Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Need info on Young Male Pointe Performance on August 13 in Ridgewood, NJ at Fair Oak Center Theater.
By fg_1977
On Tue Aug 24, 2010 03:03 PM

Somebody, informed me recently that there was a
public dance performance at the Fair Oak
Community Theater Center on August 13, 2010
done by the Kozlov Dance Studio...

From what was informed to me there was a
young male dancer (or male dancers)
that performed ballet on pointe..

Has anyone seen this or know a video
was taken of this?

Any information would be appreciated...

5 Replies to Need info on Young Male Pointe Performance on August 13 in Ridgewood, NJ at Fair Oak Center Theater.

re: Need info on Young Male Pointe Performance on August 13 in Ridgewood, NJ at Fair Oak Center Thea
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:48 PM
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2010-08-26 23:53:08
Why not call the studio and ask?

In any case, what is your interest in this matter? There may be other ways to help, without having to dig up the video.
re: Need info on Young Male Pointe Performance on August 13 in Ridgewood, NJ at Fair Oak Center Thea
By fg_1977
On Fri Sep 10, 2010 02:09 AM
greenpumpkin wrote:

Why not call the studio and ask?

In any case, what is your interest in this matter? There may be other ways to help, without having to dig up the video.

Greenpumkin,

I sent an e-mail to the studio...It bounced back. It was
after a week I realized I put in a wrong letter in the
email address.
To make a long story short, after the first two attempts
I made prinouts and sent in a post letter to the studio
and inquired about this....Of course, I realized a week
later about my error of the mis-typed e-mail. So I
re-sent in properly, also told the studio in my earlier
e-mail error & showed what I did exactly...

I have not heard from the studio as of yet.

AS for my interest as you asked, there seems to
be some sort of movement of male & young boy dancers
wanting to take up pointe ballet dancing.

There has been some postings about this subject
here on the dance.net website....

I have an interest in new, different, and unusual types
of ballet dance.

I am a bit confused of your statement of
"other ways to help, without digging up the video".
I am not sure what you mean by this exactly.
On Sun Sep 12, 2010 01:06 AM
Thanks for doing the followup.

Another Jersey guy en pointe, this time at a school demo... Look at the fifth picture that scrolls by on this page:

www.gardenstateballet.org
On Sun Sep 12, 2010 07:48 AM
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2010-09-12 07:49:34
fg_1977... you're right, my comment was rather strange.

Your posts make me think that maybe you want to try pointe shoes, but feel a need for social support of it from others. This is not uncommon; I spent about 15 years wanting to try pointe, but not getting up the courage to do so.

Eventually I did, and it was good decision for me. For me, a desire to dance en pointe was also related to a transgender ballerina identity. And so I made a gender shift in the studio as well, getting a new wardrobe too.

Not very common, but it works for me, it's what I needed to do for my own sense of self respect and to keep dancing. I'm usually one of the most experienced dancers in any class I go to, and I generally get respect from those around me as well.

I don't advocate for or against what I did, nor do I attribute any great social role to it. I do not see myself as expanding the boundaries of ballet, or moving it forward or anything. Nor do I expect many guys to do what I did. I just did what I had to do because it was right for me.

We're all very good at making up little rules about what is masculine or not, as a way to re-assure ourselves that whatever we're doing doesn't compromise our sense of (masculine) gender identity. By color: "I study en pointe but I dyed my shoes black." Or so common in ballet is a masculinity defined by what you DON'T do: "I study en pointe but I don't do bourrees." I always found masculinity-by-omission a rather limiting form of self-identity. And let's get real: to most of the world, just walking into a ballet studio compromises your masculinity.

Anyway, if you want to study en pointe, or wear pink tights, or whatever, go right ahead! You only live once, and other will always have opinions of what you should or should not do with your life. But remember that pointe work is difficult and time-consuming, starting with the need to sew the shoes. As long as you work hard and show commitment, you will gain respect.
By tellaboy
On Thu Oct 14, 2010 07:33 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-05-12 11:03:32 You must use capitalization and punctuation. One long, run-on sentence is hard to read and understand.
I did not know guys ever danced on Pointe. I though thats was for women only.

ReplySendWatch