Forum: Folk / Belly Dance

Belly Dance
Celebrating my first few performances :)
By luvdance17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 111, member since Sun Apr 19, 2009
On Tue Sep 07, 2010 01:06 PM

Hello everybody-
so a while ago, I posted about my parents not allowing me to perform belly dance. Like with a lot of conflicts, the successful way was to explain my side, do my research on both points of view, and then just leave it up to them to decide. Well, I left it up to them for.... a long time. Months and months, and while it wasn't always fun, I did get to concentrate on the other forms of dance that I do.

The best part? My mom has a friend who is in the same meditation community who is also the head of a belly dance troupe. Her friend heard that I dance and invited me to do a performance with her. My parents were fine with it, because they both know the teacher and respect her a lot. My parents' problem wasn't a misconception or trivializing of belly dance as an art form, more that they were being very protective of me as always.

Anyways, I have done three or so performances so far, and it has been wonderful!! Belly dance is pure joy in a way like no other form of dance. If/when I get pics or a video, I'll try to put them up.
I guess this isn't a question or anything, just that I'm really happy about this and wanted to share it with all the DDN-ers who gave me such good advice :)

PS- was anyone else shocked the first time they had to put on belly dance stage makeup? I was!!! At least in the company I dance with, there is a LOT of eyeliner and shadow and eyelashes!

7 Replies to Celebrating my first few performances :)

re: Celebrating my first few performances :)
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Sat Sep 11, 2010 07:45 PM
Congrats! I'm glad your parents finally came around and let you perform, under the guidance of your mom's friend. :) And doubly glad you enjoy performing so much.

What style does your new troupe do?

I totally hear you about the stage-makeup. It's always funny having to get fuel on the way to/from a performance when you're made up like a drag queen and half in costume. The looks people give you..!! :D
By wendymarquette Comments: 2, member since Wed May 13, 2009
On Sun Sep 12, 2010 02:51 PM
Congrats! I remember my second bellydancer performance. My teacher told us our make-up should like as if we were the whore of Babylon.
By Jamilah Comments: 3, member since Tue Oct 19, 2010
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:08 PM
Congrats!
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:09 PM
Congrats! Belly dance is life!
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:10 PM
Congrats! I love belly dance to and I will be proffessional soon!
By chancey1 Comments: 9, member since Sun Nov 07, 2010
On Tue Nov 30, 2010 08:10 PM
CONGRATS!! I just went to my first belly dance performance last night in Toronto....It was Belly dance and Bollywood Superstars. It was fantastic! Great dancers and amazing music.
By azdark86member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 51, member since Sat Jan 31, 2009
On Sun Dec 05, 2010 08:17 AM
Well done Lovedance17, glad you had a good experience at your first bellydance performance :) You're right, Bellydance is like no other form of dance. It is at the very essence of rhythm, you do become a sort of a conduit for the passionate beats. And from personal experience I've found the more I've done it, the more I've wanted to continue with the dance and improve myself.

Can also relate to what you said about the stage make-up! I found it akward at first, as our troupe is a tribal one, so we wear a lot of accessories and make-up when we perform. But now I'm used to it, and think I wouldn't look right without heavy eyeliner and mascara :)

ReplySendWatch