Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

OUtside classes
By dancer_boi08
On Tue Aug 10, 2010 02:05 PM

So last night me and a friend of mine took and beginning jazz class at a little studio close to home its just a one studio thing no to big. Well I attend the Debbie Allen Dance Academy and have been for 3 years. Well during the class I noticed no one really had techinque which wasnt a big deal to me bcuz we have to start some where. But my friend I went went felt as if i was showing off a little bit because I was learning the combos quickly and just having fun. I feel like I was showing off to becasue everyone was looking at me but at the sametime I feel like I was only doing what I know to do. has anyone else felt like this? Is this how I should feel?

4 Replies to OUtside classes

re: OUtside classes
By Doctor_Dancebelt
On Tue Aug 10, 2010 08:53 PM
Edited by Doctor_Dancebelt (222289) on 2010-08-10 20:55:46
If your skill set is greater than other members of the class, you'd be wasting your money to dumb down your dancing to conform to class norms (and possibly even pick up bad habits). If you were performing the combinations as given by the teacher, that isn't showing off.
By pondflyPremium member
On Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:23 PM
Wow can you break up the sentences a little, my eyes were going nuts with that post.

I agree with DD, find a place or level that suits your skill set. I will say that taking an occasional remedial class helps to remember the details in the basic moves and improves the skills as a whole.
By dancer_boi08
On Wed Aug 11, 2010 08:19 AM
It was I think a one time class. It was just for fun and I thought my friends would enjoy it which he did. I just finished a summer intensive and just wanted to take a class close to home and not ride the bus three hours to my studio. I do understand now that I was not showing off at all. Thank you guys I feel alot better now
By luv2plie
On Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:25 AM
It is ok to try your best but just make sure you don't have an attitude ! Keep on dancing

Kev

ReplySendWatch