Forum: Arts / Photography - Artistic

Page:
Page 3 of 231 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 19 20 21 22 23
re: 365 Please
By imadancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2400, member since Wed Nov 30, 2005
On Thu Sep 16, 2010 09:58 PM
Day(s) 45:

So on photojojo, I saw this technique that resembles a double exposure. Simply put, you set your camera up on a tripod in front of your computer screen, crank that f/stop number way up (I think I was at 22?) roll the shutter way down (I stayed between 4-6 sec) and shoot, clicking though pictures as you go. (I pushed the shutter, waited 2 seconds, then clicked to the next picture). All but the picture of me was only two pictures.

I really love it. These were all "test shot" inspiration level, meaning I didn't really spend a lot of time conceptualizing a shot, I mostly just wanted to try to technique.

I'm definitely keeping this in mind.

AND the stupid red line you see in the photos is on my computer screen. Stupid old computer screen that it failing.
By imadancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2400, member since Wed Nov 30, 2005
On Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:54 PM
Day 46: We're Whos Here. Our local CYT is putting on Seussical (which is a great show, by the way) and my sister made these fondant characters to put on top of red and white striped cupcakes (see day 49). Basically she's insane.

Day 47:
1) These Days are Coming to an End
I like the sky. It's pretty underexposed. I like it none the less.
www.youtube.com . . .

2) Let Me Grow Feathers.
Feeling antsy...I want to fly
On Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:01 PM
Day 48: Strength
I've discovered I can write left handed and sideways. New talent? I'm thinking yes.

And yeah for lights from a ceiling light and a lamp that rim my hands.
After spending the day with Scott (see Day 42 on page 2) light is always on my mind. Everything I see out and about: the lights in school, at work, the sun on the bus, walking at night, it's all gets me to think about how to photograph it. He talked about rim lighting and I somewhat accidentally got it a little on my hands.
It's nothing special, but I'm still proud I'm trying to play with it.

Day(s) 49:
1)"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple." Dr. Seuss

The aforementioned cupcake on day 46
Too much tungsten, made it blue. Bummer.
I was really focused more on conveying how the stripes showed up on the cupcake paper really.

2) Day 49 - Down the Drain
TMI: My hair is quite short so I don't really brush it out often. That means those 100-300 hairs that are supposed to fall out everyday don't get much of a chance to. So before I wash it I have to spend quite a while with my head over the sink pulling it out or it clogs the drain.

I feel like everything is going down the drain right now in my life, and sooner or later it'll clog up and I won't be able to handle any more.
I need life-draino
On Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:03 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-21 23:04:38
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-21 23:20:31

Day 50: It's Nice to See You!

First day back at school. I go to community college as a high school senior to gain college credits (also high school is gross).

My history teacher is really really funny and my English lit class seems like it's going to be pretty great. I'm secretly a tiny bit excited.

I didn't realize how many people I know that go there until today. So many people asking how my summer was, how I am, yada yada. It was nice to be missed for once. I felt at home again...which is really weird. I've never really felt "home" there, but I sure do spend a ton of time there so I guess it makes sense.

I'm done with class at 10:30am but got out early since the first day they just give you a syllabus and tell you to leave. I went and had lunch and then went back to "building 1" to go take a pic while everyone was in class. I LOVE MANUAL FOCUS SO MUCH! I don't want to draw attention to myself...I do enough of that by not wearing sweat pants like everyone else.

Edit...sorry that's a huge picture.

See it here:
www.flickr.com . . .
On Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:12 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-21 23:23:28 rambling.

Day 51: "You're Trusting Me"

My therapist told me he feels like I'm starting to trust him and he doesn't want to mess that up.
In a way that terrifies me. But I feel it too, there's no denying there.

I'm feeling a little better the last few days. I think school starting kicked me back into maintaining happiness more efficiently. It's like everything is new again. I really like when everything changes again so I can start fresh (at being fake, sigh). Plus, no one at school knows anything about my struggle and they don't need to. So I have to be very happy for them, which (and I guess this is good) is leaking into the rest of my day.

Also in my weekly email thing to my therapist, I told him about how I wouldn't mind a label. He said he could give me one, "it wouldn't be hard," and continued to explain how labels are good for insurance companies, course of treatment, etc, but besides that they're kind of negative. I agreed...but I still kind of want one.
When he said "I could give you one," I almost said "yes please."

I was in a really snarky mood today though, I think he maybe found that a little weird. But then after all he knows I'm bonkers anyway.

I usually sleep a lot, like 9-10 hours which means I'm awake for 14-15 hours.

Now I sleep around 6-7 hours, leaving me awake MUCH longer than I'm used to. These last two days are dragging to the nth degree.

Edit:
Well so what this really has to do with anything is I love dandelions. They're nature's perfect geometric symmetry. They're beautiful but destroy. Their little seeds float away free and start new, only to destroy more.
Everything about dandelions, I <3 and relate to.
On Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:19 PM
FLICKR

www.flickr.com . . .

So I have a flickr like the rest of everyone who takes pictures and am definitely loving it. I feel like the image quality after upload is a lot better but maybe it's my imagination. I post lots of pics on there besides my 365.

I don't want to trigger anyone, so a fair warning that there are pictures with visible scars. Similarly to many people I've found, it really helpful to photograph them (to accept them and whatnot). So stay away from the set "These Days" it you don't want to see that/it offends you.

I'm going to continue to post on here and there, and if you have a flickr please stop by and say hi. I have no comments...haha
On Thu Sep 23, 2010 09:51 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-23 21:53:20
Day 52: That Was Impossible.
I tried my hand at good 'ol panning.
It was impossible. Fun, but impossible.

Day 53: Look Up.
#1. Give Me a Reason and I won't Breakdown. I had a complete breakdown at work today. Info in my diary on here if anyone feels inclined to read it.
#2. Out of Focus. Pretty much sums up how I felt today.
#3. Take My Hand, Reach Out.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Fri Sep 24, 2010 08:46 PM
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2010-09-24 21:38:29
Ketchup time...not Heinz 57, but just to look at all your photos while I was gone to my class reunion (and catch up on about 450 emails in my "Inbox.") I can't comment on all of them that you took while I was gone, but I really liked Day 53 "Looking Up" which I hope is an affirmation of yourself, as was Day 49 "I am stronger than you think." I too, can write left handed...oh that's right, I AM left handed :P. I was also impressed by the photos of Day 45 with the multiple exposures. You should take a look at the works of Jerry Uelsmann and Edmund Teske who did much with multiple exposures. [Edmund Teske, who shares the same last name with me, is, as far as I know, not related to me.] He seems to have been "discovered" after his death several years ago and is now something of a "cult" figure in the West. He taught, I believe, at UCLA.

Both did a lot of multiple exposure things, though they worked in chemical photography and I believe did most of their multiple exposure work from discrete negatives and merged them in the darkroom. Both had a great deal of symbolism in their work, though I don't remember enough of it to point out the symbolism. Teske, who was gay in an era when one didn't ask or tell, had many subtle references to that fact but the references didn't hit you in the head in the manner of a Robert Mapplethorpe. Teske was also a noted landscape photographer in the Ansel Adams tradition and did a lot of documentary work for Frank Lloyd Wright.

Uelsmann is apparently still living and a Google search will show a lot about him. There is far less about Edmund Teske, but there are some gallery shows about him.

You seem to be getting serious enough about all this that it may be time to do some research and exposure to famous photographers. The current crop of camera magazines seems to be more "bells and whistles" oriented, but a great deal of my own photo aesthetic came from years of reading biographies of and articles and photo exhibits of great photographers. Some names (all very different in styles) you might enjoy Googling might include Ansel Adams, Richard Avedon, Ernst Haas, Edward Weston and his sons Cole Weston and Brett Weston, Irvine Penn, Alfred Eisenstadt, W. Eugene Smith, Gjon Mili and Ralph Morse (who I actually met once.) Some of these were the great photo essayists for Life Magazine in its heyday (Smith, Mili, Morse, Eisenstadt.) Most of these guys appeared in some photo magazines listing of "The Ten Greatest Photographers." There were also many famous women photographers such as Margaret Bourke White, Imogen Cunningham (who was an active pro into her 90's), Bernice Abbott. I'll think of more as they come to me. I'm not terribly conversant with the superstars of today, but that could be a challenge to you to find some, and perhaps be one yourself.
It was interesting to me to look at some photos by Eisenstadt and Gene Smith now that some books have been published which show not only their famous photos but also their contact sheets where you can see how many truly crappy shots they took to get the photos for which they became famous. None of these guys had the benefit of digital cameras where you can get hundreds of photos on a single chip (I took all 514 photos of my Alaska vacations on one single chip) and down load them almost instantly on a computer. There was one photographer of my formative era of some repute who literally could not afford to develop his hundreds of rolls of film. He was killed, but his undeveloped film went to the Photo Archive Center of the U of Arizona (or maybe Arizona State) where they were developed and at least contact printed.

Jon
On Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:01 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-24 23:03:01
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-24 23:03:34
Wish List Time. AKA Everything I want ever. (This is going to get RIDICULOUS by the way. I mean ridiculously crazy. Ignore me. I just want somewhere where it has everything so I don't forget, hahaa)

For when I win the lottery :]

Macbook pro, 15in $2,000
Lightroom (3?) $300

50mm f/1.4 $400 (canon)
70-200mm f/2.8 $800 (sigma)

External flash of some sort...haven't done enough research and scoping around at this point. Perhaps the 430EX II $300
(But then of course I would want a other lighting equipment...flash stand, reflectors like one of those sweet 5-in-one types, soft boxes yada yada) OOOO flash is a whole 'nother can of worms.

Rc-6 remote $25
Rocket air blaster + lens pen $20 (really NEED to get this now)
Some type of foamy padded insert so I can carry around my camera without freaking out. $20
Hot shoe mount bubble level $15

Canon D10 $300 for when I get into taking shots underwater, haha

This $20
photojojo.com . . .

And this $18
photojojo.com . . .

Eventually another body (Mark 5D ll hahaaaa)

---

Alright, but really

Buy any time soon:

A remote
Bag/some way to transport better ie padded insert
Air blaster and lens pen

Ultimate 3
#1. Macbook. I'm about 1/2 way to having the money for it as of this week. I NEED to buy this first and foremost. My computer is dying FAST.

#2. A lens, either the 50mm f/1.4 canon or 70-200mm f/2.8 sigma (dreaming).
Really, I'll buy the 50 1.4 first. It's cheaper, and more practical for me at this point. Even though the 70-200 is AHHHHMAZING. I've only heard good about it, really. I swear everyone I talk to is about to marry this lens/equivalent (like the L version. If only I had $2500 for a lens, sigh. One day, I'll have that huge white lens with the red rim, one day). It's also freaking huge and heavy and I'll be afraid of people coming and stealing if off my neck. It's definitely not a grab and go lens.
So yes, 50 1.4 first.
Check.

#3 Lightroom. I'll probably REALLY be wanting it once I get the macbook so I'll have to decide if I want a lens first or this. That's going to be tricky.

/end of crazy wish list
On Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:37 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-24 23:44:23
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-24 23:47:24 Holy Grammar craziness Batman!

Day 54 - Motivation

The day after you have a mental break is never really fun. It's actually really horrible for a number of reasons.

For example, I was so embarrassed seeing my co-workers again today because I'm "fine" now. It makes it seem like yesterday was a fake-out.
See everyone I'm great today, can't believe you thought I was crying and hyperventilating on the floor yesterday, that wasn't me!
It's really just me not being able to justify...like I'm not bad enough...ak, I don't know.

I kind of told my Dad about the break...he remarked on how I was/am "Doing so well."
Haha, yah. That's not true.
"I know you hide," he said, "but I thought you were doing better."

Then I told my Mom on the way home from work very nonchalantly.
"Oh by the way, if Phillip (my boss) says anything like "I hope Madison is doing better" to you when you see him next it's because I kinda broke down at work yesterday."
*Silence*
"You rode with Melissa right (to work). You had a good day...?" she said inferring that I had no reason to have a breakdown because after all, I got to freaking to carpool to work. Yuck.
To her it's still such a day-to-day thing. Like she thinks I must wake up fine and get sad because something bad happens or I don't get my way. Still to this day she's that dense about what's going on. And I've flat out TOLD her.
This, THIS Mom, is why you don't deserve me talking to you.

Anyway, motivation is the word of the day. I had none, I have none. I want OUT.
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 04:15 PM
Day(s) 55: Apppppple.

They opened a Apple store in the city downtown. My sister and her apple-loving boyfriend went down at 6am and stood in line until they opened at 10. I got there right in time for opening. Needless to say it was VERY exciting, complete with chanting and applause.

#1: Crazy people and crazy editing fun. This was WAY underexposed so I just went nuts with the colors. Purely for fun, I know it looks ridiculous.
#2: Happy (I was obviously taking pictures from outside the glass here...lots of reflection)
#3: Cute
#4: Apple front with the police and some of the line to get in
#5: All done, all happy. (Now it's time for me to go to dance)
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 04:36 PM
Day(s) 56: Light up the Darkness (with two alternatives)

Feeling down, nothing new.
Sat around an moped, resisted the urge to do what I want. Thought about what I was doing wrong.
By pointeprincess5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 864, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 06:59 PM
I've been lurking on here and looking through this project and I absolutely love it. You have a natural talent that shows in every photograph you take (even if it's just "for fun"). I would love to do this (I love taking pictures), but I don't have a good camera. Hmmm... maybe I'll put that on my wish list. This is an awesome idea by the way. I hope you don't mind if I steal it? =] I love the dress in your last post. It looks gorgeous on you. I know you said you've been feeling down and I really hope you feel alright soon. Your pictures are beautiful and you have so much inspiration that I never would have thought of. Who would have thought to take a picture of school lockers? But they look great! Makes me wish my school lockers weren't all old and ugly and falling apart. Just wanted to stop by and let you know how much I enjoy your work. This might sound weird, but if I were getting married any time soon (I'm 18 and never had a boyfriend, so not for a long time! lol), I would totally ask you to be my photographer. I know you would get amazing shots. Keep doing what you're doing and though I may not be much help, I can lend an open ear if you ever want to talk/rant about anything.
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 08:52 PM
Wow, thank you so much for the wonderful compliment! (and thanks for commenting, I feel super special that I have a lurker!) I definitely don't know where photography will take me, but one day I would love to do stuff for my friends like senior pictures.

Definitely start a 365! I've learned SO much (especially using Flickr and Digital Photography School, aka DPS: they have a great email newsletter) online seeing other people's work. 365s are pretty big in the online photo communities I've been involved with, so you wouldn't be stealing my idea :D
I heard people come out of 365s completely changed, and I can see how that's possible. I see everything as a picture constantly. Images never leave my mind.

And by the way, my friend did a 365 project not really to expand her photography, but just to document her life. She just had a little point and shoot camera and took a random picture everyday. So don't let your camera hold you back! (even though I do understand wanting to wait until you have a nicer camera before if you really want a photography 365 not just a "I'm taking a picture everyday" 365.

Your pictures are beautiful and you have so much inspiration that I never would have thought of. Just wanted to stop by and let you know how much I enjoy your work.

Really made my day!

And my co-worker just got her wedding shots back and I was studying them intently. I unfortunately haven't been able to do a lot of shooting with people, but that's definitely something I want to happen very soon!

Lastly, thanks for offering to be a receiver of my rants. I have so many people that have offered to help, it's really humbling to know that people out there are willing to help.
By Orionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2706, member since Sun Feb 24, 2008
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 09:03 PM
pointeprincess5 wrote:

I've been lurking on here and looking through this project and I absolutely love it. You have a natural talent that shows in every photograph you take (even if it's just "for fun"). I would love to do this (I love taking pictures), but I don't have a good camera. Hmmm... maybe I'll put that on my wish list. This is an awesome idea by the way. I hope you don't mind if I steal it? =] I love the dress in your last post. It looks gorgeous on you. I know you said you've been feeling down and I really hope you feel alright soon. Your pictures are beautiful and you have so much inspiration that I never would have thought of. Who would have thought to take a picture of school lockers? But they look great! Makes me wish my school lockers weren't all old and ugly and falling apart. Just wanted to stop by and let you know how much I enjoy your work. This might sound weird, but if I were getting married any time soon (I'm 18 and never had a boyfriend, so not for a long time! lol), I would totally ask you to be my photographer. I know you would get amazing shots. Keep doing what you're doing and though I may not be much help, I can lend an open ear if you ever want to talk/rant about anything.

I'm doing a 365 with my cell phone camera :) /hijack

imadancer, I love your photography. I think my favorite of these is "Day 48: Strength"; I love the lighting and the concept. Also, the "These Days" set on Flickr was amazingly moving. It's a brave thing to be able to post pictures like that, and the photos themselves are beautiful. I'm inspired!

Also, I want to let you know that if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm only a PM away. I've been there, in a way.
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 09:21 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-26 22:53:56
Orion wrote:

imadancer, I love your photography. I think my favorite of these is "Day 48: Strength"; I love the lighting and the concept. Also, the "These Days" set on Flickr was amazingly moving. It's a brave thing to be able to post pictures like that, and the photos themselves are beautiful. I'm inspired!

Also, I want to let you know that if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm only a PM away. I've been there, in a way.

Oh my gosh you two, you're both going to make me cry. It really is completely shocking that anyone would like this, and it really amazes me (and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside) that I could inspire someone else. It really makes me speechless.

I found specifically three people on flickr that had self harm pictures and I found them simply stunning. How they could share that part of themselves, and use it as another way to express themselves inspired me definitely to follow suit in a way.
I've found it kind of freeing in a way. There is a huge disconnect between my internet self and the self people see in person. Being able to share that part of my life, even if it's to people on the internet where no one really knows me, hopefully helps me a little to share my struggle with people in my non-internet life. Maybe one day I'll be as open as I am on the internet with people in my life...maybe some day.
By Orionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2706, member since Sun Feb 24, 2008
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 02:55 PM
I know exactly what you mean when you say that you're a different person online. I know that applies to almost everyone, but especially in the context of things like self harm and mental illness, it's so much easier to open up over the internet. I'm pretty sure DDN knows more about me than almost anyone in my life, and opening up here makes it easier to talk about things in real life sometimes.

Also, I'd really like to see the people on Flickr you mentioned - do you have links? I'm struggling with my own scars, too.

Keep taking pictures, lady :)

Comment #9259259 deleted
Removed by Odessa (22571) on 2010-09-28 22:18:52 I am taking this down because it is WAY too triggering to be allowed on Dance.net. We have so many members struggling with self harm issues and this sort of graphic portrayal of self injuring is triggering on a HUGE scale.

On Thu Sep 30, 2010 09:13 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-30 21:14:17
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-30 21:14:51
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-09-30 21:24:21
^ Kateeeeee you got me banned, haha! I should have thought before I posted those links...anyway. I'm back. I do feel official now that I've been banned. You're not a DDNer until you get banned for being stupid, right? :]
I guess I've been spending too much time on flickr and other websites when I think it's okay to post those on here...I didn't even think about not being able to post them here...even though there was a warning...and they were links not direct pictures...

Anyway, I hope to have some pictures up soon.
I've been shooting A LOT so I have a ton to choose from/edit etc.
On Thu Sep 30, 2010 09:22 PM
Day(s) 57: Went to the park, did the "bridges" challenge from DPS this week, which was a very literal picture unfortunately.

Walked around, took a million more pictures, went home.
Here are just a few pics from the day
On Thu Sep 30, 2010 09:31 PM
Day(s) 58: Experimenting.

Lens flare, CHECK
Bokeh, CHECK

#1: I loveeee the flare and shadows here.
#2: Fall is here.
#3: Flare and bokeh, and over exposed. :D
I like it anyway.
#4: Not super sharp, but it was EXTREMELY WINDY. I had to stand there and wait for it not to be completely un-manageable because of how windy it was
#5 and #6: Last photos of the night
On Thu Sep 30, 2010 09:38 PM
Day(s) 59: Life in the Hoop

#1: My wonderful, beautiful instructor tandem hooping.
#2: All that is right in the world
#3: Zooming out while the shutter is open is FUN
#4: In the flow.
#5: Pretty bokeh
#6: I'm really proud of this
On Thu Sep 30, 2010 09:52 PM
Day(s) 60: Fed Up.

I'm fed up. Flowers are pretty.

The experimenting continues. Today, giant f/stop numbers and slow shutters, IE "macro", haha

(These all are SOOC (straight out of the camera), by the way.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:30 PM
Day 57, This is a nice set...I like the perspective on the bridge and the depth of field exhibited here. In the 2nd and 3rd photos I like in particular the compostional device of the arc of tree trunks and the repetition of them. Not everything has to follow the Rule of Thirds.

Day 58, The first photo is super dramatic. I've never really managed to use flare as a compositional tool, but you managed it quite well.

Day 59, I give up...how the dickens did you do photo 2? You experimentation is really freeing you up...you are trying stuff I've never really contemplated and the last one is mystical.

Day 60, I don't understand why you say "fed up" certainly not on photographic grounds. You could make (and sell) posters of any one of these. I love the extreme depth of field. How slow was your shutter? I'd think you'd have to have used a tripod. And I think that the last photo in the series is a very nice change of pace. A lot of folks shoot straight into the flower with varying degrees of success (I was successful with daisys and black-eyes susan, because they are flat LOL and I can spell them) but I think the profile of the last flower is very nice.

Jon
On Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:15 PM
Day 59, photo 2 was a guy spinning fire poi, something like this
www.youtube.com . . .
I looked up the Exif data on Flickr, and I shot at a 2 second shutter speed, which caused that crazy pattern of light around him.

Day 60, the "fed up" is referring to life in general, not the photography. I'm getting frustrated with how I am...how I think...what I've done...it's all just...yucky.
Photography is really saving me right now.

Some info on the flowers:
#1: 1.6 sec shutter, f/29, ISO 1600
#2 (my actual photo of the day): 1 sec shutter, f/18, ISO 1600
#3: 1 sec shutter, f/18, ISO 1600
#4: 2 sec shutter, f/32, ISO 1600
#5: .6 sec shutter, f/20, ISO 1600

No flash throughout, tungsten white balance, all manual focus, and all straight out of the camera. I shot this inside with two lights that are above and can swivel so I messed around changing direction of the lights. I'm trying to experiment with light as much as I can without having actual lighting equipment.

And yep, I'm using a tripod. I LOVE having a tripod, it's opening up so many photo opportunities for me. I'm so, so glad it was the first thing I bought for my camera.

Thanks for the comment, Jon! You make me feel so good about my skills, if you can even call them that.
Page:
Page 3 of 231 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 19 20 21 22 23

ReplySendWatch