Forum: Arts / Photography - Artistic

Page:
Page 1 of 231 2 3 4 5 6 19 20 21 22 23
Photography - Artistic
365 Please
By imadancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2400, member since Wed Nov 30, 2005
On Sun Aug 15, 2010 02:12 PM

Hello!

I told myself I would do this last year, and I made it 40 days. So here we are again.

Some things to know:
1. As much as I would like to update everyday, that's really not going to happen.

2. At this point I don't edit my photos. As much as I wish I have photoshop or something like it, I don't. So these are pretty much straight from the camera.

3. I'm using a Canon PowerShot SX10is, one of canon's "advanced" point and shoots. I'm still saving my money for the DSLR I've been wanting for over 3 years. Hopefully by the end of the month? My birthday is the 19th, and I really wanted it by then, but I have doubts that's going to happen.

4. I also have some instances where I have another picture for the day, but it's very personal and I'm not really going to share it. In that case a crappy picture will take it's place...but it will hard to tell which is which because there's going to be a lot of crappy pictures I'm sure.

5. I'm self-taught and definitely don't know what I'm doing. I'm trying to push myself more and ONLY shoot in manual, but sometimes I see something and need to take a picture of it NOW and don't have the time to set my settings. But I usually very much dislike how my auto pictures come out.

6. I know there are a lot of things wrong in these. Again it goes back to ^ sometimes I don't have the time to choose the best settings and have to use my best snap judgement, which is pretty bad most of the time.

Alright, I think that's it! Here we GOOOOOOOO!

551 Replies to 365 Please

re: 365 Please
By imadancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2400, member since Wed Nov 30, 2005
On Sun Aug 15, 2010 02:21 PM
Day 1 - Jeans (above). I love texture
Day 2 - Self Portrait Time. I felt pretty good this day
Day 3 - It's hot. I bought this fan for my best-ballet-friend while I was in NYC because they're going to have variation class this year. I still haven't been able to give it to her...
Day 4 - My co worker got married and had some of the most amazing decorations (paper bouquets!)
Day 5 - Happy Birthday? My best friend was going to come over and she couldn't because she was out at the lake the day before and a girl she was with drowned. I ate her cookies.
On Sun Aug 15, 2010 02:26 PM
Day 6 - Fall clothes. I can't wait to wear this jacket
Day 7 - Time to Get Pretty. My sister was supposed to be leaving for college in the fall but no longer is. That means I get to keep wearing her jewelery.
Day 8 - Sister. I can only take pictures of my sister when she doesn't see me.
Day 9 - Repetition. Interesting that these are just sitting outside and no one uses them.
Day 10 - Back in the Day. We always went to this pizza place when I was younger and they have paper covering the tables to color on. Now, we go because my sister has a job.
On Sun Aug 15, 2010 02:30 PM
Day 11 - Mukluks. We were having the carpets cleaned and had to clear EVERYTHING out of the shop and put it in the back, in the kitchen, or the bathroom. Is was empty in the there and I loved it.
Day 12 - Hold on. I'm using photography as a coping mechanism at this point.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sun Aug 15, 2010 03:24 PM
I am stunned (in the good way) by these photos. They are so good, I hope you don't go all techno when you get a DSLR. I guess what I like most is your sense of composition and your fertile imagination for subject matter. The repetition factor in the jeans photo and the shopping cart basket show amply well that the Rule of Third (upon which I harp here quite often), good as it is, is not the only compositional device one can use. The wedding arrangement shows how far you will go to see the beauty in what the rest of us would totally ignore. Showing that cookie to me just before my dinner (I'm hungry as a bear now) is simply just not fair! :P

As for being self taught and not knowing much about the subject, well you will gradually acquire some of this knowledge and while it may help you understand what you are doing I hope it doesn't screw up your intuitive sense of what makes a good photograph. I had quite a number of students who knew practically everything there is to know about the technical end of photography...more than I did and I was the instructor. And their photographs were pure crap; or, even more boring, of stuff like lens testing patterns...they were very proud of how sharp their lenses were...as if they had ground them themselves.
There have been a number of legendary photographers, LIFE Magazine photographers who have made some of the most memorable images in the history of photography. Margaret Bourke-White, most famous today for her incredible photograph of Mahatma Gandhi spinning some thread was not only a legendary photographer, but was a legend among the TIME-LIFE staff because her technical skills were very weak. LIFE darkroom hands used to brag how they "rescued" some of her most memorable photos from barely printable negatives. But egad, that lady had a good eye.

A DSLR is a tool. A very good tool, but no more than that. To get too wrapped up in that tool would sort of be like Hemingway and Fitzgerald having a conversation about the merits of one brand of typewriter over another. I think I can safely say that a DSLR will help you do even more creative photography and extend your vision, but you are already a person who can create memorable photos.

I'd love to see more.

Oh yeah...Days 11 and 12 didn't come through, at least when I wrote this.

I won't ask how photography is a coping mechanism for you (photo 12 didn't show...you may wish to try it again) but you can take pride that you are damn good at what you are doing here.

Jon
On Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:48 PM
Day(s) 13 - I've recently discovered how to use manual focus. I think I like #2 the best, even though it's a little TOO depthy I feel. It gets quite a bit grainy, but I love the focus on the texture of the plaid shirt. I feel like if I cropped the bottom of #1 I would like it better (plus there quite isn't the amount of depth I wanted). And #3 has too much white in the corner for me.
Day 14 - Irony. I bought this shirt last week and today, it was very appropriate. These last few days have really sucked...I need to snap because I know what I do when I don't.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:05 PM
Wow, I seriously love your pictures, girl! If any 365 post on here has inspired me to do it, it's been this one. If I didn't have such a crappy camera I'd start my own thread too.

Can't wait to see more!
By joytothe_world Comments: 1053, member since Fri May 11, 2007
On Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:33 PM
Wow I absolutely love your photos! The textures that you capture are really cool.

I've tried to do the 365 project a few times, but I always give up on it! Good luck with yours, you have such a good eye for photography. :)
On Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:47 AM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-08-18 00:52:42
OHMYGOSH you two! Seriously, best compliments ever!

Krystal, I hope you do it someday! It's been very eye-opening for me so far, I'm loving it! And wow, I feel on cloud nine reading I inspired someone!

joytothe_world, Thank you so much! I'm a really touch-oriented person and am oddly fascinated by everyday textures we overlook. Really, I'm sure I could do a 365 of macros showing weird textures!

Day 15 (s): I'm super indecisive today. I couldn't decide which one I liked the best. The little details get me. Plus the first two are oddly exposed because of weird lighting, but I kind of like it anyway. I'm breaking the rules - watch out!
Edit: Boy my eyes are fuzzy! Hahahaa, the things macro makes you notice!

And I added an extra picture I snapped really quick of my new photo wall. I just got 22 prints, and now they're up on there as well. Most are from NYC and the Rockette camp, but there are some others mixed in
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:45 AM
Madison,

I'm no expert on macro and have done rather little of it. Sad, I know...I have all the equipment. That may be a goal to explore more of it once I finish redoing my basement where I will have a full darkroom - if I ever decide to do film again - and a computer workstation for scanning negatives and slides and uploading digital stuff. Actually those two areas are completed, it's the rest of the basement I have to finish, but I'm getting close!

But I did read up on it many years ago and here is what I remember about focus and depth of field:

Depth of field is actually calculated at each f-stop based upon the distance from the lens to the subject. Focus on a mountain ten miles away where photographically speaking the distance is infinite, and for all practical purposes the depth of field is infinite (it really isn't, but follow me here.) If you are focused on a mountain ten miles away and then hold up a daisy two feet from the camera you can't possibly focus on both...not unless you have a view camera (the kind where you hold a black cloth over your head and the camera in order to focus) and shoot at something like f-90 e.g. a pinhole and your exposure time is Tuesday. If you focus on an item five feet away from you, you can go to tables or even read on the lens how far in front and how far behind that five feet things will be in focus. (You can see this effect in your closet and coathanger photos.) So at say a five foot focal distance at f-8 everything from 4 feet to 6 feet will be in focus and you can calculate this as a percentage. So, for 5 feet and the numbers cited you would have a +/- 20% area that is in focus. (BTW I'm making these numbers up.) Now if you shoot macro and you are 2 inches from your subject, as you likely were with your eyeball shots, at a given f-stop, say f-8 you will still have this +/- 20% ratio of what will be in focus, but as you can calculate +/- 20% of two inches
is a pretty narrow range, like maybe the length of an eyelash [it's actually .4 inches.] So you see the problem when you have a three dimensional macro subject. Macro works pretty well for stuff like photographing postage stamps (which of course are flat) but introduces a lot of complications when photographing three-dimensional subjects like, for instance, shooting into a flower or your eyeball. It often requires a very small f-stop (higher number e.g. f-16 or f-22) and a long exposure (often several seconds as opposed to fractions of a second.) These long exposures require the use of tripods or copy stands and often external lighting like spotlights or electronic flash. The whole complicated study of the various types of extreme close-up is covered in dedicated volumes (some of which I have but have never really read closely.)

So, if it seem difficult, you are right...it is. When I did pro-photography I was far too busy making money to bother doing it or studying in to any great extent.

Jon
On Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:12 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-08-18 23:14:09
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-08-18 23:15:52
Thanks again, Jon for the lovely insightful posts. When I read things like that I feel like I know nada! I feel like I've read pretty much what you said, but actually understanding it and knowing it is definitely different...but hey, someday!

Day 16: Fuzzy. My depression has been horrible the last few days. Everything is blending together, everything gets worse and worse. I'm holding on, but I feel myself slipping fast. So today, I found myself lying on the ugly rug my Mom bought and just staring at it. Not only is it ugly, it's pretty cheaply. All the fibers kinda fall out and fuzz up and it can never lie flat.
I don't even care at this point that it's a crappy POTD. This picture sums up how I'm feeling: fuzzy, ugly, and falling apart.

On Thu Aug 19, 2010 08:57 AM
^but notice how perfectly it illustrates the depth of field thingy.

Don't sweat a certain degree of photographic illiteracy. I didn't come by what I know overnight and a lot of what I do know was through mistakes. Not being active doing this stuff on a day to day basis for the past 18 years (I last did photography for money in 1992, when I gave up pro work lest it interfere with my "real" job and with my kids out of college had no real need for the extra money) I find myself having to refresh what I once knew, not to mention learning the intracacies of digital cameras.

The problem for me with digital cameras (though I love them) is that the menus can be so complicated and to a large extent are designed to solve problem I either don't have or didn't know I have.

Jon
On Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:12 PM
My 365 is quickly turning into a 365+a million more pictures everyday...but I'm okay with that. The more pictures the better.

Day(s) 17:
1. Flower. My sister got these from her friend on her first day of work. Along with 4 other bouquets.
2 It's party time? I spent a large part of my birthday alone, on the couch watching TV.
3. The sun was setting, and the lighting was beautiful.
4. Something Spicy. We went to PF Chang's and had lots of GREAT food. It's been really hard for me to eat lately, but I did pretty well.
On Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:18 PM
Day(s) 18:

1. Car ride.
2. Gas. Goes along with the next slow shutter picture. I think this explains the feeling people get when they fill up their tank. I was really having a lot of fun with the slow shutter. :D
3. Mystery. I love sitting in the car at night, setting my shutter speed way down and shooting and shaking my camera away. You never know what it's really going to look like. I love the mystery and suspense at that moment when the screen goes black and then the image pops up.
On Sat Aug 21, 2010 08:22 AM
Day 18, Car mirror. You used to see this sort of shot in the photo mags e.g. (Photography, U.S. Camera etal...many no longer published) but they were always taken from the DRIVERS side. I don't ever remember any taken from the passenger side LOL.

Filling the tank: Now here is an interesting phenomonon. Notice how the numerals appear in a clear sequence and the lighted arcs on the left are pulsed. This is because the lights on the gas pump are powered by 60 cycle electric current. As you moved your camera on the time exposure, the LED lights on the gas pump flashed on and off 60 times each second. As you moved your camera, each time the light went on and off registered as a unique number. (We don't notice this because of "persistance of vision" the same optical phenomonon which permits humans to see movies. If we didn't have persistence of vision, movies would be very annoying to watch.) The yellow arc has about 32 pulses in it, and from that I can tell that you used a shutters speed of about 1/2 second [32/60 is slightly more than 1/2 second, at least for the amount of the picture you have shown us.] I first noticed this when I saw a time exposure photo of cars on a freeway. You see a continuous light from the headlights...white in one direction, red in the other (tail lights), but if the whole scene was illuminated by the mercury vapor (bluish) or sodium vapor (yellow/orangeish) street lamp, the cars would appear as separate images every 1/60th of a second. It's a neat phenomonon. I've had fun shooting time exposures of carnival rides at night with the lights up and down the super structure of the ride.

On Day 17, you got very good depth of field on your purple flowers and the composition is very nice.

Jon
On Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:38 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-08-21 23:40:23
Day 19: Strength.
Be yourself with bright red scars
Show the world how strong you are

I'm really fighting my brain right now. I felt really judged all day, although any of my visible scars are fading. The visible reasons to get the looks or the comments aren't so obvious, but I'm still paranoid. Today especially. Yuck.
But today when I got home, I painted my nails. I let myself be me. Then I took a last minute picture (I really had no inspiration today, this is really pathetic)

Here I am world.
Get over it.

Edit:
And Jon, the comment about the lights was very, very fascinating to me!
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:00 AM
Day(s) 20: Esc. It was Sunday = no modivation.
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:07 AM
Day 21: Life in Cartoon Motion. Inspired by Anna Gay's day 148
www.flickr.com . . .

And a "behind the scenes" shot of my "tripod" made of board games.
On Tue Aug 24, 2010 08:59 PM
Days(s) 22: I had a picture party today. Here are a bazillion pics from today.
On Tue Aug 24, 2010 09:02 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-08-24 21:25:09
Day(s) 22 cont.

The 3rd picture really looks like I used flash...weird. I totally didn't
On Wed Aug 25, 2010 06:00 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-08-25 18:03:42
Day(s) 23: King of Cameras.

I GOT MY CAMERAAAA ! So I wasn't happy with Canon because they increased the MP in the T1i, but they didn't use the new sensor henceforth bringing image quality down (they did in fact put the new sensor in the T2i though) so I opted out of that. I'm sure the image quality is still freaking great, but I wasn't happy with that. Plus it's still around $700 plus tax.

I got my beautiful XSi (for $611, no tax, no shipping), which is pretty outdated (and also discontinued. Canon is making people buy expensive "entry level" dslr because they're putting stupid HD video on all of them. If I wanted a video camera, I would buy a video camera, hello Canon!) BUT I DON'T CARE that's it's quickly getting outdated! I saved money that I'll put towards my camera wish list full of lenses, a tripod, a bag, a remote, a UV filter. I've wanted the XSi FOREVER and really, that whole HD video thing is a bust. The differences between the XSi and T1i were definitely not significant enough for me to choose the T1i.
(I did some extensive research on cameras the last 3 years, and some SUPER extensive research the last 3 months)

I just un-boxed him, his name is Leon, and he is KING!
On Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:21 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-08-29 22:32:44
There is some major learning happening right now with my new camera, Leon. And I'm missing my 20X optical zoom on my SX10is.
BUT I love Leon, definitely.

Also, in case anyone hasn't noticed yet, this is turning into a 365 project/diary. My therapist once said I should do something like this because I've developed a pretty unhelpful coping mechanism of blocking out a significant part of my day. So I basically can't remember yesterday. But this is helping, connecting pictures to events.

Day 24: Our Hearts are Light. (This is my ALL TIME favorite low-light-nighttime-slow shutter-picture I've ever taken). This was a pretty good day. I went to the doctor and good blood work done (8 or 9 tubes, whoa). Had work from 1 to close, and then went to frozen yogurt with my sister and her boyfriend. I had a different doctor than I had before (I finally got OUT of pediatrics) and I actually really liked her. She didn't push drugs (yet) and knew her stuff. Side note: when they checked my vitals my heart rate was 94! HOLY cow! I know I have some anxiety issues, but boy that seems pretty high.

Day 25: You Still Love Me Right? My sister got all of her hair chopped off (it was around shoulder length). Her boyfriend doesn't really care, but we all know how that is. They still look pretty happy.
On Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:30 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-08-29 22:34:49
Day(s) 27: Good Times all the Time. It was Saturday, and I worked from 11-4. My friend was going to come over so we could go to Planned Parenthood to get her birth control, BUT she decided she's going to wait for now and we should just "hang out" instead. Ug. I should have made her go. She's 16 and doesn't need to be getting pregnant anytime soon. :/

So the first picture is from outside the window at work (and the street is sloped, btw, my framing isn't crooked)
The 2nd is my sister and her boyfriend at "Show in a Week" which was a first for our CYT (basically it's pretty self-explanatory: they put on a theater show in a week). I love my sister's face :D

The last two are just pictures in the theater. I've performed here a million times and like to call it my second home. I've very, very fond of it.
On Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:04 PM
Day(s) 28: Adventure is Out There!

My Dad wanted to go out shooting, so I let him use my old camera.

It was really nice for a change to be able to take my time taking pictures. Usually I'm always lagging behind trying to take pictures of things, and then have to catch up with the group. But today I got to get down on the ground, stick my head in the bushes, change my settings a million times, stand there and take 15 shots in one place. It was perfect.

If I wasn't sure of it then, I definitely am now: All I want to do is shoot all day long.
On Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:12 PM
Day(s) 28 cont.
Page:
Page 1 of 231 2 3 4 5 6 19 20 21 22 23

ReplySendWatch