Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Canvas V Leather Ballet Shoes?
By Soccer4eva
On Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:11 AM

Canvas OR Leather ballet slippers? Split sole or Full?

WHY?

Starting ballet and I was just wondering what you guys think is best?

Thanks

20 Replies to Canvas V Leather Ballet Shoes?

re: Canvas V Leather Ballet Shoes?
By pondflyPremium member
On Mon Sep 06, 2010 05:29 PM
You're going to get mixed responses. I use canvas split sole as it tends to show the arch of the foot better, and you get a little better feel of the floor than leather.

Now that I've said that, someone will say that leather does exactly the same. One thing is that the canvas does not stretch out like leather, but still minimally.
By yostretch
On Tue Sep 07, 2010 08:18 AM
i agree withthe other guy
the choice is yrous but if u get leather u have to buy them a little smalland tight so whent ehy stretch out they are not huge

canvas is easier but not for everyone...good luck
By kaiba101
On Tue Sep 07, 2010 09:30 PM
I'd just go with whatever makes you most comfortable yostrech. It's not about what clothes you wear that make you a dancer, it's how you dance!!
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Sep 10, 2010 09:46 AM
I was told when I first started ballet, leather for wood floors canvas for Marley. It really depends on what you like. I like canvas best because they actually last longer than leather for me.Full soles are slightly more difficult to get a good arch. I recently got a pair of Karl Martins and really like them.
By yostretch
On Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:54 PM
hey guy where did you find the Karl martins at????
By Jerisonharper
On Fri Sep 10, 2010 06:45 PM
I haven't tried a great deal of ballet slippers but I find Sansha's Pro 1C split sole canvas works really well for me.

I personally think that leather slippers will wear and tear sooner and are more costly to replace. As to how much more comfortable they are really depends on individual. Leather is softer but stretches with time.

And as to split sole or full sole, I choose split sole for maximum agility.
By pondflyPremium member
On Fri Sep 10, 2010 09:59 PM
I've got a few pairs now-
Bloch, which I will never buy again as they fell apart in 30 days.

Sancha Pro- Still going strong after 9 months, but most likely be retired in December
Personally, the best I've used.

Leo's Arabesque- Not bad, shows a good arch but very light weight and won't last too long. But at $10 and they are 20 minutes from my house I don't mind.

Grishko Performance- Just got them last week and starting to break them in at home before using them in class next week.

I'm in class from 3-4 days a week for a couple hours each day and a little work on the off days, when I feel up to it. So I keep a couple pairs in my bag as I've had one go south while in class, let alone in a performance.
By guyclone
On Sun Sep 12, 2010 02:48 PM
Hey, these guys are right, you'll definately get different views. I am one who prefers leather. I think they look much better, they have the more classic ballet dancer look to them.
I think if you are just starting, you definately ought to start with leather full soles. They will hold up and you need to work your feet hard to point, so its better to learn in.
Once you are comfortable holding your own point, and you want to feel the floor a little more, then you can move over to canvas.
On Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:35 PM
Dance express/ or the NY dance store run about $12 same size as Sansha. Require a $40 min. order. Your local store should be able to order them if they carry Sansha.
On Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:36 PM
Dance express/ or the NY dance store run about $12 same size as Sansha. Require a $40 min. order. Your local store should be able to order them if they carry Sansha.
On Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:41 PM
By DaveTriesBallet
On Mon Sep 20, 2010 09:27 PM
I was told in my first Ballet class that because NJ is so humid in the Fall, canvas would be better as the leather was more prone to slight sticking to the floor. Don't know how true that is but may be a consideration!
By lego
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:49 PM
I prefer to wear leather ballet shoes with a full sole,, it's comfortable for me, and I think it's look more cool, hehe..
By tellaboy
On Wed Sep 29, 2010 08:17 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-05-12 11:16:49 You must use capitalization and punctuation.
Just getting in dance. I would think canvas would not last.
On Wed Sep 29, 2010 09:28 AM
It depends on the floor surface and the dancer. Leather doesn't last for me. I wear them out much faster than canvas.
By luv2plie
On Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:01 AM
Leather last longer then canvas

Kev
By james2
On Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:05 AM
for a begginer i say in class leather full sole they will strengthen your foot more because the shoe gives more resistance
By tellaboy
On Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:12 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-05-12 11:00:44 You must use capitalization and punctuation.
So the Leather will stretch out but Canvas will stat the same?
By PerfectFeet
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 03:27 PM
Get both and decide for yourself. I like having both kinds on hand, but I tend to use the leather ones more because I need all the grip I can get on our worn wood floors. However, they (leather shoes) will smell bad sooner because leather doesn't breathe like canvas, so I've recently started turning my shoes inside out when I get home and spraying the inside liners with some rubbing alcohol in an old windex bottle.

I've always used split sole, and have only tried one brand in the 3 years I've been dancing - which is So Danca. I like how there is a separate piece of material for the arch, which is sort of stretchy and hugs your arch. I probably SHOULD try some other brands, but on the other hand, I suppose I've never really had a good enough reason to order another shoe that might not fit, (as there aren't many dancewear stores in the area that stock men's ballet shoes in size 11) and I'm pretty happy with the way these fit.

We can give you our advice, but with something this important, the only way you're going to get the best answer is to actually try them out.
By guyclone
On Sun Oct 24, 2010 09:11 AM
yea good point. Ballet shoes are very inexpensive. So why not buy a pair of leather and canvas shoes, and see which you prefer. I myself own a couple pairs of canvas shoes, and I use them occasionally. However I also own lots of pairs of leather shoes, as that is what I prefer and I usually use those. I always have a couple good pair in my dance bag.... along with a few filthy trashed pair and probably a couple strays, haha.

ReplySendWatch