Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

A few days till I can get my learners!
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Aug 06, 2010 06:27 AM

Finally old enough to get my learners (in 3 days anyway) Being practising for the theory test online...once I get it it's going to be hard to get to 120 hours (although the new triple rule with the driving instructor will make it mildly easier).

I guess this is I'm excited + wish me luck post. Any gems of wisdom for once I actually first start to learn to drive?

8 Replies to A few days till I can get my learners!

re: A few days till I can get my learners!
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Aug 06, 2010 07:56 PM
Cadbury_Eater wrote:

Any gems of wisdom for once I actually first start to learn to drive?
Always look out for the other guy. No matter how well you are driving and how well you are following the rules, another car can unexpectedly put on the brakes ahead of you or drive straight into your path.
On Mon Aug 09, 2010 01:03 AM
Well I'm now 100% licensed to drive :)
By Beckymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:17 AM
Congratulations :)

Trust me, the 120 isn't nearly as hard as it sounds. I did mine well within my 12 months.
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:26 AM
WOOT! Good luck on the test! And a tip for when you start driving, if youre anything like me, you'll want to start in a parking lot with no cars. Get used to turning. I didn't even touch the gas pedal my first time driving and it took a few good hnours to get used to. :D Again, good luck with your learners!
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:17 PM
Edited by toroandbruin (202876) on 2010-08-09 22:18:21
Congratulations on getting that learner's permit.

One more thought on learning to drive. Once you have learned the basics quite thoroughly, get together with a VERY experienced driver or even a professional, go to a large, flat area, and practice putting on the brakes at a high speed.I started out driving in an old-fashioned VW bug. When braking it would fishtail like crazy because of the design and the fact that the engine was in the back! I didn't know this until a friend of my mother's took me out to a deserted country road (nice flat ground on either side) and we practiced keeping the car on the road while braking. It was an eye-opener.

And then there is skidding while turning. The technique for dealing with this depends on whether you have front wheel drive or rear wheel drive or are in 4 wheel drive. The idea is to get control and NOT flip the car over, which is why I suggest a professional teacher. I've never had this sort of training but I'd still like to get it someday.

Now, hopefully you will never have to use this; however if you have the money and access to a trainer, take advantage of it.
By lipinskifan4evamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 10, 2010 03:52 AM
yay :) where I live you need 50 hours within 6months and I managed to get 70 hours. If you do the daily drive to the shops the 15min drives everyday adds up, also driving to families houses on the weekends also helps. What is the new triple rule?
On Sat Aug 21, 2010 06:56 AM
^I'm an Australian and you can get your hours tripled if you do a structured lesson with an instuctor. I'm learning the basics of my dad though, then a driving instuctor will help refine me closer to the test.

Done about 4 hours ish. It's so different to what I imagined!
By DancinDiva2005member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Aug 21, 2010 08:20 AM
Yay! Congrats! I remember after I got driving (mostly after I got my actual license though), I loved the freedom that came with it. I couldn't always drive wherever I wanted (until I got my own car), but just the idea of being able to go wherever I wanted was pretty awesome.

Congrats again and happy practicing! :)

I'm also going to second what toroandbruin said. Watch out for the other guy. You can be the greatest driver, but there are always going to be a bunch of crazies out there who aren't paying attention. Someone could come over into your lane unexpectedly or stop quickly..just expect the unexpected.

ReplySendWatch