Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Page:
Page 2 of 3: 1 2 3
re: Tailgating?
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Aug 25, 2010 07:59 AM
I consistently drive 5-10mph over the speed limit. Depending on the speed limit, no cop is going to pull you over for that.

I got a ticket for five over the limit once, right by the exit I was preparing to take...never say never.

I do tailgate when necessary... because it works. It gets people to either speed up, pull over, or switch to a different lane.

Driving is like a big psychology experiment to me, haha...it's so easy to predict what most people will do. If they're in the left lane of the highway and refuse to speed up, I just get into the middle or right lane as if I'm going to pass...that usually gets them going. They don't realize that I'm not trying to be in front of them or dominate them or whatever...I just want to get where I'm going at a decent rate!

I've never seen a cop on the highway doing under 80. Cops are horrible drivers.

The cops around here are terrible drivers, too...it makes me crazy. Not to mention, in the past six months we've had one cop caught committing major arson, one who was caught beating his wife, another drove drunk and damaged his car then fixed it in a commercial shop to hide it, and a totally wasted cop killed one and severely injured two. The last one was just down the street from my office and all three were people who work here. At this point, I have an inherent distrust when it comes to cops and I know it sucks because they're not all bad, but aside from my friend's father being cool, every experience I've had with cops has sucked. They've been rude and/or useless every time.
By schuhplattlerPremium member
On Wed Aug 25, 2010 08:43 AM
I have dealt with rush-hour drivers in Los Angeles and New Orleans (which I found worse), but I swear, the worst tailgaters, if not the worst drivers overall, are Oregon log haulers. If Rush Limbaugh ever rode shotgun with one and survived, he would take up the cause of the spotted owl.
By saor_celticmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Aug 25, 2010 09:17 AM
I consistently do 5-10 mph over the speed limit and will still get tailgated.

The polite way to tailgate, if there is such a thing, is to flash you lights at the person as you approach them, this I don't mind & if I'm able to, I'll move over.

My sister when she'd be driving with me would turn around and hold out her arm in a stop motion and yell "back off". That would usually work. LOL. I don't think many people expect that.

I get tailgated driving down my street. It's 25mph down my street. I live about 5 houses from the end of the block. I always put my signal on about 4 houses away and start slowing down. Then I turn into my driveway & I get the person who honks at me, flips me off or tries to swerve around me turning. Sometimes all 3. You're on a residential street! Deal with it.
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:04 AM
I have to admit that people who go exactly the speed limit on a road where I can't possibly pass them really get on my nerves. However, I just have to grit my teeth and deal with it, because tailgating is dangerous, and I refuse to do it. No matter how annoying the driver in front of me is being, I'm not going to risk rear-ending them.

Winter is the worst. How do people not realize that you CANNOT TAILGATE WHEN THERE IS ICE ON THE ROADS?!?! It's just part of this whole phenomenon we have every winter where people act like they've never seen snow or ice before in their lives and have no idea how to drive in it.
By CatScratchDancer
On Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:33 AM
I have a tendency to either go the speed limit or up to five miles about and after a five hour drive the other day with tailgaters everywhere I almost makes me want to stop driving. In fact, when I can barely see the tops of the headlights of the eighteen wheeler behind me in my little Camry, holy heck is it frightening. It did make me feel a little bit better that after blazing by me like they were on fire I saw one or two pulled over further up the road (unfortunately not the eighteen wheeler). But I'm sorry to the annoying tailgaters, I'm going the speed I want to go and you can get annoyed or simply go around me. And I agree with kandykane, I am not pulling over.

And my all time favorite tailgaters (please note the heavy, heavy sarcasm) the ones who tailgate in either icy weather or when there is a torrential down pour. I understand that you might like putting your life on the line, but for the love of all things don't risk other's lives.
By Leigha_Ballerina
On Wed Aug 25, 2010 09:15 PM
They have just changed the speeding laws here where I live and you only have to be 4KM's over the limited now to be booked for speeding it use to be 10km's
By Beckymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 01, 2010 04:39 AM
Obviously none of you live in Australia :P If a cop even THOUGHT I was doing 5km (not miles) over the speed limit, I'd lose my licence for 3months on the spot because I'm a p plater.

So I'm sorry if doing the speed limit isn't fast enough for you, but I'm not about to lose my licence for you either.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 01, 2010 06:03 AM
^ Similar in the UK - it isn't police you've got to watch out for, it's speed cameras. And they'll flash you if you're doing (I think) 10% over the speed limit. Not much leeway in a 30mph zone.

On the other hand, if you're driving at exactly the speed limit for a long period of time you may indeed get pulled over. The only people who tend to stick unwaveringly at the speed limit are people trying too hard to be safe - i.e. drunks and druggies. That's the police's logic anyway. Usually works.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Sep 01, 2010 08:40 AM
I hate driving in LA and similar places where it is impossible not to tailgate because, if you slow down to get some space between you and the next car, someone will immediately zip into the space in front of you. Ditto if you are slower than everyone else because you are going the speed limit. The safest, or should I say least dangerous, way to drive in these places is to go with the flow. And if there is an accident ahead you'll be in it because everyone will pile up like a bunch of dominoes.
re: Tailgating? (karma: 1)
By kandykanePremium member
On Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:07 AM
I already replied to this thread a few days ago, but this morning when it popped up, I automatically thought tailgate PARTY! Lol. Must be the new football season. Speaking of, that would make a good thread....

kk~
By Leigha_Ballerina
On Wed Sep 01, 2010 05:41 PM
Becky wrote:

Obviously none of you live in Australia :P If a cop even THOUGHT I was doing 5km (not miles) over the speed limit, I'd lose my licence for 3months on the spot because I'm a p plater.

So I'm sorry if doing the speed limit isn't fast enough for you, but I'm not about to lose my licence for you either.

I am a aussie and the Laws in NSW have just changed, now you have to be within 4kph of the posted speed or you will be in trouble
By forgetxmexnot
On Wed Sep 01, 2010 08:54 PM
Edited by forgetxmexnot (157970) on 2010-09-01 20:56:09
Louise wrote:

On the other hand, if you're driving at exactly the speed limit for a long period of time you may indeed get pulled over. The only people who tend to stick unwaveringly at the speed limit are people trying too hard to be safe - i.e. drunks and druggies. That's the police's logic anyway. Usually works.

...Seriously? On the interstate, I'll normally set my cruise control AT THE SPEED LIMIT (which in my state is 70) or VERY slightly over. So because I'm using my cruise I have more chance of getting pulled over?

I also hate people tailgating, especially when I AM actually going over the speed limit or I'm passing someone like a semi and they decide to get all antsy about not being able to go 10 or 20 over. Ugh.

To add to the cops discussion, in the old town I used to live in (a VERY tiny town, we had like 3 cops) we had a cop say something about how someone should burn down the new family in town's house because they were black. A few weeks later, it burned down.
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:37 AM
Wow, can't believe how many of you speed 5-10 km over the speed limit. In Australia, we have really severe penalties on speeding and fines.

I got tailgated for the first time (keep in mind I'm only driven for about 10 hours-learner) and the car behind me was like I swear a cm away from me. Obviously, my speed limit is 80 km and it is nighttime so you are meant to leave a 4 second gap. So anyway, after a short distance they both decided to cross unbroken lines and cut right infront of me. Thankfully they were gone quickly, I'd say they were like 10 km over the speed limit (the general road users speed limit).
On Thu Sep 02, 2010 06:56 AM
Wow, can't believe how many of you speed 5-10 km over the speed limit. In Australia, we have really severe penalties on speeding and fines.

I, and a lot of other people, think it's more dangerous to obsessively try to follow a speed limit really exactly versus just being fairly close and doing what conditions allow. I'd much rather be around a person going 10mph over the limit while paying attention to the road versus somebody who keeps checking their speedometer to make sure they're traveling within a very specific boundary of speed.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Sep 02, 2010 07:49 AM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-09-02 07:49:42
Munkenstein wrote:

I'd much rather be around a person going 10mph over the limit while paying attention to the road versus somebody who keeps checking their speedometer to make sure they're traveling within a very specific boundary of speed.

Man, the auto companies should really make a device that would control your speed...while you're crusing...man, what is that thing called? SPEED CRUISING! That's it! :P

Dani
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Sep 02, 2010 07:59 AM
forgetxmexnot wrote:

Louise wrote:

...Seriously? On the interstate, I'll normally set my cruise control AT THE SPEED LIMIT (which in my state is 70) or VERY slightly over. So because I'm using my cruise I have more chance of getting pulled over?

I'm generally talking about local roads or dual carriageways rather than motorways, and I don't know anybody in this country that has cruise control save for my boyfriend's Jag, but yes. If you're unwaveringly at 30mph particularly if conditions are good and there are no speed cameras or traffic calming devices in use, then they think you probably have something to hide. Unless you're an L-plater.
By kandykanePremium member
On Thu Sep 02, 2010 09:26 AM
^ Really?? No cruise control?

I was cruising at 56 MPH at night one time on a dark country road. (The speed limit was 55.) A car tailgated me for about 10-15 miles. I was NOT going to go faster and there was no place to pull over. I came to a stop sign and the lights from the car behind me blinded me for a second and I didn't quite stop fully. The car behind me turned on red and blue flashing lights immediately. Yup. It was a cop. I pulled over and he started to give me a hard time til he saw I had a baby and a young child in the car with me and the stop woke them up and the baby began to cry. I was so ticked!!

I got a warning for the not-quite-stop and he let me go but he followed me all the way into the next town. It really annoyed me, but I was technically speeding, and he was just waiting for a reason to pull me over. Hardened criminal that I am, lol. Guess a young mom with babies made him think twice. I know he felt bad about waking them up.

kk~
On Thu Sep 02, 2010 09:57 AM
Edited by Munkenstein (71404) on 2010-09-02 10:02:02
Man, the auto companies should really make a device that would control your speed...while you're crusing...man, what is that thing called? SPEED CRUISING! That's it!

Meh, I don't trust a machine that much and there's too much stop and go on the highways around here anyway for the cruise control to do much good. And what's the point of using the cruise on a road with lights? Not to mention, I don't want them looking away from the road to fiddle around with the cruise either. That is, unless "speed cruising" refers to something else other than cruise control that I've not been able to experience in life, heh.
By JavaChip
On Fri Sep 03, 2010 01:27 PM
I typically go about 7 mph over the speed limit, sometimes a little more on the highways. I don't tailgate other people who are going slow though, if they are going under the speed limit a significant amount I will wait until it is clear and pass them. Otherwise if they are going only a couple miles over the speed limit, I'll just keep a few car lengths behind them and just deal with going a tad slower than normal. When I first got my license (a few years ago) I got really frustrated when people would tailgate me, so I would sometimes slow down until I was at exactly the speed limit, and set my cruise control at that. I don't feel like I should have to change my driving habits by speeding up or slowing down just because some impatient driver behind me needs to go more than 7 mph over the speed limit. I've kind of gotten over that now, and just drive more cautiously when someone is right up behind me.
By dance27
On Sun Sep 05, 2010 06:41 AM
I will admit that sometimes I drive on the faster end of the spectrum, but I would never ride on someone's tail as long as they were going the speed limit. In my area it's illegal to drive too far under the speed limit, and nothing bothers me more than when someone is driving 15mph under, no hazards, and won't let you pass. I try to stay with the flow of traffic, including times that the flow of traffic is moving faster than the speed limit. I'd rather be speeding but with everyone else than going more slowly and risk someone who's not paying enough attention riding up too close unknowingly (especially in thick traffic). I HATE tailgaters and unfortunately I learned to drive in an area where a lot of people do it. I tap my brakes, and while I know it's not super safe (I do mean tap, never slowing more than a few mph), I'd rather that than actually have to slow down due to traffic or an animal and get rear-ended. I've never had someone not back off after a brake tap. I got rear-ended last summer in heavy traffic because someone wasn't paying enough attention, and I had the seven-year-old I nannied in the car at the time- I didn't used to mind close riders as much but I never want that to happen again.
By Beckymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:01 AM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-09-14 05:44:24 profanity not allowed
Munkenstein wrote:

I, and a lot of other people, think it's more dangerous to obsessively try to follow a speed limit really exactly versus just being fairly close and doing what conditions allow. I'd much rather be around a person going 10mph over the limit while paying attention to the road versus somebody who keeps checking their speedometer to make sure they're traveling within a very specific boundary of speed.

Yeah but again I reiterate, if I did 10mph I would lose my licence if I got caught. So whether you think its more dangerous to keep to the speed limit is irrelevant, I won't speed because you are up my butt due to the fact you want to do more than the speed limit.
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 01:56 AM
I never speed in town. I get tailgaters all the time and it ticks me off. Don't put me in danger because you think you are above the law. Nothing makes me happier then when someone tailgating me zooms by me just to be pulled over by a hidden cop around the corner. I also never tailgate anyone, even if they are doing the wrong speed limit. If someone is coming up fast behind me and it is safe to do so, I get into the "slow" lane which is the right hand lane. The left lane is always for the faster drivers so it is rare you are stuck behind a slow driver.

The worst is school zones and playground zones. You can tailgate me all I want but I will not speed up. The speed limit is 30km/hr for a reason. So many kids play on front lawns without supervision. I actually saw the aftermath of a child getting hit while crossing the street to go to school. Just an unconscience body in the middle of an intersection. It was awful!

That being said, I do 10km/hr over on the highway. No cop in their right mind will stop you for doing that where I live because 120 is the slowest people go. The only time I have seen cars do the 110 speed limit is when they are driving rust buckets. Most people do between 130 and 150.
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:29 AM
Yeah but again I reiterate, if I did 10mph I would lose my licence if I got caught. So whether you think its more dangerous to keep to the speed limit is irrelevant, I won't speed because you are up my butt due to the fact you want to do more than the speed limit.

Just let me say first that you really need to stash the attitude before posting. We're all talking about opinions and we're all in different freaking countries...obviously not everybody's opinion will relate to your own experience. No need to get indignant. Not to mention, the speed limits people keep talking about don't parallel between MPH and KPH. It sounds like maybe Australia has higher speed limits than here which is why they'd enforce them with stricter policy? I don't know how the limits vary over there so I can't say for sure; I only know what people have said on here. The US could benefit from more restrictions being placed on new drivers, but that'll be the day, ha.

And by the way, from the first page:
That's still no excuse though; tailgating annoys the crap out of me and people need to freaking quit.

Reading comprehension and controlling rude knee jerk reactions are awesome things that work together well when having discussions online. :)
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:26 PM
TheMidlakeMuse wrote:

Munkenstein wrote:

I'd much rather be around a person going 10mph over the limit while paying attention to the road versus somebody who keeps checking their speedometer to make sure they're traveling within a very specific boundary of speed.

Man, the auto companies should really make a device that would control your speed...while you're crusing...man, what is that thing called? SPEED CRUISING! That's it! :P

Most cars don't have cruise control... none of my family's do. Back when I had my Dodge Caravan I would never use the cruise control anyway because it didn't feel like I was in control of the car. There's so many times I change my speed while driving - going around a curve, slowing down for a bump in the road, changing lanes, not to mention lights and traffic... I'd only ever have it on for a few seconds at at time. I never found it useful at all. I'd much rather be in control of all aspects of my driving.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:43 PM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-09-14 12:44:05
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-09-14 12:45:44
So weird. I use mine all the time. My back would kill if I had to have my foot pressing down on the accelerator for hours at a stretch on long trips.

And changing lanes? Slowing down? LIGHTS?! I guess there are some advantages to urban sprawl. Houston freeways FTW!

Dani
Page:
Page 2 of 3: 1 2 3

ReplySendWatch