Forum: Music / Music & Songs

Are any of these songs good for a lyrical dance for a 13 year old?
By DANCE9280
On Tue Aug 03, 2010 02:53 PM

Please Help!!
I am 13 and I will be competing in the 14 year old division and I was wondering if any of these songs would be good for a lyrical dance for my age.

1. Apologize - One Republic ft. Timbaland
2. Bleeding Love - Leona Lewis
3. Impossible - Shontelle
4. When I look at you - Miley Cyrus
5. A little too late - JoJo

Also any other ideas would be great please help!

8 Replies to Are any of these songs good for a lyrical dance for a 13 year old?

re: Are any of these songs good for a lyrical dance for a 13 year old?
By dancegirl300member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:39 AM
Apologize would be a great song! Another great song is Stand Still Look Pretty by the Wreckers
By KZoet
On Thu Aug 05, 2010 05:40 PM
I think you should listen to all those songs over and over agian until you really understand what they are about. Just because that's what lyrical is about and you want to tell a story through the song. You could also do Conversations with my 13 year old self and be the 13 year old??? I hope you find a song that works for you!
By twirlgirl9810
On Mon Aug 16, 2010 09:31 PM
im srry but is this just me?i dont think " when I look at you" is a good song for a 13 year old. its too slow. but i dont know it mite be just me.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Tue Aug 17, 2010 08:03 PM
^Hey, new poster. Welcome, but beware of 'netspeak'.

Anyway, I havn't heard most of those songs, but I just looked up the lyrics to "When I Look At You" and I don't think it's indecent. I read it and it could be about God or about a father figure just as easily as about a boyfriend, so I wouldn't think too much about it.

And while I was on it, I looked up the other songs:

Apologize - Not the most decent imagery, but not indecent either.

Bleeding Love - I don't like the imagery in this song for a young teen girl. As nice as the melody is, I don't think it's the best choice talking about bleeding love, and love causing scars, and no one understands but me...

Impossible - Wow, similar imagery to the last song. Scars, open wounds...etc.

Too Little Too Late - This is the only one that I would throw out completely. The others are subtle offenders if at all, but this one is sexual promiscuity and "I gave you everything, and now I know you didn't deserve it".

Really, I avoid songs that have even subtle messages that I don't like because I know I can spend an hour and find a better song without it, but if I had veto rights I would only veto the last one. The others are fine enough, especially because they're popular and commonly used.
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:45 PM
Why use a song that's so mainstream? All the songs you listed are REALLY overdone. AND, a lyrical routine doesn't HAVE to be so depressing and sad. Try one of these (all these artists have other great songs besides the one I listed):

Passion Pit - "Sleepyhead"
Kate Havnevik - "Kaleidoscope"
The Noisettes - "Never Forget You"
Chairlift - "Bruises"
Lenka - "Trouble Is A Friend"
Oh Land - "Heavy Eyes"
By twirlgirl9810
On Sat Aug 21, 2010 05:19 PM
thanks!but what does netspeak mean?
By staygold123
On Sun Aug 22, 2010 03:00 PM
^
The language and characteristic mode of speaking peculiar to the Internet and online communication, esp. acronyms and shorthand used in posts and chatrooms (Dictionary.com)

Examples: "im" "srry" "mite"
By loganpinckney
On Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:24 PM
Personally I wouldn't use any of those songs, because they are songs you either hear all the time or they are played on the radio. I would look for something different. The judges get tired of hearing the same old songs over and over.

ReplySendWatch