Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

New UK driving test.
By Boogledoomember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Sep 08, 2010 07:53 AM

As of October 4th 2010 the UK driving test will be changing. This is an attempt to cut down on the amount of new drivers having serious or fatal accidents within the first 6 months of passing their tests.

www.1stdrive.com . . .

this is all taken from the link above.

Changes to the test will include:

Independent driving- for about 10 minutes of the test you will be asked to drive alone without any instructor help. They will give you a set of direction and/or a destination and you will have to drive yourself there. (They have mentioned that people with dyslexia/dyspraxia will still be able to have some sort of help).

Manoeuvre test: You will only be asked to do one manoeuvre instead of two.

Driver attitude test: (still under examination) questions will be asked on how you'd react to certain situations (crashing into someone's car etc.).

There are plenty of other things on the website that look as though they are going to change as well.

How do you all feel about this? I think it's a good idea, although now I'm terrified about taking my test!

8 Replies to New UK driving test.

re: New UK driving test.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 08, 2010 09:28 AM
I don't mind this at all. My instructor knew it was coming in so after a few weeks of lessons, she started getting me to practice following signs. So she stopped saying "take the third exit at the roundabout", and instead saying "follow the signs to Solihull".

They actually can't fail you if you don't follow their instructions correctly, or if you go the wrong way. Going the wrong way isn't inherently dangerous (unless you go the wrong way down a one-way street or dual carriageway of course). If you just take the wrong turn they can't fail you. You can only be failed for dangerous driving.

Still, that doesn't mean to say I'm still not papping myself, and mine's over a month away yet.
By DancinDiva2005member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 08, 2010 09:36 AM
What's your current driver's exam like?

When I took my driver's exam (the driving part--not the written part), they would just have you drive and would occasionally throw in "Turn right at the next light" or "Take the next left" and basically just guide you around while you followed their directions, and they'd just watch to see what you did (Using your signals, checking before you merge, etc).
So, there was the driving portion where you'd drive around the area for a bit, then head back to the testing area and you'd have to parallel park.

You could only get to the driving portion after you passed the written portion though.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:01 AM
First you do the theory test, which is 50 multiple choice questions (need to get 43 correct to pass) followed by the hazard perception test, in which they play you 14 clips of about a minute each, and you have to click your mouse whenever you seen potential and developing hazards. Can't remember the pass mark on that one.

For the practical driving test they first test your eyesight by asking you to read a number plate 20.5 metres away. You get a couple of chances nd if you can't do it, the test stops there.

Before you get into the car you have the "show me tell me" section, which consists of two questions such as "show me how you would check the oil levels" or "tell me how you would check the brake lights are working".

Then you get in and drive off according to their instructions, and are usually out for about 40 minutes. They will ask you to do two out of three manouevres - parallel park, reverse round a corner, or turn in the road (three-point turn). 1 out of 5 candidates will have to do an emergency stop.

And now of course you have to follow the directions as well.
By Katemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:47 AM
I really don't think it will affect the levels of accidents. People don't have accidents because they can't follow signs, or because when they have no instructions they panic and drive faster. People have accidents because of

1.Bad luck. Noone is immune to the other idiots around them.

2. Inexperience in judging gaps, spaces, timings. Generally I guess this results in more banged cars, rather than seriously bad accidents.

3. Over taking. I live in the country, and sooo many of the accidents around here are young people/new drivers overtaking on a bad bend, or without enough time. I don't think the new test will affect this - maybe there should be a test on overtaking? Or maybe new drivers shouldn't be allowed to overtake for the first 6 months or something? Let's face it, you never NEED to overtake. Sure, being stuck behind a tractor for 15 minutes is annoying, but you don't NEED to overtake it.

4. Speeding. The new test won't help this either. I really really REALLY think that we should impose better, more scary threats to those who speed. If all new drivers had their licence withdrawn for 6 months and then had to retake the test again if they went more than, say, 5mph over the limit, I bet less people would be tempted. Kids speeding is a huuuge problem where I live, as they often have lived here their whole life, so THINK they know the (horrible) roads, but haven't been a driver long enough to properly know the problems.

So I guess my opinion is that the new test won't do any harm, but won't really reduce accidents. I would be in favour of the general test having a motorway part, rather than leaving that to the pass plus test.

I think, personally, new drivers should have the fear of God put into them, and if they speed/drive dangerously/show off, they should instantly lose their licence, no questions, no appeals. At the end of the day, loads of young new drivers (note, not all!) get carried away and show off to their friends, speeding or whatever, and this is the biggest problem.

I am prepared to accept however, that I am exceptionally harsh and jaded, but I have also dealt with a great deal of loss due to car accidents and careless and speeding drivers.
On Thu Sep 09, 2010 05:27 AM
^ I think the reason they are saying it is to reduce accidents with learner drivers is because the new test focuses more on driving in built up areas, whereas the old test focused on manoeuvres and had to be carried out around small housing estates, by ruling out one of the manoeuvres the test can be taken in towns or cities, where meeting traffic situations are going to be more likely. I also think that the independent driving section will help prevent accidents because learner drivers do not tend to get the full multitasking experience while learning/taking the test, by making learners have to focus on directing themselves around an area on their own it makes them more aware of what "real" driving they'd have to do.
Having said this, I'm not at all looking forward to having to navigate myself *and* keep the car under control, what more do they want of me?!
By Shhaan_Dmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:51 PM
The fact that there is only one manouvere really makes me happy!!

WOOO!
xxx
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 06:36 AM
^ Same, knowing my luck it would be the reverse around a corner though, that's my least favourite one.
By Shhaan_Dmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Sep 15, 2010 02:00 PM
I know Im the same...I hate reverse round the corner. I hope I get turn in the road and no emergency stops!!!

xx

ReplySendWatch