Forum: Arts / Photography - Artistic

Page:
Page 4 of 231 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20 21 22 23
re: 365 Please
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10712, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Fri Oct 01, 2010 05:41 PM
Big luck for your photo diary. Having done one myself I know that on some days it can be pretty hard (for example I had a time where I worked as an extra and I had 14-17 hours working days, it´s EXTREMLY hard to make yourself to take a photo after a that long day instead of falling to bed immediatly). So far you do a really great job!

Btw, the result of my 365 diary was that I´m now slowly on the way of becoming a professionell photographer. So much can happen within a year, bad things but also really good things. Enjoy the good moments!
By Orionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2706, member since Sun Feb 24, 2008
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 02:24 AM
AHHH. I leave for a few days and I get you banned :( I'm sorry love! I'd like to see the links though, if you want to PM them to me.

Also, WOW, I love the hooping pictures.
By imadancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2400, member since Wed Nov 30, 2005
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 05:34 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-10-03 17:41:21
Day 61 - Ideas in a Jar

My sister for her 20th birthday asked people to write her down prompts of things for her to create in her sketchbook.

This is the result.
(Really crappy pictures)
By imadancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2400, member since Wed Nov 30, 2005
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 05:40 PM
Day (s) 62: Birthday the 20th
It was my sister's 20th birthday, which means lost of pictures. I think around 300 for the day. It was really hard to narrow them down!

#1: Order and Chaos
#2: Beautiful Sister
#3: Lean on Me
#4: Still having a lot of fun with DOF and bokeh
#5: Macintosh (a real Macintosh apple too!)

Part two below
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 05:44 PM
Day 62 Cont.

#1: Cuties (this was WAY over-exposed...I did what I could but it's still pretty intense)
#2: Cuties minus boyfriend
#3: 20 Years
#4: Whohoo low light and some fancy DOF :D
#5: Ghost Town
#6: Light up the Night
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 09:27 PM
The MAC photo is VERY clever. How many apple did you have to go through to get the bite perfect?

A few days ago you said something about doing more people photos. Judging from the ones you do of your sister, I think that would be a very good idea. I used to avoid that sort of thing when I started (I was about your age or a little younger and at $5.00/roll for processing in 1958 dollars I didn't photograph very much.) Then I got a girlfriend (now my wife) and suddenly people photography became more interesting to me :). I made a lot of money some 20 years later photographing people and I loved doing it.

Jon
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:13 PM
My sister's boyfriend actually only took two bites to get that perfect Apple-apple. It was a VERY tart apple too, so he was thankful he didn't have to bite anymore than that :D

And I indeed enjoyed shooting with them for the day. My Mom said she was hiring me as the photographer for the day, haha. That was my present to my sister or something.

I hope once rehearsals are in full swing for the annual New Year's show my ballet studio does, I hope I can go try my hand a bit at shooting them as well.

I think I'm starting to not be quite as shy either with my camera in public, but there are still some boundaries I feel a little weird about...and it's not a huge DSLR by any means, but it's still hugely obvious when I pull it out of my bag. But I think I'm getting there. Still at school I feel a little weird, but pretty much everywhere else I'm walking around with it around my neck at all times.

At this point I'm dreaming of doing something I love and getting paid for it. Be it this or something else. I guess everyone wants that, really, but still it seems absolutely amazing.
By Orionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2706, member since Sun Feb 24, 2008
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:27 PM
^ Totally know what you mean about the shooting in public thing - I always feel weird walking around with my camera, like people are going to think I'm a stalker or something.

And YES, shoot more people!
(that sounded weird.)
Your pictures of your sister are gorgeous, and you really seem to capture her naturally. I'm impressed :)
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Mon Oct 04, 2010 03:55 PM
The first cuties with the boyfriend blurred could totally be a magazine spread ad!! Seriously.
Your photography is totally jumped like 16 levels since you started!
Your creativity and natural talent have done you well. You're like a gifted Jedi in training.
On Tue Oct 05, 2010 05:55 PM
Orion wrote:

And YES, shoot more people!
(that sounded weird.)
Your pictures of your sister are gorgeous, and you really seem to capture her naturally. I'm impressed :)

Oh I'll be shotting people like an assassin for sure, hehe.

Reidfidleir wrote:

The first cuties with the boyfriend blurred could totally be a magazine spread ad!! Seriously.
Your photography is totally jumped like 16 levels since you started!
Your creativity and natural talent have done you well. You're like a gifted Jedi in training.

Aww, thanks so much. I've always wanted to be a photo-Jedi!
On Tue Oct 05, 2010 07:08 PM
Day 63 - Rainbow sky

No motivation...sorry

But look! The next day this came out of me, pictures 2 and 3 (I JUST noticed the correlation). Thank you sky for inspiring my makeup. I don't plan my makeup at all, I just do it...very interesting, I didn't plan that at all
On Tue Oct 05, 2010 07:38 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-10-05 19:51:34
Day 64 - Happy Drawing
Just my sister and her drawing prompts. She asked everyone to send her prompts for her birthday and was very sad that she only got a couple of them before her birthday. But the day after she got lots.

"They look like gum balls"

Day 65
#1: Narcissism. This one's for my therapist. I'm not going to really explain that, but he'll get it. (I sent him my flickr link because "it's more of me than anything else can be". Which makes me feel a little weird now; he mentioned that he saw that he was a footnote in a few of my images. I felt a little awkward about that, but really there's no need to feel that way. He knows enough anyway, what's a little more)

He asked me out of nowhere (and I REALLY mean nowhere) "How has your anxiety been this week?"
Since when have I had anxiety?
I reply shocked with "Huh? I don't know."
"I know, I know, direct question."
I'm confused.

#2: [I'm] building perfection
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Tue Oct 05, 2010 09:41 PM
Madison, look at your middle photo...self-portrait. And then Google the Greco-French singer Nana Moskouri, if you are not familiar with her, from about 20-30 years ago. She had the same "trademark" glasses and you are such a dead ringer for her, you could play her in a bio-pic. She was one of my favorites when I was studying French. I could actually understand her lyrics.

Jon
On Wed Oct 06, 2010 09:00 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-10-06 21:03:03
^ I see the resemblance, Jon :D

Day 66 : Begin Again
Something really bugs me about the layout I choose for that...but I'm much to lazy to change it plus I have a 5 page paper to write...yuck. I'll settle for now.

The sun wasn't showing when I woke up today.
All there was was darkness.
Relaxing, perfect darkness.
And me falling deeper into the hole.

I'm so done.
My mindset is gross.
It's probably because I've been listening to beautifully painful songs all day.

--

Hidden for length, and mopey, depressing, triggering nature of my writing
Spoiler: Show
What I do instead of taking notes in English lit: message-in-a-message-poetry

The days are so long
I
wish and I
want
the days to end; for them
to
finish themselves already.
"Die"
I say to the days. I start
To
dim and
kill
any hope left for
myself,
and hope
for
better days unlike
these:
softer and quieter
days
that blend
to
perfect shades of grey.
"Be
better," they say, before it's
over.

#2 and #3: When the Sun Comes Up (I take pictures and get lens flare!)
Okay, I have to admit I'm a fan of lens flare after seeing such cool-looking flare on flickr. I've yet to get that super cool "WHOA FLARE" picture, but I still like 'em enough.
On Wed Oct 06, 2010 09:24 PM
imadancer2 wrote:

^ I see the resemblance, Jon :D

Of course you have to see a photo of Nana in her heyday which was the 60's 70's, maybe before. I believe she is in her 70's now. I think she's older than me and I'm 68. Still an attractive lady and I think she still wears the trademark black glasses.

Her songs (usually in Greek or French) were pretty neat too. Moving and uplifting. I was introduced to her by a French teacher.

Jon
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 01:06 AM
Day(s) 67: In Order to Stay Separate

Nothing to explain right now.
I just wrote a huge narrative from therapy (that's in my diary on here)...then I wrote my 4-page essay on coming of age in literature and I'm all writing-out.

I'm separate.
I'm far away.
I'm floating by.
I want it that way.

Just let go.
It's so perfect when you let go.
---
I hear these words coming out of my mouth, pathetic words, whiny words, words I should keep to myself, and I have an automatic response of "Holy crap you're stupid."
It's really not fun realizing things about yourself that are just HORRIBLE.
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:52 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-10-08 22:55:06
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-10-08 22:55:59
Day(s) 68:
#1: The Sun is Gone.
#2: Alternative

Which one do people out there like better, I can't decide!

#3: Just a random picture of a four-strand braid I did on my co-worker today that I thought looked pretty. She LOVES her hair being played with and I love trying new things so it all works out

I hate that I cut off the bottom of it...and the side of it.
Geeze work on your framing huh?
In my defense I had a limited white "background" (ie piece of printer paper)

---

"Have you called her?"
"Well, no, I haven't really," I admitted.
"That's why you don't have any friends," she said.
Is it too much to ask to feel needed for once? It it too much to want someone to come to me for a change instead of me constantly running to them?

I guess so.

---

We had seminar in literature class today. The prof just sat there spying on the three groups' conversations about our essays.
I've never felt so embarrassed...I don't like sharing my writing anyway, but I don't really care since I just hand it in. I never see her read it, I allow myself to think that she doesn't read it anyway. And she's just sitting there, jotting down things when she sees people talk. Does she think that doesn't put everyone on edge? How does she not notice that?
But we were getting participation points. So I blabbed something pointless and hoped she looked over and saw I was talking.
I am involved though, I'm paying attention, I'm thinking, I have opinions, I just keep it to myself.

I hate talking in class.

---

On Sat Oct 09, 2010 07:34 AM
I suspect there is some symbolism with the sunflowers. Don't be afraid to do a daring positioning of objects in a still life. Since it is digital and you can take a lot of shots, experiment with the composition. Do you wear your glasses when shooting? I don't because I have my diopter correction dialed in on my Nikon and with my older "film" cameras, before they had dial-in eye correction, I bought manufacturers corrective eyepiece lenses. So my glasses (which I wear all the time) are on my forehead when I shoot. The whole point was to be able to see all four corners of the viewfinder image. BTW...because of my glasses (and I use progressive bifocals) I have a great deal of trouble using my wife's "point and shoot" cameras with no optical viewfinders. Holding the camera away from my face seems very unnatural.

I like the concept of the drying sunflower.

Your braid photo, which you label "random" does illustrate a very important point and that is the role of specular light (that's the white marks on the braid and hair) in giving depth to what is essentially a monochromatic subject. I have to use specular light when I've shot photos of my kids' black labs (they both have one) otherwise the dogs just look like black blobs. In formal portraiture we often used a "hair light" to do this, or positioned the subject outside to catch some of the sun's light.

I hated it when English teachers read portions of my essays in class. I never had any particular problem talking in class (sometimes when I wasn't supposed to) but sometimes it got very annoying in graduate school where we had small group seminars where I had to give a presentation and the teacher kept argueing points WHILE I was presenting a paper. Like...shut up until I finish and then I'll argue any and all points.

I also had one European professor who interrupted me with "Oh you dumb s**t, you know that's not right!"...but I was! I didn't see this, but friends of mine said he would do the same thing in the middle of exams. He'd wander around the classroom during the exam, read over the shoulders of the students while they were writing the exam and tell them right there they were wrong. Bleh!. I was happy when I found out he didn't get tenure.

Jon
On Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:45 AM
Jon,

Yep, definitely some symbolism there. On flickr, I named the picture "The Sun is Gone and I'm Looking Up"
I wake up in darkness now. I can look up and it doesn't hurt. That's always nice. (I've had a headache for 3 years. It never stops, I go to sleep with it and wake up with it. Sometimes it gets better, but it hasn't gone away completely. It definitely gets worse too, that's for sure. And I've always seemed sensitive to light which the headache doesn't help. I've been to the doctor twice about it and they don't care...it's a little annoying. My therapist said "That must be hard to live with" which I replied to with "You get used to it. I always get used to things.")

And yes, I'm guilty of shooting with my glasses on. Not really by choice, it's actually quite annoying. And I feel like I've read something about Canon having weird viewfinders...like you can't quite see everything, or as much, as Nikons.

And it's funny you mention using point and shoots. My friend's sister had me take a picture of her and my sister with her P+S and it felt SO wrong. Not being able to hold it up to my eye, and then seeing the image after I took it and how the white balance was all weird - yucky auto - and the DOF was all flat and boring. It all reminds me of how much I love my camera, and how much I don't miss point and shoots/auto.

Aha, thanks for the "specular light" explanation. That makes a lot of sense.

And I'm glad others share my annoyance with education :]
Eww, that last prof sounds horrible! I've been pretty lucky really, because I look them all up on Rate my Professors before I register for classes, but still I think they're all pretty crazy.
On Sun Oct 10, 2010 02:25 AM
imadancer2 wrote:

And yes, I'm guilty of shooting with my glasses on. Not really by choice, it's actually quite annoying. And I feel like I've read something about Canon having weird viewfinders...like you can't quite see everything, or as much, as Nikons.

I don't think this is a big issue in Canon's vs. Nikons. I don't read camera reviews anymore (I don't even get any camera magazines) but when I did the reviewer would state the percentage of the image you could see in the finder...and one brand would be something like 98% and another 97% which is really not statistically significant. In the days of film cameras when slides were pretty much the norm for color photos (1950's/60's) the paper or plastic frame covering the acutal slide would cover up a couple of percentage points of the original slide. Some said that was where the idea of showing slightly less than the full frame came from though I never saw that stated in any manufacturers' information.

Jon
On Sun Oct 10, 2010 03:26 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-10-10 15:30:24
Day 69 - Down and Up

I realize sometimes how frequently (without knowing) my pictures reflect my life...in a weird metaphorical way.

I dislike the stupid cable in the way though, but I don't really have an option to whether or not it was there.

- - -

I went to "It's Kind of a Funny Story" yesterday and if anyone looks at this stream/set GO SEE IT. It was very, very good. Funny, touching, sad, thoughtful, all wrapped up in a psych unit with a Zach Galifianakis bow on top.

#2 and #3: Just some bokeh and rain love
On Sun Oct 10, 2010 03:27 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2010-10-10 15:31:07

Day 70: Obsession

I like lip stuff a lot.
Obviously.

I'm took/am taking a break from my English lit homework right now.

- - -

I'm really tired and my head and neck hurts a LOT today.
On Sun Oct 10, 2010 03:53 PM
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2010-10-10 22:23:38
imadancer2 wrote:

Day 69 - I dislike the stupid cable in the way though, but I don't really have an option to whether or not it was there.

Don't knock that cable too much...It may be holding the building up LOL

Jon
On Sun Oct 10, 2010 04:13 PM
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2010-10-10 22:25:38 I Dropped a letter. The "h" in "much"
Chaconne wrote:

Don't knock that cable too much...It may be holding the building up LOL

HAHAHAA, that's exactly what my Dad said :D
On Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:39 PM
Day 70.

Keep this up and you might have a career possibility here. Art photography is fun but it is also nice to do some photography that pays the bills.

While not great art, the 2-3 thousand Little Leaguers I shot for each of three season per year for 17 years paid for an awful lot of my bills including keeping two kids in an out of state university and buying a condo for them to live in while there (which I still own and rent out some 21 years after my two kids had graduated.) I also did weddings and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, all as a sideline to my real job which was totally unrelated to photography. Even the great Ansel Adams (famous Western landscape photographer) shot senior portraits of students to make ends meet at early stages of his career.

Shoot cosmetics commercially and THEY pay for all of this stuff. :)

Jon
Page:
Page 4 of 231 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20 21 22 23

ReplySendWatch