Forum: Adults / 40 Something

40 Something
Too late to take ballet?
By male39 Comments: 20, member since Thu Dec 04, 2008
On Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:04 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2010-08-26 12:50:52 You cannot list off-site e-mails

Hi my name is Mike and I am 41. I have always wanted to take ballet since I was a child. But never did because I was afraid to tell my parents not knowing what they would have thought. I love the ballet and watch it either live or on TV when I get a chance. Each time I watch, I always wonder what if. I know that I am too old for professional but I would love to take ballet for fun and exercise and of course to say that I did it. Who knows maybe I might get to have a small part in a performace which is what I would love to do - to dance in just one performace just to experience it. But being I am so old, I probably would not learn enough to dance in a performance. Also I am kinda of chuncky, just in the stomach are and I am working on that. Would this keep me from taking ballet? Any suggestion or comments are welcomed. Also would love to have a male penpal.

17 Replies to Too late to take ballet?

re: Too late to take ballet?
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:28 PM
I restarted ballet at forty-three and have been in many performances and am now a teacher. What are you waiting for? Go for it! Ballet is a blast.

:)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Thu Aug 26, 2010 01:01 PM
Too late to take ballet?

N E V E R!

Keep On Dancing*
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Thu Aug 26, 2010 01:10 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2010-08-26 14:05:28
If you have the opportunity, then go for it! The only thing stopping me from restarting ballet is the lack of classes for adults in my area. I have to make do with barre exercises. I would leap (literally) if an adult class was in my area.

Enjoy, enjoy and let us know how it goes.

kk~
re: Too late to take ballet? (karma: 1)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Thu Aug 26, 2010 02:01 PM
What do you have to lose? 10 bucks and a couple of hours? Find an adult class, and just GO. Adult dance classes are usually very relaxed and welcoming.
By luv2plie Comments: 1904, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:35 PM
You are NEVER too old to start ballet. O am in my forties and still dancing!

Kev
By hannahgil Comments: 29, member since Fri Aug 13, 2010
On Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:04 AM
Good for you for deciding to take up ballet.It is NEVER too late to take up any style of dance.Like you I am taking up ballet after a long period of very little organized physical activity and I have even given up smoking to be a better dancer.The most important thing you need for ballet is a PASSION and LOVE of dance and it sounds like you definitely have that.It sounds like you have no illusions of being a professional but many adult classes still have recitals(which are always great fun).So start dancing and most importantly have lots of FUN!!!!!
By pondflyPremium member Comments: 1099, member since Thu Dec 24, 2009
On Sat Aug 28, 2010 08:36 PM
You're fine. Our adult classes range from a couple in high school, but the majority of u are in our mid 30's up to the mid 60's. We're not as good as the kids, but we're there for different reasons.
Go to a couple lessons and you can make your decision from that. There will be some days of frustration along the way.
By WillSouthMcr Comments: 93, member since Sun Dec 18, 2005
On Thu Sep 16, 2010 01:47 AM
Dancing is the most subtle, sophisticated and most sensuous way of communicating.Everyone and anyone can do it and should try it.Great to hear you have discovered a new part of yourself - build on it, develop it and have fun.If you live in the UK there are lots of studios for male late starters (including me!) that will make you welcome - effort, energy and enthusiasm is all that is needed.And a sense of humour to laugh at yourself every now and then - you will not make Covent Garden this year but maybe next, aim high, aspire and you will be able to do anything! Good luck.
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 192, member since Mon May 17, 2004
On Wed Sep 29, 2010 09:37 AM
No not too late! I started a 52 I'm 58 now. don't worry about being a little overweight you will work it off. Good luck!
By tellaboy Comments: 66, member since Wed Sep 29, 2010
On Thu Oct 07, 2010 07:44 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-05-12 11:11:19 You must use capitalization and punctuation.
Hello how are you to day? You went back and started Ballet as an adult?
But you took as you grew up? I am in my 40's and I want To try a Ballet Class.
I don't know why I just do.
Too Bad the prople on the this site like you don't Teach Ballet in Orlando.
On Thu Oct 07, 2010 07:49 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-05-12 11:10:09 You must use capitalization and punctuation.
Hello kandykane.
How long Did you take class? When did you stop at what age?
I am 44, I like ballet, I want to try class as well as Mike who's is 41.
I never never taken class.
Kandykane if you took when younger, can you just go back to that school?
I am in Fl and I found about 5 or 6 schools with an adult class.
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 192, member since Mon May 17, 2004
On Thu Oct 07, 2010 07:51 AM
I just checked the Orlando Ballet website they have an adult division and an into to ballet class on Thursdays. so all you need to do is get there.
On Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:21 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-05-12 10:57:25 You must use capitalization and punctuation.
Hi Mark, 41 good for you. What was your drive and when did the Ballet bug get you?
Then we hold off till we are in our 40's.
By gregb1 Comments: 92, member since Tue Jan 06, 2009
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:43 AM
Mike, you are in good company brother. I took some lessons as a 12 year old but did not get back to ballet until I was 45. I feel like such an idiot for allowing my now ex-wife to keep me from taking ballet lessons. That was all my fault for allowing that to occur. Now I dance at 2 studios every chance I get. My girlfriend just loves it that I dance ballet. Holy smokes have I gotten back in shape! I am the only guy in my classes but you know, I've found that it really does not matter in the least. The ladies welcomed me and now I am seen as just another student who loves the art. Ballet challenges me both physically and mentally as nothing else does. It is such a natural high to learn the steps/moves and be able to flow. Like any activity though, you've got to put in the time to see the results.
By Dancingainteasy Comments: 4, member since Fri Jul 02, 2010
On Thu Dec 02, 2010 09:40 AM
Mike its never to late. My uncle who is 44 just started taking lessons and he absolutely loves it. In my opinion you should go for it buddy!
By WillSouthMcr Comments: 93, member since Sun Dec 18, 2005
On Thu Dec 09, 2010 01:36 AM
Q : Did you make it to a class ? All of us started where you are and the hardest part is joining in, the second hardest is coming back - but you will be amazed how much encouragement you will get - if you believe in yourself and you are willing to do a bit of self discovery.Good luck.
By idojazz Comments: 5, member since Tue Jan 04, 2011
On Tue Jan 04, 2011 01:42 PM
Hi Mike: I started ballet at your age, and took it for many years, then switched to jazz, as it's more my style. I don't think ballet is a problem at any healthy age. Just stick to beginner level for as long as you want and need to. Now, I do improv jazz in rock clubs. Even though I'm way older than most of the clubbers, I get lots of compliments. There's always opportunities to perform. Retirement centers welcome entertainers of all kinds, for instance. Let me know what happens with your dancing. Have fun. Diane

ReplySendWatch