Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Age difference an issue?
By kaiba101
On Wed Sep 08, 2010 06:05 PM

Hey I was wondering is age difference an issue in classes? I went to my ballet school for the first time, and they told me to come back on Monday when they will be having the beginner classes. They said that the girls are generally 9-13. I am 18 years old. Should I search out for a different school? Am I too old to work with these girls?

8 Replies to Age difference an issue?

re: Age difference an issue?
By pondflyPremium member
On Wed Sep 08, 2010 09:44 PM
Not at all, the beginner classes I took (and now taking for rehab from surgery) span from freshman in HS all the way up to he 40's. You'll do just fine, and enjoy the class.
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Sep 10, 2010 09:41 AM
The instructor is just trying to put you at a level at which you will have some success. If you are just starting out and are in an advanced class you will only get frustrated. Good luck with class.
By Jerisonharper
On Fri Sep 10, 2010 06:37 PM
It is very normal for guys to be slightly older than girls in class as we do not usually always start as young.

I personally enjoy classes with young girls because they motivate me to work harder. Once you are in the lesson, you will forget about the age factor (in any case, you are not old).

In most adult classes, the dancers range from 15 to ~ (I can't even put a cap because it can be any age really) so yeah, just enjoy the class and learn as much as you can.

Do share your experiences in your new class! =)

Comment #9287270 deleted
Removed by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-05-12 10:59:23 You have a two hour window to edit your comment if you wish to add more information.

By tellaboy
On Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:16 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-05-12 10:58:10 You must use capitalization and punctuation.
Wow that's a big range, from High to 40.
The class I was looking at was 30's and 40's
By pondflyPremium member
On Sat Oct 16, 2010 01:23 PM
Some of the females in our classes are in the 60's, so we have a great range from 15 on up.
By balletlad20
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 09:29 AM
I don't think age is too much of an issue. As you are at the same level. You may find you progress quickly and then i guess should be moved up. When I started out at 18 my first classes were with 12 to 14 yr olds but then moved to classes with girls from 16 upwards.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:04 AM
What you describe is pretty standard. Just remember to act like an adult, even they're acting like kids.

ReplySendWatch