Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

oversplits?
By dancing_tiger
On Thu Sep 02, 2010 09:58 AM

This is a discussion has sort of took place on another on of my other threads but I feel it would be better suited here. I was just wondering what your thoughts on the oversplits were. Are they good or bad? Can you do them to better your split or do you need to wait until you are all the way down?

Thanks in advance for your input!

9 Replies to oversplits?

re: oversplits?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:43 PM
Obviously, it doesn't help unless you're already in a full split. That's not an opinion - just basic laws of physics.

Are they good or bad? I don't understand the question.
By SinatraAngel
On Sun Sep 05, 2010 05:49 PM
I think they're probably awful for you unless you can sit comfortably in your splits and are extremely careful. I mean, you'll just pull something if you go too far too fast. Ow. But if you're careful, I think they're good for bettering your kicks and leaps and for generally freaking out your friends and family.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sun Sep 05, 2010 06:00 PM
You have to be all the way down, or else you're just doing a not-yet-split on a height wedge: which does absolutely nothing more than stretching on the ground would.

As for good/bad: it depends on the person...they aren't inherently good or bad--many bodies can do it easily and not be damaged, and some bodies may manage to get them, but they have a detrimental effect on the body. (Especially when they are achieved too quickly for the muscles to truly be ready.)
By dancing_tiger
On Thu Sep 09, 2010 07:39 PM
Thanks for the comments guys!

If you use your arms to hold you where you are comfortable does that still make them bad for you?
By hummingbird
On Thu Sep 09, 2010 07:47 PM
That depends, if the arms are for balance, go for it. If they're being used because you need to support your weight because you're not in a true split then don't go into an over split, it will injure you.
By cara_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:41 PM
I think if you use your arms to balance you they are good. You are focussed on getting flat so in your oversplit you are going further down so when you go into a normal splits it is a bit easier to get flatter. You just have to make sure your properly warmed up first before you try them :)
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:40 AM
Yeah, there's really no point in doing them unless you already have a full split. But they have helped me a lot with leaps, kicks, and leg extensions.
By DancinAngel19
On Mon Oct 04, 2010 07:37 AM
You must have your full split before you can start working on an over split. Are they bad for you? No. BUT you must be careful just like with anything in dance. Once you have your split, put pillows under your ankles to stretch a little farther. Once that is comfortable add another pillow, etc. Oversplits look lovely in jumps, I think. Hope that helps.
By emydivah
On Wed Oct 13, 2010 09:10 PM
I couldn't get my splits so I had a teacher that got me to do oversplits that my normal splits would be all the way down..BAD IDEA I injured my knee REALLY bad so wait until you are all the way down to do them. Then I don't see the problem.

ReplySendWatch