Forum: Arts / Religion

Can't connect. Advice anyone?
By dancegirl300member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:37 AM

I am 13 year old girl in a very very smal church in their confirmation class. This up coming year I have to be confirmed. Right now I am thinking of doing a dance for it (my youth group blessed me with the gift of dance) since it is my gift. There one little problem. I feel myself slipping away from Christ. I can't feel that special feeling during prayer, and I can't connect with my two pastors at all.

I never really cared about Jesus and God when I was little, but now that I am facing issues in life I got more into it. This feeling I have is hard to explain, almost like someone has forgotten about me. I want to stay connected, but it is very hard to. Any advice?

2 Replies to Can't connect. Advice anyone?

re: Can't connect. Advice anyone?
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 07:57 AM
This sounds like a great inspiration for a liturgical dance. Everyone struggles with their faith from time to time. I had a long, tough time in college, and questioned a lot of things.

As we grow, the way we and our bodies respond to spiritual experiences will change. I used to cry every time I felt the Holy Spirit when I was a teenager; I struggled in college when that didn't happen anymore. I learned to realize that it's OK to struggle with God.

You can use this experience to direct your dance. Having hope is a huge thing. When we struggle and fall, hope is what gets us through. Remember that just because you feel like you are slipping away from Christ, he's not going to slip away from you. Sometimes we think that just because we are struggling and don't have the feelings we used to have, that He's struggling and feeling the same way. Christ doesn't work that way, though. He's there with you as you struggle through this, and He'll always be there for you in good times or in bad.

As an aside, when I was in confirmation I also didn't get along with my church's pastor AT ALL. We butted heads so many times during confirmation class. We reconnected after I went to college, and he ended up marrying my husband and I. It's totally OK to be feeling that way.

*hugs* Hang in there! You have more strength and wisdom than you realize. :) PM me if you feel you need to.
re: Can't connect. Advice anyone?
By ChristinePremium member
On Wed Aug 04, 2010 09:59 AM
My best advice, in a word...dance.

Let your spirit guide your movements, don't over think anything, and wherever possible, avoid too much contact with church people who interfere with your relationship with God. Be polite to the youth pastors you don't care for, but remind yourself they are only humans, not Gods.

I'm sure you will find your way. It is a blessing to be able to dance...use it to be the very best person you can be.

Hugs to you.

Keep On Dancing*

ReplySendWatch