Forum: Arts / Photography - Artistic

Page:
Page 2 of 231 2 3 4 5 6 7 19 20 21 22 23
re: 365 Please
By imadancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2400, member since Wed Nov 30, 2005
On Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:27 PM
Day 29: You Must Love Yourself.
Or more importantly, I love my camera and had no people around to take pictures of, so I turned on myself. Self portraiture perhaps. Super corny cliche ones with my camera of course.

Happy Monday Everyone!
By imadancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2400, member since Wed Nov 30, 2005
On Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:29 PM
OH MY GOODNESS!

TWO WHOLE PAGES OF PICTURES!

Sorry to yell, but this is very exciting. Accomplishment hurray hurrah!
Next Tuesday, I'll be 10% done. Whew, I'm getting there. :D
On Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:02 PM
I accidnetally misnumbered days 26/27 or something like that, so really this is

Day(s) 29: Fishey! My mom went a little nuts when the goldfish were only $1
#2 Rain, rain, stay right here. It was super grey and rainy and I really liked it.
#3 More light fun
On Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:08 PM
Day(s) 30: I Will Walk 500 Miles. I love my Toms shoes (pic #1). The script says "Love is the New Black"

I walk a lot because of the bus, today was no exception.
I'm glad I have my Toms to walk in; they're very comfortable
On Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:20 PM
Day(s) 31: Pig Out in the Park. We have this event every Labor Day weekend called "Pig Out in the Park" where a ton of food vendors come and set up at the park. There's also free concerts from local bands and such. It's a really cool event.

#1. No light, No Problem! I'm pretty excited I got this picture in the low light without flash or a tripod.
#2. Silhouette. So on DPS they're challenge this week is silhouettes. I somewhat took them up on that, it's kinda of half attempt, but I still like it.
#3. By the Light of the Moon...or perhaps a huge light lighting the pathway
#4. 6 Foot. This group is a super popular swing group we went to go hear last night. Again, I'm proud I got this in the dark with no flash/tripod
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:59 PM
I haven't commented here lately as much of my DDN time right now is learning the ropes of being a MOD.

I like the idea that you are trying all sorts of things, in all sorts of light. No one has coalbins anymore, but it used to be said that the ultimate photo challenge was shooting a black cat in a coalbin at midnight. Some of your lowlight shots sans tripod show you have a pretty steady hand.

I can't really say that I ever gave myself the luxury of totally free experimentation. For one, I learned photography in the film area and doing that sort of experimentation was expensive because of film and processing costs. Digital rocks for that. Somehow, and totally by accident (being in the right place at the right time) I ended up doing photography for money, and since shooting things like weddings and Little Leaguers is essentially the same shots over and over, my energies were directed more at running a business.

You will learn more about photography with your approach than I did with mine.

The shot with the lens cap and your glasses was SOOOO like me. I have my prescription in my older cameras and most newer cameras have a dial-in diopter correction. (I'm -2.5 for nearsightedness.) Consequently my glasses (which I wear at all other times) are either off or up on my hair.

Jon
On Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:09 PM
Thanks for taking the time to comment, Jon! And I completely understand, I'm sure you have quite the job on the Mod squad!

I'm definitely embracing the fact I can mess up my pictures a million times - they can be over exposed, out of focus, weirdly composed, and I can automatically view it and change it. I can't imagine learning in the film era! I would probably get far to easily frustrated...

I hope to never stop learning, I can't get enough at this point.

Day 32: Compact. The irony is that the good 'ol "compact disc" is not very compact anymore...it's actually quite large considering. That how my thoughts are right now: very "compact" (ie ALL OVER THE PLACE). It's so hard to hold on.
On Sat Sep 04, 2010 07:33 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-04 19:35:31
On DPS right now, the weekend challenge is mirror shots. Day 29 I took a mirror shot, but that was before I knew about the challenge.

SOOO anyway.

Day(s) 33: Daily Fight. My therapist says I've brought up feelings of discontentment because I feel like the city I live in currently isn't enough for me. Meaning my city is too boring for me. I love dressing up, wearing crazy makeup, doing my hair, wearing heels, "artsy" things like dance and photography...all things no one really does here. I agree with him to a certain extent; it is frustrating at times.
The first picture is my ACTUAL day 33. I like how on one side of me there are all the accessories, and the other side there is just wood (I'm talking background). But I'm a little bothered that I had to have my camera up to my eye to frame it that way because the strap in covering my face and you can't see the differences in my eyeshadow or my blue feather headband...hmp. Can't win 'em all
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sat Sep 04, 2010 08:18 PM
You may not come to this conclusion, but the lighting, coloration, your makeup and clothing, so remind me of a Frida Kahlho painting. (I once worked in Mexico City so this may influence my thinking). I think Frida might have done something like this if she had a DSLR.

BTW, Mexico City when I worked there (1992) had 25 million people. Is that big enough? I'm in metro Washington, DC (in MD) with something like 6-8 million after growing up in a northeastern Wisconsin town of 33,000.
I think I know where you are coming from. I left the place two weeks after college graduation, though going back next week for my 50th high school reunion.

BTW I love both Frida Kahlho's art (and saw some of it in Mexico) and your current batch of photos.

Jon
On Sat Sep 04, 2010 09:09 PM
Wow, that's quite the compliment! Thank you.
I'm in a such a weird place right now, being a senior in high school and wanting to move away after I graduate, but really wanting to stay around here at the same time. I would really like to be away from my family for a bit (or longer than a bit...haha) but I'm just getting comfortable in the city and being independent in it. It's hard to imagine starting new somewhere and being completely lost again. But hey, that might be perfect for me. Who knows ;)
On Mon Sep 06, 2010 07:42 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-06 19:49:57
Day(s) 34: Reflect. My mind is still on the mirror-shot challenge
This weekend was Pig Out in the Park (which is a big food/music festival in our downtown park) and I got to see 2 really good artists I was hoping I would see. It's funny because I saw both of them last year (one at this event, and another opening for an Eric Hutchinson concert late last April) and it's pretty cool to see how they grow and change in the year.
On Mon Sep 06, 2010 07:48 PM
Day(s) 35: Don't Forget. I really needed to write last night, but the same things keep coming out...nothing important, just rambling that doesn't help calm my brain much at all. I always wanted to do this - write two lines on each line and then write over those in the middle every few lines - so I thought that would be a good time to do it since I was just brain-exploding anyway.
This is the outcome.
On Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:27 AM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-08 00:30:45 Laptop has a letter p in it...
I've spent the last two hours going through posts on this forum on my iPod touch (my laptop refuses to keep connection to the Internet in my room).

I found some of my old threads and had a good laugh...it really makes me feel like I know a lot now even though I really don't know much at all. It's weird think that the only though passing through my mind was "I hope this isn't blurry" just two years ago. I guess I'm feeling nastalgic, what can I say? I only hope to continue to grow and learn (and get lovely lenses and Photoshop/lightroom, haha)

Also, Jon deserves a million karma and cookies for life with all the advice he's given on this forum!!!!!! You knowledge, Jon is absolutely amazing!

Sorry no pictures to post at the moment, but there hopefully will be some up late Wednesday. I have a good idea for my POTD, but I'm 99% sure it's not going to work out considering I have no editing software :(
but I'm going to give it a try anyway :D
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:59 PM
My all time favorite photograph that you've done so far is you against the comic strips. Priceless, and looks like an andy warhol panting, except the colors aren't distorted. Love the face too!
YOu definitely have a knack for this. And I think it's really awesome that you shoot/diary at the same time, because it's quite fascinating!
On Wed Sep 08, 2010 04:27 PM
^ Thanks for the kind words!

Day 36 (#1): These Boots are Made For Walking...maybe. So yesterday was Tuesday, which is when I go to therapy and I decided to wear the cute boots my sister got for me for my birthday. Unfortunately, I have to walk a lot to get there, even with the bus and I'm suffering the consequences now. My shins, knees, and thighs are super sore and achey today.
#2: Signs of Fall. It's already getting really cold here, I think yesterday had a high of 62 maybe, and the last signs of Summer are lingering (hence the crumpled leaf)
On Wed Sep 08, 2010 04:50 PM
Day 37!!!!!
10% DONE OH YAH!

What it's Like. My therapist gave me an assignment. He told me to write or photograph what my experience is [during the session]. I have a major problem fighting between how much I want to say something and how much I know (have been taught) to stay quiet. The moment he gave me this assignment this image flashed in my mind. Because I spend way too long on photography forums/websites I'm sure I've seen something very similar, but still, there was some genuine inspiration there...I hope!

Here's some behind the scenes info, in case anyone wants to know :D (also, I'm just proud I did this and feel like documenting it).

I took this in the living room of our apartment, using natural light from the giant front window.
Made a "tripod" out of 10+ board games and framed up the shot.
Took a few test shots, adjusted my shutter speed a bit, and put the camera on self-timer (10 sec).
I was amazed at how fast natural light changes when you're trying to do something like this! I would take two of three shots in the middle, then by the time I had the shot on the left done, I would have had to adjust my shutter speed. (from 1/50 to 1/60 I think)

Like I've said before, I don't have any editing software. After I downloaded the batch of pictures onto my computer, I picked the last three to use (those last three I only did one of each shot to avoid not having such a lighting change).
I opened them up in Microsoft picture viewer and compressed them down to a manageable size to use in paint.

I opened 4 windows of paint; in three of the windows I opened the three images.
I copied the first image and pasted it onto to blank document. What follows was beautiful luck. I pasted the next picture, cut the overlapping and tried my best to line it up with the previous (there were also a lot of shadows I didn't take into account and you can really see the seams there). I then noticed there was much too much a difference in the darkness so I had to re-open the picture in Microsoft Picture Viewer and ever so slightly adjust the darkness.
Then back to paint I went, finished the first connected between to the first and second picture, then did the same re-opening in picture viewer thing to the last picture.

Then, after much copy and pasting and taking away of edges, there it was! The shadows in between the joins were pretty harsh, so I re-opened the finished image in picture viewer again and went nuts on the editing. All you can do in picture viewer is brightness, contrast, midtone, hue, and saturation. So basically pumping up the brightness fixed my little problem of huge join-lines.

So above are two edits, I know there are still visible joins, but hey, I did this on paint for goodness sake!
:D
On Fri Sep 10, 2010 03:08 PM
Day(s) 38: It's Alright if you Stay.

There was a downpour. Luckily, a big part of my city downtown has a sky-walk system. I like how the first picture looks like I have some bokeh going on when really it's just little raindrops on the window. A girl can dream, right?
On Fri Sep 10, 2010 03:22 PM
Day 39 - Really.

Sometimes I see people who don't believe me when I tell them I'm fine.

I will be free
re: 365 Please (karma: 1)
On Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:33 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-11 23:34:48
Day 40: Solve Me.

I'm a fan of Rubix Cubes. For my 15th birthday I asked for one because I had a very sudden urge to learn to solve one.
I did in fact get a Rubix cube for my birthday and spent a day learning to solve it (thanks to Dan Brown on youtube).
In less than a week, I had it memorized (I have though, in a time of some pretty intense brain stuff going on, completely forgot HOW to solve it. It did not make me very happy. It did come back to me eventually, though) which is much more impressive than having a "cheat sheet" of the algorithms on it in your lap.

They are a great distraction, plus you look pretty cool if someone is staring at you for 2 minutes and then it's solved.

I once mentioned to my therapist I liked to solve Rubix cubes, explaining it's actually quite simple: it's just a list of algorithms. Once you memorize them/what order to do them/how to do them (like what side should be facing you) it's easy.
He insisted that it was actually very impressive; he was particularity impressive that I used the word "algorithm". He thought I was dumbing it down saying it was easy as not to sound cocky, but really I wasn't. The fact that I said "algorithm" made it a complex task? Algorithm is a common word.

(I can't do the 4X4 cube though. They are far too complex I don't even want to try.)

I think if I had a formula full or algorithms for life I would be much more successful.

It was a long day/night. I feel pretty crappy, I'm going to stay away from details at the moment.

Pic #2 was my test shot before I moved into the bathroom for a simple background and I really like it. I like the way I look (and it's okay to think that says my therapist).

Pic #3 is a PostSecret from way back when that I can definitely relate to ;)
On Sun Sep 12, 2010 01:45 PM
^ and the triple portrait abit earlier up the thread. You are now starting to reach the point where you are transcending the technical aspects of photography (which is actually pretty simple...you read the book and practice doing it) and are beginning to touch your own soul.
Actually the technical stuff is getting pretty good too. Leonardo probably saw the Mona Lisa in light pretty much like your middle portrait just above.

I won't pretend to understand all the elements of your triple portrait suggested by your therapist, but I bet he or she can see something of you in them.

Actually the technical stuff is getting good too...tight compositions and all that.

There is an utterly free photo manipulation/editing tool available for downloading. It's called GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) which come from the Linux community but has been ported to a Windows environment. You can google it for all the gory details. I've played with it somewhat and liked it but I still tend to use Paint Shop Pro simply because I'm more used to it. Those in the know say that GIMP is as competent as full-blown Photoshop. I can't vouch for that statement.

I'm going to be away from DDN for a longish week as I am going to my Wisconsin home town for visits and my class reunion from high school. I'm also going to visit your namesake city to visit my university. I'm hoping to meet a couple of guys who were far more into photography when they were in high school than I was then (which is to say very little.) I know at least one of them became a commercial photographer and the guy I knew best...a long time buddy from high school, college and Boy Scouts became a noted naturalist in Alaska, did wildlife photography up there and later became a very noted sculptor. He did the bear symbol of Alaska which is in front of the Alaska state capitol (a huge bronze), and a multi-figure sculpting in bronze which is at the Jimmy Carter Presidential library in Atlanta in addition to many other works. I hope they show up. Take some more photos in my abscence, I'll comment when I return after Sept 22.

Jon
re: 365 Please (karma: 1)
On Sun Sep 12, 2010 01:48 PM
imadancer2 wrote:

Jon deserves a million karma and cookies for life with all the advice he's given on this forum!!!!!! :D

LOL, A million karma would put me ahead of even Panic; however, skip the karma...I really like the cookie idea!

Jon (noted Cookie Monster)
On Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:12 AM
I'll look into GIMP for sure, thanks for the tip!

Day(s) 41:
CELEBRATE! My previous 365 made it 40 days. 40 really horrible, uninspired days.
#1: My favorite "head shot" I got of my beautiful sister

#2: We went to my Grandma's for dinner tonight and my sister really needed some sort of new head shot (since she cut her hair all off) so we went out in the backyard. This was after being frustrated by having no good light inside in our apartment, moving lots of lamps and trying to make it work.
I love the angles :D

#3: Still stuck on that reflection challenge. Every time I see something shiny I MUST take a shot. I enjoy that you can see me and Leon in the picture though.

#4: A "what I did today" shot. I tried doing these two reverse cornrows and really liked how it looked.
On Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:44 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-15 12:46:06

For my birthday present, my Dad surprised me and set up a day where I could go hang with a local photographer that does a bunch of dance stuff with my dance school. He's AMAZING and I learned so much from him, especially about light. I was super intimidated though so I didn't really say a lot, but I definitely learned a ton. Mostly stuff I can't really put to use yet because I don't have an external flash or other lighting equipment (soft boxes, flash tripod, reflectors). But eventually :D

(and btw, this picture wasn't from that day...I won't be sharing any of those)

Day 42: Texture. I think I mentioned this before, but I'm kind of obsessed with different textures and have a separate "texture study" project in part with my 365.

Edit, sorry the picture is so huge!
On Wed Sep 15, 2010 01:13 PM
Day(s) 43:

#1. Hold On.
#2: Baby Bird Fell/Fading Fast. Inspired by a beautiful song by Mon Cheri:
"Baby Bird Fell" by Mon Cheri
www.myspace.com . . .

Gross day. I was going to audition for a local theatre but after going to therapy I felt much too exhausted to do anything. For some reason this really affected my sister (I guess she really wanted me to audition).
I think what happened is that my sister thought it would make me happy to do this show, so me telling her I wasn't going to audition made her really upset. She wants me to be happy. I think for the first time she realized how much my "depression" affects me. How hard I fight, how much things don't make me happy.
I think it broke her heart.

I had to rest of the night to ponder over things like how amazingly disappointing I am to people; how I let them down far too frequently.

I also really have a thing about writing on myself now. It helps with the urges. Skin is such a clear canvas. (Plus I have a lot of old-ish makeup that I might as well write on myself with to take pictures, haha).

I have an alternate #2 but my scars are very much visible. I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable or trigger anyone, so I'll keep that to my flickr.
On Thu Sep 16, 2010 09:35 PM
Day(s)44: A Day at the Fair.

Nothing really to explain, just an awesome time using my new tripod for the first time :D
Page:
Page 2 of 231 2 3 4 5 6 7 19 20 21 22 23

ReplySendWatch