Is it good to practice ballet in a swimming pool?
By Amiraux
On 08/10/2010 06:58:12
As an adult beginner, I know that I think too much and worry too much about falling or injuring myself. Therefore, I thought about practicing moves in a swimming pool where I won't have this fear. I couldn't find a single thing on it after searching on the net. Does anyone have any experience with this? I imagine it's good to train my muscles in water because it offers resistance without impact. But I just wanted to make sure there aren't any negative aspects to it, e.g. if I get too used to the floating feeling I might not be able to do the moves properly on dry land anymore (??)
re: Is it good to practice ballet in a swimming pool?
By pointequeen1
On 08/10/2010 08:16:22
Practicing in a pool is generally fine, just don't do any turning.
By WoodPigeon
On 08/10/2010 09:10:45
Don't think that it helps getting over any fears. Actually, I began as a adult as well and never found ballet scary... :D But I like to do ballet movements in the pool, because it's easier to use the right muscles (turnout), for example when you do rond de jambes en l'air (... or better to say en l'eau :D ) or developé.
By Arak
On 08/10/2010 09:25:20
It's great resistance work. I did a lot of this while recovering from a foot injury a few years back. Some aspects just don't work that well (like turns, obviously) but other things are just great. A few of my favorites: rond je jambs of all sorts, degage and grand battement, petit allegro, developpe, promenade.
By danceacademyusa
On 08/10/2010 13:36:04
That sounds like a great idea!
By dance56SEHvun8
On 08/10/2010 14:59:45
I was a competitive swimmer for eight years before turning my focus to ballet. I was always doing degages and petite allegro between sets :)
By Nienna
On 08/30/2010 10:31:45
I also love it, especially for beats and petit allegro. You have more time to get the leg movements right underwater and it helps me remember what muscles to engage back in the studio. Actually, that's kind of my reasoning for doing it in water in general; water slows down the time you take to complete a movement, so I'm able to focus on what muscles I'm engaging. I was able to fix a fouette problem I was having by working it in the pool; I realized my hip was rising and I was letting my butt stick out instead of pulling up between turns.
By luckykid
On 08/31/2010 04:44:33
I used to practice splits in the pool. I dunno why though.
By tutufun
On 09/04/2010 10:31:18
Try Allegra Kent's Water Beauty Book. She was a Balanchine ballerina. Good Luck! TUTUFUN
By MJeanette
On 09/04/2010 10:36:57
It's fun to dance in the pool anyway. For one thing, pointe is completely effortless and painless when your weight isn't really on your feet. :)

© 2022 - www.dance.net -- 08/10/2022 16:39:48