Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

First Lyrical Class
By dancergirl3686
On Tue Aug 10, 2010 07:24 PM

Hey everyone! This year i am switching dance schools. I have been dancing since i was three and have taken ballet, tap, jazz, and pointe. They were the only classes offered. I have also competed independently with a lyrical solo. My new school offers lyrical which i'm going to take. I dont know what to expect....

2 Replies to First Lyrical Class

re: First Lyrical Class
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:00 PM
Every studio, heck, every TEACHER, runs a lyrical class differently, so really, I can only tell you how it goes down at my studio.

Since you've competed with a lyrical solo already, you know what the style is. So I'll skip that part.

In my lyrical classes, we started off with a warm-up that consisted of a short center barre (some plies in each position, tendus, and rond de jambes) and stretching characteristic of a jazz class, all done to music, usually of slow to medium speed and volume.

We then continued on to across the floor and did turns (chaines, piques, pirouettes, and compass turns), stylized grande battements, leaps, and short combinations. We finished in with a lyrical combination in the center.

Most girls go barefoot or wear FootUndeez or jazz shoes - with the occasional ballet shoe popping up here and there - and wear dancewear similar to what you might wear to a jazz class (booty shorts: leotard, bra top, or tank top; and maybe tights, usually either cropped, stirrup, or transition, depending on the footwear).

Lyrical is such a fun class to take, and even though I only took it for six weeks last summer, I wish I could take it all year. Unfortunately, there aren't enough hours in the week...maybe next year. Anyway, have fun; lyrical is such a great way to express emotion through dance! :D
re: First Lyrical Class
By dancergirl3686
On Wed Aug 11, 2010 01:45 PM
Thank you so much, that really helped :)

ReplySendWatch