Poll: Irish / Irish - Achievements

How Many First Places Did/Do You Need To Get Into Prelims?
By irishdancefreakmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 15, 2010 09:32 PM

I was just wondering because my school requires 8 + teacher approval which I think is pretty hard. I have two of my firsts and if I only needed 2 I would be in prelim.

ALSO:

how many years did it take you to get into prelim?

THANKS!!

16 Replies to How Many First Places Did/Do You Need To Get Into Prelims?

re: How Many First Places Did/Do You Need To Get Into Prelims?
By amidsmom
On Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:47 PM
DD's Teacher requires 8 firsts although she is moving her up with 7 of the 8. She was in Prizewinner for a year before she got her first first. She was in Prizewinner a total of two years.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:58 PM
In North America, the requirements vary by region. And then it is up to your TC if you can move up once you meet those requirements.
Here is a link with the requirements by region. It is a two page document.
www.idtana.org . . .
By bradiebabie
On Mon Aug 16, 2010 03:48 PM
When I moved up my TC required 1 first in all 4 dances. That was awhile ago, and I can't remember exactly how long it took me. I think it was about 3 years from the time I started competing.

My new TC requires 3, 1 soft and 2 hard, the reasoning being that 2/3 of your champ dances are hardshoe. Most dancers end up with all 4 before they move up though.
By angelfish10member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 16, 2010 04:13 PM
My teacher requires two in each dance. However, I moved up with 6 rather than 8 because I had a really good feis two months before Oireachtas and my teacher decided to move me up so I could go.
By irishdancingdog
On Mon Aug 16, 2010 04:23 PM
I don't even remember for our school, but one school in another region next to ours requires each dancer to get 3 firsts in every dance!!! Yikes- that would be tough! but all the dancers are very ready for prelims when they get there.
By Rosiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:18 PM
I needed one in each dance, but I think I got more than I needed...like, there were some dances I won more than once. I don't quite remember. I also ended up winning traditional set and treble reel a couple of times right before moving up to prelim. It took me almost exactly 4 years to get from beginner to prelim.
By ghilliegirlan
On Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:52 AM
My school requires 3 firsts in each dance, all of you who only need one in hardshoe and one in softshoe are sooo lucky. I understand my teachers reasoning behind it completely though, it just sucks for those of us older dancers who don't really have time to get all those first in our dancing careers :( When you say 8 firsts I assume you mean 2 in each of the four dances right, not eight in each dance?

-Ashley
By Tansey
On Wed Aug 18, 2010 06:21 AM
Our school follows the regional requirement of a first in either Reel or Slip Jig plus a first in either Hard Jig or Hornpipe. After that is achieved the teacher decides when an individual dancer is ready to move up. She usually likes to see multiple wins in each dance but not always. In dd's case she had over 30 firsts in soft shoes before she got any in hard shoes, so she was moved up very soon after she started getting hard shoe 1sts.
By McConomy_Fan
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 04:31 PM
Our school will normally move you up with 1 first in every dance, but when had won every dance but slip jig (which had 10 consecutive 2nds all missed by 0.5) I was moved up under TCs discretion. Our TC is pretty strict and WILL NOT move you up until you are ready. It took me about a year.
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 05:41 PM
When I moved into Prelims, I was with a different school than I'm currently with and it was in the mid-90's, but I had to get a first in every one of my dances - all 4 soft and 3 heavy - in order to qualify. My current school is much smaller and we get the opportunity to attend fewer feisanna, so it's really at the teacher's discretion who moves up. Of course, she takes into consideration the dancer's skill level and how they are currently placing in the level they are in.
By jiggymommamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 08:24 PM
Edited by jiggymomma (177926) on 2010-09-27 20:28:13
Our TC requires a 1st, 2nd or 3rd in all 7 prizewinner dances to move up. However, even with this, she can still use her discretion to wait until she thinks the dancer is ready.

Our TC's rules seem much easier than many school's, however, my dd was out of prelims in 8 months, so it seemed to work ok.
By IrishGuy57
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 05:49 AM
I chose other. At my school you would need 4 firsts, one in Reel, Slip Jig, Treble Jig, and Hornpipe. Being a guy though, I only needed 3 firsts, because I don't do slip jig. :)
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 03:17 PM
My TCRG said they want 3 first places to move up, though I forget if it's in all dances or if you can move up individually. I dance as an adult, so it doesn't really apply to me. She said it's 3 to ensure it's not just luck and that you are really ready and have it down pat before you move up.
By irishgirl26member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 04:05 PM
I needed 5 firsts: reel, slip jig, treble jig, hornpipe, traditional set. I got more than I needed though (at least four firsts in softshoe) because I hadn't gotten my last treble jig first. I was in Prizewinner for about six months until I moved up, and got my first first 2 months ago.
By boleyngrrl
On Wed Sep 29, 2010 03:07 PM
I clicked 8, but then I remembered we had to also get at least 1 first in trad. set, so I guess 9. :D Oops.

It took me 3 years to get into prelim, but one of those years I was novice/open, because my softshoe left something to be desired. I had at least two firsts in all my hardshoe dances and one in my SJ before I even got my reel into open. :D
By irishismylifemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 21, 2010 08:27 AM
Edited by irishismylife (224420) on 2010-11-21 08:31:46
In Western Canada (not sure about Eastern)We have to get two first places in our treble jig trophy to move up. once we get those two we are not allowed to dance in Prizewinner anymore.

It's hard to say exactly how long it took me to get into.
If you are talking about from the time I was in Prizewinner to champ it was about a year from the time ALL my dances were in PW.
If you are talking about from when I started dance I started when I was 11 and got into champ when I was 16. I have competed for about 5 years

ReplySendWatch