Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

Should I get traditional jazz shoes or pedini-style? Help me decide shoes please...
By roomx7609
On Fri Aug 20, 2010 05:03 PM

Our studio doesn't have a dress code, besides black jazz shoes. I have dance sneakers but I don't really like them (quite slippery) and I want to get my shoes from discountdance.com.
Shoes I'm interested in are the:
Bloch Flow (S0431L), which have the mesh under the instep and then neoprene at the top of the foot.
Capezio E-Series (EJ2). Traditional shoe but with neoprene under the arch.
Capezio Pedini Femme (PP323). These look completely amazing, but there are mixed reviews about them. Many people say the heel slips from under them when they are doing vigorous footwork. I know that would be a pain, but maybe that only happens to some.
Capezio Freeform Dancesleeker (FREE1). Lightweight mesh dance "sneaker" with all over bungee cords to mold to the foot. Hybrid between dance sneaker and jazz bootie.

Have any of you had experiences with any of the shoe styles, or know a really great kind you've worn?
I'm also in a contemp/jazz company at school (dancing 4 hours a week) then a jazz class on saturdays at my studio. The floor at my school is a SEMI-polished maple (similar to gym floor) and the floor at my studio is sanded maple--same room as the MANY tap classes--so it's been worn down a lot. I don't want the shoe to be slippery, or too sticky either.
Thanks in advance!

7 Replies to Should I get traditional jazz shoes or pedini-style? Help me decide shoes please...

re: Should I get traditional jazz shoes or pedini-style? Help me decide shoes please...
By staygold123
On Fri Aug 20, 2010 07:12 PM
Out of those, I have only tried the Pedini Femmes and the Capezio E-Series. I like the E-Series jazz shoes but they are kind of tough to get on at first. Personally, I hate using my Pedinis. They are very easy to turn in, but the heel slips off A LOT. At first it was only if I did a split, but as they stretched out the heel would fall off even doing a lunge (sp?). I would vote against them.
re: Should I get traditional jazz shoes or pedini-style? Help me decide shoes please...
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Aug 20, 2010 07:57 PM
I have a teacher who wears the Flow, and she loves them. I've never tried them, but they seem to work really well for her.

My favorite kind of shoe is the Bloch Super Jazz Shoe. They hold up really well through my 10 hours of wearing them every week, plus performances at football and basketball games, and are easy to turn in on wood floors and marley. They come in black and tan, and have a split sole and an elastic panel on the top.
By SinatraAngel
On Sat Aug 21, 2010 01:44 AM
I know a lot of people who have been happy with the Pedini but not the Femme. (They're similar but I don't know anyone who specifically had the Femme.) I also know people who liked the E-series a lot. I've used the Freedom for Irish for a while and I hated it. It's extremely lightweight and a little disorienting for me. Others might have better experiences but I know I really didn't like them.
I would go for the Femme if you want a different kind of jazz shoe or the E-series if you want a traditional.

:)
By hpballerina12
On Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:07 PM
I wear the Pedini Femme. It's overall a nice shoe and makes the feet look really nice. However, I can say that the heel does pop off occasionally. When I put them on, I kind of stamp my heel into the ground and then it usually stays put. Also, make sure when you buy them they are really snug, almost too snug. They will stretch a little bit.
By luvs2dancealot
On Sat Aug 21, 2010 07:17 PM
I personally haven't used any of these shoes but a lot of my friends have the E-Series and say it feels really low on the foot and are difficult to turn in. I have the Bloch Elastabootie and absolutely LOVE them! I have always loved Bloch jazz shoes so I would say get the Bloch ones!
By footundeez
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 06:10 AM
Pedini !
By OEPdanceislife
On Thu Sep 09, 2010 05:09 PM
DO NOT get the pedini!!!
they look pretty but the heel always slides off or gets pushed in, and if worn for too long they really make your feet hurt.

ReplySendWatch