Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Public Service Announcement: Make sure you check your tire condition!!!!!
By Wicked_Elphabamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 05:38 PM
Moved to Cars & Driving by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-08-23 17:42:45 moved to correct forum

Consider this from personal experience. My sister had surgery this morning, she told me that while she was in there to go get something to eat, as she knew I was hungry. So I did just that. :) On my way back, her front driver's side tire blew. I don't mean blew a little, it was shredded. I pulled over, called her husband and asked him for the number for the roadside assistance they have and the policy number. They came right out and changed the tire. (For everyone wondering, yes I do know how to change a tire, but it'd take me forever to do so and their roadside assistance is free so I'd let someone else get paid to do it, especially since times are tough, why not let someone else make money for it?) The man who changed the tire was very nice and commended me on my driving skills for being able to keep control of the vehicle and not wrecking it. :) (I really think it's my 5 years of driving an ambulance that has something to do with it, we drive in some crazy conditions!!!!!) So yes guys....NOT ALL WOMEN ARE BAD DRIVERS! :P After that was all said and done, I went back to the surgery center and collected my sister who was only happy I was ok, she said she wasn't concerned for her car, but more concerned I was ok. :) We made it home without further incident. She said she knew her tires were getting to the point where they needed to be replaced, but didn't know they were that bad. Then again, neither did I. We thought they'd need to be replaced in the next month or so. So, if your tires are getting to the point where they need to be replaced....REPLACE THEM! BTW, I'm fine, like I said, I didn't wreck or hit ANYTHING, not even a curb. :D I was just glad I was ok and didn't wreck her car. My guardian angel was definitely with me this morning!

BTW, for everyone wondering, my sister is recovering very well, feeling much better. :)

9 Replies to Public Service Announcement: Make sure you check your tire condition!!!!!

re: Public Service Announcement: Make sure you check your tire condition!!!!!
By kandykanePremium member
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 05:45 PM
Glad you're okay, a blown tire is scary, especially a front tire. Yikes! I can change a tire, if I have to but I always use my roadside assistance as it is safer.

To check your tire tread yourself, while the car is in park, turn your front wheels to the right or left, get a quarter and put the quarter in the center tread slot with George's head pointing toward the tire. The tread should touch the top of George's head. Get your tires rotated every third or fourth oil change and have the pros check at that point, they can spot any bulges or unsafe spots. Sometimes, a tire will blow because it's a faulty tire, not just because it is worn out.

Best wishes to sis.

kk~
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 05:55 PM
Sometimes, a tire will blow because it's a faulty tire, not just because it is worn out.

That's what my sister said. But, it's a moot point by now.

I posted this in general so more people would see it, but whatever.
By kandykanePremium member
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 06:10 PM
That's funny, I thought I saw this in Debates. Weird.

Good advice, regardless.

kk~
By DefyingGravityPremium member
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 06:16 PM
You had posted it in Debates, not General.
By tumblebugPremium member
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 06:24 PM
Someone on here, that I have on FB, blew out two tires at once...Lirit maybe? Now that was crazy!!!!
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 06:30 PM
DefyingGravity wrote:

You had posted it in Debates, not General.

Oops! My bad! My apologies. :) I took my ultram, I could've sworn it said "general". Plus, i'm beyond tired. Is there any way it can be moved to general so more people see it? I know this isn't a very heavily trafficked board and I want as many people to see it as possible. I do understand it's a car post, but it's also a safety post as well, just want to get the word out to as many people as possible. I rarely come on this board.
By rosalinde
On Thu Aug 26, 2010 01:53 AM
On my old car I noticed a bump in the side of the tire (I must have grazed a curb or something which shaved some rubber away) so I stopped and called roadside services. The guy who turned up said I could've driven it the small distance I had left, but put my spare tire on anyway. I told him I didn't fancy getting a blown tire and ending up upside down in a ditch. He laughed and said I wouldn't flip over if I just wouldn't hit the brakes when it happened.
Sure ... guess what I would instinctively do when a tire was to blow? Exactly, slam on the brakes! And then remember and let go, but the damage would already have been done, wouldn't it?

I'm quite obsessed with the tires on my car seeing that I've never had anything more serious than a flat tire.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 13, 2010 09:41 PM
This story has freaked me out.

My Tyres have needed replacing for months. I'm going to make the appointment to get them changed this weekend.
By xBallet_babex
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 05:31 AM
While you are at it, make sure your spare tire is fully inflated! Most people let their spares go and never check on them or refill them and they will lose some air. It would be awful to have a flat or ruined tire AND a flat spare tire!

ReplySendWatch