Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Videos

Jazz - Videos
I need help with improv!
By Dancing_cutie05member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 250, member since Sun Feb 18, 2007
On Sat Aug 28, 2010 08:35 PM

I don't do a lot of improv, and I'm not really good at it, but I want to get better, so I'm going to start practicing improv more often. I posted a video of me improvising. Sorry for the bad technique in the video. I kind of have a hard time coming up with moves on the spot, specially without a bigg mirror. Does anyone have any tips as far as improvising?Is it something that gets better with practice like everything else?

www.youtube.com . . .

2 Replies to I need help with improv!

re: I need help with improv!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Aug 28, 2010 09:21 PM
Don't think; just dance. Do what the music tells you too.

Since this is in the jazz section I'll let you get away with the tricks.

I could only watch the first 48 seconds of the video (the rest wouldn't load). It looked pretty good. You did the same thing a bit to often.

If I start to blank I focus on a specific body part. Like my hand (small movements, let the part lead you around).

Pick a word and dance that way. For example "lethargic." Change if you are low, medium or high. That sort of thing.
re: I need help with improv!
By Dancing_cutie05member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 250, member since Sun Feb 18, 2007
On Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:09 PM
Thanks...Yea, I noticed I repeated a lot of movements because that's what came out,lol. But yea, the focusing on one body part is a good idea:)

ReplySendWatch