Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Page:
Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3
Tailgating?
By Piano_on_Pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 04:26 PM

I'm sick of people riding my butt all the time! I drive the speed limit. If it's 35 mph, I'm going a constant speed of 35-36. It's ridiculous that people ride my butt constantly. I'm not going to speed because I have 3 discounts on my insurance that take it down quite a bit, and if I get a ticket, I will lose all those discounts. I pay for my insurance, and I don't want to lose more of the little money I get a month just because I cave in to some idiot pressuring me to speed up. If I was going under the speed limit, then I can kind of understand if someone's riding my butt, but going to speed limit is ridiculous. If it's a two lane road, then they usually pass me, no big deal, but the highway I have to go on to get to school, which I'm on for 12 miles, has a speed of 55, and it's a single lane highway, so they can't pass me, unless the traffic coming towards us is none. I go 55 constantly. And people are always on my butt.

It's frustrating because I think they're mad at me for not going faster, even though I'm going the speed limit, maybe one or two over just to make them a bit happier. Today, I was turning a corner, and it's one of those curved turns that "guide" you. And the light was green, I get on the turn, and there's a yield sign so, I let off the gas, and just barely touch the brakes just so I could glance to make sure there wasn't a car running a red light or anything. I mean, I could barely field myself slowing down, so it wasn't a drastic braking or anything, and this SUV that had been riding my butt ever since he got behind me honked at me. Then they rode my butt the rest of the way until I had to turn.

And when I say "ride my butt" I'm not saying they're close, I mean that they are literally on my butt, and if I had to suddenly stop, they would definitely hit me.

This is more of a rant, but also, I have a question. If someone's riding your butt, do you speed up a bit just to get them off, or do you go slower in hope that they'll get angry enough to go around you? My best friends slow down a little bit to make them mad, which I agree, it's nice to get revenge, but what's the right thing to do?
And should I feel pressured to speed up? Tailgaters make me nervous as crap and it's the only thing I hate about driving.

50 Replies to Tailgating?

re: Tailgating?
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 04:34 PM
Edited by Megan (87282) on 2010-08-23 16:35:44
On two lane highways, I'll slow down a bit, not to be rude, but to encourage the other driver to pass me- I drive a very small car without great acceleration and I also hate overdriving my headlights in the dark, so this does happen to me occasionally, especially at night. On multi-lane roads, I'm more likely just to keep up with the flow of traffic, though. I'm not a speeder but I do keep up with the cars around me 98% percent of the time. I always tell people I drive slower than my dad (a speed demon) and faster than my mom (a very nervous driver), haha.

I hate tailgaters too...like, feel free to drive as stupidly as you want, but leave me out of it, mkay? I drive 5km-10km over the limit most of the time (which is pretty much the norm in my city), and to me that seems reasonable (and as I said before, it lets me stay with the flow of traffic), so when people roar up behind me going 120 in an 80 zone and expect me to join them, I do get pretty annoyed.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 04:36 PM
Put your signal on and pull aside if there is a safe place to do so. I think this does two things. 1. Allows the losers to go by. 2. Makes me realize that they are big jerks that were making you uncomfortable.

I also dislike tailgating, if you are late, I guess you should have left earlier.
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 04:41 PM
Last month I was rear-ended on the highway thanks to douchebag who had to tailgate me. Mind you, I was in the fast lane (out of 4 lanes) and I was about 10 mph above the speed limit to keep up with traffic in the fast lane. Because I knew I was going fast, I kept a very long following distance from the car in front of me.

Yeah...traffic in front of me slowed to a stop very suddenly, I braked and stopped in time, and douchebag who was on my butt rammed into me because he didn't have enough time to stop. I spent the next month calling insurance companies and car shops to fix my bumper and get reimbursement. NOT COOL.

That said, I'm terribly annoyed with people who intentionally slow down traffic. If it's a four-lane highway and you're going exactly 65 mph in the fast lane, I will be annoyed and probably utter a few choice words. However, I won't tailgate...I'll just pass you. However, if it's one lane in each direction, there should be turn out lanes on the side every few miles or so, for slower traffic to pull over and let the fast cars pass.

Don't feel pressured to slow down or speed up. Go at what you feel is safe. If they are making you feel unsafe by tailgating, pull over onto the shoulder, let them pass you, and get back in your lane. It doesn't make a difference for you to be delayed half a minute.
By Orionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 04:45 PM
Edited by Orion (192531) on 2010-08-23 16:56:10 more ranting - I just got off the freeway, it's fresh in my mind
I HATE being tailgated. The first day I had my new car, I was driving to work and almost got rear ended by some moron who decided that me going 60 in a 55 zone wasn't fast enough for him. I swear, if he had hit my pretty new car, I would have flipped a you-know-what.

It's so annoying. If you want to go faster, PASS ME. That's the thing that drives me crazy the most - when people CAN pass you, but they decide to be an idiot and ride your bumper instead. And I would get it if I was driving below the speed limit, but I tend to consistently go about 5mph over; if I'm on the freeway, I go with the average speed of traffic. And I like to keep a decent distance between me and the car in front of me, because I can't exactly stop on a dime when I'm going 60-80mph on the freeway. There's one freeway that I have to take that has pretty stop and go traffic, so I NEED to be able to brake safely. Preferably without getting rear ended.

People who tailgate suck.
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 04:50 PM
Haili- That guy does sound like a douche, but you shouldn't be in the fast lane if the people behind you want to go faster. It is not actually the fast lane, but the passing lane for people who need to pass slower cars. In heavy traffic the rules get a little fuzzy, but I would recommend staying in one of the right hand lanes instead of dealing with people like that.
By Sumayah
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 04:57 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2010-08-23 16:58:24 weird texas law
^ Heh, the rules get really fuzzy here since you can pass on the right too. The middle lane tends to be the slow lane.

I know the sort of road you mean. I live in a fairly rural area, lots of two lane roads - FM's and RR's and RM's. One, Ranch Road #### has a speed limit of 55 mph but I swear people go 80-90 on it. I typically go 60-65 if there's other traffic, if not go the letter of the law. I haven't had a ticket since 1996 and I don't plan on getting another one. The cops also like to hide out and bust speeders and aren't very nice or forgiving. There are a few roads that feel like 45mph zones but are 40 and they'll catch you for going even a few miles over.

I'd recommend going with traffic on highways, and on single lane roads going the speed limit. Most roads have some sort of shoulder and I've slowed down and pulled over onto the shoulder when I'm front of the line and see no one coming.

Sometimes putting on your hazards when a tailgater is behind you works. They get that you're not just not driving, you're intentionally going the speed you are for whatever reason and it gives them the chance to back off and pass you when they can. Otherwise you can be like me and luck out that you pass a cop who sees you glance nervously at the tailgater behind you and pulls their butt over. Tapping the brakes to get them to back off is dangerous and not a game I'd play. I much prefer the hazard lights.
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 05:01 PM
Edited by iliah (130543) on 2010-08-23 17:03:05
^^Not in CA! At 11 pm, downtown LA is still packed. I've never actually seen/heard of anyone using the innermost lane only to pass people. Definitely couldn't have stayed in any of the slower lanes. To get to where I needed to go, I could only have stayed in that one lane. Any other lane would become merging ramps onto other freeways because that particular area is a VERY busy interchange for 5 intersecting freeways in the area. Yay for poor civil engineering planning :P

I was keeping up with traffic (about 75-80 mph)...I don't think anyone could have safely gone any faster, but he just had to follow me very closely. On the bright side it wasn't a chain collision.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 05:34 PM
I've discovered that a lot of people don't even consciously realize that they're being so annoying...they just drive like complete morons obliviously. Until they hit somebody, of course...then they sometimes wake up and realize that their habits suck.

In some places there are rules about how many cars can be lined up behind you before you are supposed to pull over and let them pass. Fun fact a friend of mine learned and he's not one to tell lies, heh.

To be perfectly honest, most speed limits suck...you can read up on the 85th percentile for some information on that. In decent weather, a good drive can safely drive over most speed limits perfectly fine...and yes, it's incredibly annoying when somebody insists on barely going the speed limit on a road where you could go faster and be fine, especially if it's only a two lane road without ample passing opportunities.

That's still no excuse though; tailgating annoys the crap out of me and people need to freaking quit. I'm typically going as fast as safely possible anyway, so for me to be tailgated is just extra stupid. Side note - today I'm really annoyed by idiots who pull out in front of me to turn right when I have the left turn arrow...luckily laying on the horn usually scares them a little bit.
By schuhplattlerPremium member
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 05:50 PM
Regretfully, there is no absolute solution.
I let them by when I can, sometimes with a slow, overly courteous wave of the arm out the window (but keep the hand open). If I can't let them by, I slowly take my foot off the gas pedal and let my car slow down easily but continuously.
If there is a real hazard ahead, I sometimes flash my brake lights but don't actually brake unless someone ahead forces the issue.

In my younger days, it was different. I sometimes taught a tailgater his first manner singular.

There are other tricks - a light flash, for example, which the tailgater will presume was a photograph. But these I don't recommend.

Finally, try to see inside a tailgater's car. Look for police equipment. Yes, very often a tailgater is a police officer on a very dangerous chase.
By kandykanePremium member
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 06:22 PM
I won't pull over on the shoulder and let a tailgater pass (unless they like have their emergency flashers or something). That's just dangerous. You never know what's on that shoulder, especially at night, in the country.

There is a reason that people who rear end other cars are ALWAYS at fault. Because they are reckless and stoopid.

kk~
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 06:57 PM
I've always waited until they look like they want to pass me, and I keep an eye out for a spot for them to do it safely. Then I'll wave them around (out of my window) and slow down as they pass so they can get back in the correct lane quickly (on one-lane highways). My Boyfriend always says "don't let them change how you drive." Driving while you're uncomfortable is just as dangerous as the habits they have.
By Sumayah
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 07:14 PM
kandykane wrote:

I won't pull over on the shoulder and let a tailgater pass (unless they like have their emergency flashers or something). That's just dangerous. You never know what's on that shoulder, especially at night, in the country.

There is a reason that people who rear end other cars are ALWAYS at fault. Because they are reckless and stoopid.

kk~

I should clarify, I mean paved shoulders, not gravel ones. And I move over enough that I'm obviously letting them pass, but I'm not totally off the road either. And I agree. The only time I think the rear-ender should not be at fault is when another car unexpectedly cuts them off (and that should apply to being cut off when the car pulls out from a dead stop in front of a car who doesn't have time to stop or when in traffic you have left enough follow distance, but some car cuts into that space and then has to slam on the brakes and you haven't had time to adjust your new follow distance yet).
By kandykanePremium member
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 07:19 PM
^ Even if the shoulder is paved, I won't. I see too many dead animals in the shoulders and other debris. Also, I was actually given a ticket once for pulling into the shoulder to make a right turn. I do the brake tap thing nd they finally go around or back off. It really burns me up when they won't pass in a safe spot but wait til it's like a no-passing lane and then they fly by you unsafely. I watched a car get pulled over for that nonsense once.

kk~
By contemp_is_rad
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 07:23 PM
I don't know about where other people here live, but where I am, even if you're overtaking, it's still illegal to go over the speed limit. The only time I ever speed is if there's somebody driving dangerously in front of me and I need to overtake to avoid danger. I like the idea of putting on hazard lights. Usually the urge is to give them the finger, but I never have in case it makes them even more aggro. In short, even if you are such a skilled driver that you can drive over the limit, you don't know the skill of other drivers around you. The speed limit is there for a reason! Grrrr at tailgaters :)
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 08:07 PM
One time while driving through Nevada on a one lane road, a guy in a truck was tailgating me for about 10km. There was no safe place to pullover, and the road was super windy, so I did not feel comfortable speeding up. About halfway through, I was really wanting to flip him the bird, but I decided to turn on my blinker, just to annoy him further, as I hate it when people forget to turn off their blinker. Well it definitely worked, as he honked about 20 times to try and get my attention. It definitely gave me and my boyfriend something to laugh during the rest of the trip.

People should leave earlier if they think they will be in a rush or have somewhere important to be. It's not my fault you didn't get up on time!!
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 08:11 PM
I know I already posted, but I wanted to share my worst tailgating story. It's nothing to some of your stories, but I was once stopped at the front of an advanced left turned lane and it wasn't my turn to go (ie: a RED light). This guy in a sports car came and stopped behind me and started honking for me to go. Yes, there wasn't any oncoming traffic, but the light was RED and you cannot turn left on a red, dummy! When I did go he rode my butt SO close that I couldn't even see his headlights and then when I turned a little later he swerved around me and sped off leaving about an inch between our side mirrors as he did so. I was FURIOUS!
By Piano_on_Pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 24, 2010 08:36 PM
^ Ah! That would totally make me nervous! I would spaz out if someone was riding me that close. I also hate when they swerve around you when you're about to turn, I'm like, if you're going to waste the energy to go around me when I turn, why not just have passed me in the first place?

All the major roads I drive on are single lane, so passing is like no where near a possibility unless there's little to none traffic. My mother said she slows down to make sure they're late.
re: Tailgating? (karma: 2)
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 24, 2010 08:50 PM
I can't take this thread seriously any more...every time I read "riding/rode my butt," it just sounds dirtier and dirtier yet with an attempt to be censored a bit. :P
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member
On Tue Aug 24, 2010 09:33 PM
I consider that the person behind me is probably having a spazz fit, and, if I stay in front of them longer than necessary, well, there will be TWO or plus lives endangered, not just one.

I first look ahead to find a SAFE place to pull over, and out of the line of traffic.

I put on my signal.. with enough time so they don't run into the back of my car (butt.. :P Munkenstein! :) )

I pull over.. and let them roar past me.

Seriously, there is NO POINT for being a mobile speed bump.
If this person is in a rush, or, needs to get some place as fast as possible it behooves all involved for you to get out of the way.

If not, there is the good possibility that said driver behind you might just do something really stupid, and make a bad situation even worse.

I remember a friend who REFUSED to pull over, because he was a guy. I'm not pointing fingers at ALL guys, but, I'm telling you, safest bet for all involved is to move off of the road. Safely.

Hope this answers your questions.

Tailgating for both parties is a stressful condition to be in.
Let the person pass.

Shadow.
re: Tailgating? (karma: 1)
By pondflyPremium member
On Tue Aug 24, 2010 09:57 PM
I just turn on the red and blue blinkies for a second and watch them drop off like a rock and never pass. :)
But, Shadow is correct, if you can merge over a lane safely then do so. I do it unless I'm turning right on a road, then they can be patient.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:21 PM
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2010-08-24 22:30:16
I consistently drive 5-10mph over the speed limit. Depending on the speed limit, no cop is going to pull you over for that. When I'm on a main highway I usually keep a cruising altitude of 70mph.

I do tailgate when necessary... because it works. It gets people to either speed up, pull over, or switch to a different lane. I can pass them and everyone's happy. But that rarely happens - usually if someone's going a tad under the speed limit, I ride their bumper for a few seconds, and then they speed up to the speed limit or usually a few mph over.

Usually tailgating isn't necessary. I really don't do it all that often, because I spend all my time in the left lane.

If you're on a one-lane highway doing 55 for 12 miles, sorry, but you're a jerk. I'd be on your butt with my highbeams on. I have to drive on one-lane highways for around 30 miles each day and nothing infuriates me more than slow drivers who won't let others pass. Also, trucks.

I've never seen a cop on the highway doing under 80. Cops are horrible drivers.
By Spookiesquemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:45 PM
Heart wrote:

I've never seen a cop on the highway doing under 80. Cops are horrible drivers.

/hijack
Last week a cop merged into my lane ahead of me. He then proceeded to slow until he was going 30 in a 45mph zone. To avoid riding his butt I had to pull into the slow lane to pass him. I felt completely awkward.
/end hijack

I consistently go about 5-10 mph over the speed limit but still get tailgaters behind me. They are normally always males in large trucks or SUVs. Seeing as I don't leave town when I go to work and run errands (driving fear prevents me from venturing out further right now) I just do my best to not pay attention to them. My mother, a lead foot in a two-seat sports car, also gets tailgaters behind her in the same description. She says she sometimes does the break tapping so they get the hint to slow down or go around. Myself, I just go with the flow of traffic (which is much faster than the speed limit) and if they still feel they need to ride my butt ( ;) ) so be it, I'll be turning left in two blocks anyway.

My friend on the other hand, drives so /slowly/. I am embarrassed to be in the car with her sometimes. I have caught her going 30 in 40mph zones, with cars on both sides zooming past her. I dare not look up into the faces of frustrated drivers as they look into the car to see who's driving. I do wonder what she does about the tailgaters. I am too busy trying to keep my mouth shut in telling her to go faster.

The speed limit is the speed limit. That is the speed in which you should be driving. If I am going faster and I get behind someone going the speed limit I slow down and leave enough space between myself and the car ahead of me without complaint. Even if I am late going somewhere. If they are going slower then the speed limit and there is room to pass, then I do. No big deal.
By TinyDmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Aug 25, 2010 01:17 AM
I tend to travel at the correct speed limit and often get tailgaters. It annoys the living daylights out of me. When I was with my ex, I used to drive an hour every weekend to get to his house. The trip was mostly along one straight three-laned road with a speed limit of 80km/h. People used to tailgate me and speed past me all the time so one day I decided to 90km/h. Guess what? I still got tailgated and people still sped past me. I decided to see if I could keep up with all the traffic passing me but when I got to 100km/h and I still couldn't keep up, I decided the experiment was over. What I learnt? No matter how fast you go, people will always go faster.

On a side note, I almost got t-boned the other day! It was so scary I just about freaked out and needed large doses of chocolate cake when got home. I was sitting in the left hand on a two laned road, waiting to turn right with my indicator on. There were clear demarcations that I was able to turn left, straight or right and there were also dashed lines indicating which lane of the road I was turning onto I should have turned into. There was a lady sitting next to me, in the right hand lane, who was turning right. There were also dashed lines indicating which lane she should turn into. The light turned green and we proceeded to go. I turned into the left lane as I was supposed to and just as I finish turning the corner, I notice that the lady is coming directly towards me. She turned from the right hand lane, straight into the left hand lane and nearly t-boned my car. I got on the horn and she turned round, looked at me and shrugged her shoulders as if she didn't understand what she had done wrong. I was so mad!
By ayyyshugamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Aug 25, 2010 01:36 AM
Don't ever move to Los Angeles.
Page:
Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3

ReplySendWatch