, while Vaganova appears most interested in students with insane bodies...Many of Vaganova's students, while naturally thin, appear to be malnourished. The girls at Bolshoi are skinny, maybe even unhealthily so, yet they appear larger than most Vaganova students. Girls at Bolshoi idolize slightly chunkier dancers (that is for a Russian ballerina) like Natalia Osipova, while Vaganova girls look up to Alina Somova, Diana Vishneva and Oxana Skorik
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch