Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Has anyone taken the Marlyand driving test?
By tothepointe3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 05, 2010 08:46 AM

Ok, so I've got the permit and the required 60 hours of practice, I've got the car, I've taken drivers ed. Now I just need to pass the driving test for my license!

I've been practicing my parallel parking and three point turns, because I know those are two of the tricky parts of the test. However there is one thing I've heard mixed responses to: Is there a written test like there was when I got my permit? Any other tips from people who have taken the test are welcome. I'm just trying to figure out the little things I need to remember :)

Oh, and one more thing: What is the actual law about driving other people around on your provisional license?

Thanks, Emily :)

2 Replies to Has anyone taken the Marlyand driving test?

re: Has anyone taken the Marlyand driving test?
By celestia836
On Thu Aug 05, 2010 08:39 PM
I took the test in 2008, so you'll want to double-check the MVA website to double-check all of this.

That said, there is no written portion to the license examination. You drive in your own car through a course at the MVA. The three parts of the course are the 3-point turn, parallel parking, and backing up in a straight line. Make sure you do a full stop at all stop signs, looking left and right even when you know no cars are coming. Also make sure you buckle your seatbelt and ensure the examiner's is buckled (make it obvious that you've done this; you can even ask them if it's buckled).

As for your provisional license, you definitely need to check the law on the website (it's not hard to find) because this didn't apply to me since I was over 18 when I held my provisional, but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to drive anyone but immediate family when you're on provisional status. It might not be for the entire length of the provisional period, though--I'm not sure.

Good luck! :)
re: Has anyone taken the Marlyand driving test?
By rincedragonflymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:06 PM
Interesting how states differ in their driver's tests...I took my test in Colorado, and I didn't have to parallel park, 3-point turn, or back up in a straight line. I had to show I could change lanes properly, make a right turn, and make a left turn. Oh, and park back in the parking spot, but not parallel. I'm pretty sure if I had to do the things you have to, I would STILL be waiting for my license. I couldn't parallel park if it would save my life. :)

ReplySendWatch