Poll: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

Foot Undeez for Jazz
By enpointe809
On Mon Sep 06, 2010 09:05 AM

I've seen people wearing these in jazz class, and in some dances. What are the advantages/disadvantages? I have always thought that they were for modern and lyrical.

Thanks,
enpointe809

4 Replies to Foot Undeez for Jazz

re: Foot Undeez for Jazz
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:18 AM
They are usually worn for lyrical, but sometimes, a choreographer or teacher will desire a "barefoot" look for a particular jazz piece, and FootUndeez will be worn. Modern, however, is usually done barefoot.

None of the girls at my studio wear them for jazz, as we are required to wear a certain model of jazz shoe, but many (including me) wear them for lyrical. Many girls on my high school dance team also wear them to practice somedays because we have an incredibly slippery wood floor.
By dance27
On Wed Sep 15, 2010 02:52 AM
I don't like the Capezio ones (foot undeez) because they slide around, but I have a set of dance paws which are quite similar and I love them. I am a part of a company and a jazz ensemble that performs a lot of contemporary and lyrical, and we dance barefoot on a wide variety of floors. I wear mine when I need to be doing a lot of turning or sliding on marley floors, and they allow me to turn more easily without wearing a shoe or sock, but I don't run the risk of slipping as I might if I wore a regular jazz shoe. I do most of my jazz classes and practices barefoot to keep the callouses that allow me to turn, but sometimes on a warmer day or when I need to do more than two turns, I want a little help. They're also convenient for performance, as they are subtle and save your feet dancing on harsh floors without sacrificing the barefoot look or feel.
By tempsleve
On Thu Sep 16, 2010 05:37 PM
I voted for 'I don't like them' because I believe you should stick to jazz shoes for jazz, and foot undeez for lyrical/modern. However, some choreographers choose to use them. They're good because they give the dancer protection, while the dancer still looks 'barefoot'. Also, they're easy to carry & transport. I can't really think of any proper disadvantages..
By SinatraAngel
On Sun Sep 19, 2010 08:49 PM
I've never danced for more than an hour in footundeez, but what I've found is that they don't really help with turning because of the position of the pad. Your releve (at least for me) had to be extremely low for it to work. I've never worn any other kind of half-shoe (is that what you'd call them?) but I hear dance pawz are great. What IS good about footundeez is that you REALLY can't see them on stage. Sometimes you can see dance pawz more easily because of the coloring. I think they should really only be used for lyrical or a jazz dance that really needs a barefoot look. Modern should always be barefoot, in my opinion.

ReplySendWatch