Forum: Irish / Irish - Achievements

First Irish Dance Competition
By BailaBaila90member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Aug 07, 2010 03:30 PM

I just got back to the hotel from my first Irish dance competition ever! I competed in Novice in the 15 and overs, and I got one 1rst and four 2nds.

There were 9 people in the hornpipe and treble jig, and I got second.
There were 8 people in the reel, and I got second.
There were 7 people in the slip jig, and I got second yet again.
And finally...in the light jig, I got first out of only 4.

I'll be honest (and some will think I am absolutely nutty), but I AM a bit of a perfectionist, and am my own worst critic. I feel like I could've done better, you know? But, I AM happy with what I got.

My teacher is moving me up to Prizewinner though, regardless of the places I got here.

7 Replies to First Irish Dance Competition

re: First Irish Dance Competition
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Aug 07, 2010 03:35 PM
Edited by Louise (29559) on 2010-08-07 15:36:49
Awesome! Consistent top two - congratulations!

I know how you feel, I felt I could have done better at my first feis as well. But, it was your FIRST FEIS. Nobody ever competes at their best when they're at their first ever competition, because a big part of competing is settling into a pre-dance routine of hair, make-up and warm-up. Until you get that right, you're never going to dance at your 100% best.

Hey, if you feel like you want to win ALL your novice dances then absolutely do that! What harm could it do? Just say to your teacher that you want to get the hang of competition before you move up a grade so that you can get your routine sorted and get used to competing. Sounds like you'd win out really easily, and it would be SUCH a confidence booster. Up to you, but I'd definitely think about staying in novice til you win out.
By rainbow_rawr
On Sat Aug 07, 2010 05:43 PM
That's Awesome!!! Good luck in prizewinner!!
By iloveirishdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:54 PM
that's a wonderful first feis!!

If you want to get some more firsts, I say stick in novice for another feis or two.

I found the competition in PW to be a big change and just getting the hang of competing is something you want to have a little experience in. Plus you will have the satisfaction of more first place medals! and maybe sign up for the special competitions, you will be likely be competing with PW level dancers and get to try for trophies!

Good luck whichever you choose to do!
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:57 AM
Those are awesome results!! You should be so proud of yourself.

I know what you mean about being a perfectionist. At my first feis I was in Advanced Beginner 15+. There were two of us and I won all my dances but I was so annoyed because I only won by 1 or 2 points.
Ok, so I'm a little competitive. haha.
By BailaBaila90member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 08, 2010 02:27 PM
Thanks everyone! I am really happy about it, especially considering I had beaten people that have been in many feisanna.

I am going to still move up to Prizewinner like my teacher wants me to, and if I don't think I'll handle it, I will move back down. (If I can...if that's allowed)

Here is a picture of my medals! =)
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 09, 2010 02:47 AM
I'm not sure it is allowed to be honest; I was always under the impression that you could stay in prizewinner forever if you wanted (ie you could drop down from prelim), but I don't think you can drop down between the grades. Only from champs to grades, if you see what I mean. There could be different regional rules though so check with your teacher.

Pretty medals!
By FanciieeFeetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:23 AM
Thats really good for your first competition!! Well done :)

ReplySendWatch