Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

Is there ever a time in jazz when you turn on a bent supporting knee with the heel low?
By ardenrose2
On Wed Sep 08, 2010 08:28 PM

Is there ever a time in jazz when you turn on a bent supporting knee with the heel low? My daughters new dance teachers is having them do this in addition to a pirouette on a straight supporting leg with the heel high.

8 Replies to Is there ever a time in jazz when you turn on a bent supporting knee with the heel low?

re: Is there ever a time in jazz when you turn on a bent supporting knee with the heel low?
By footundeez
On Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:28 PM
There are tons of ways to turn, some might not be tech. corret but...
If you are talking about what I am thinking, it could be a low forced arch turn.
re: Is there ever a time in jazz when you turn on a bent supporting knee with the heel low?
By Spotlightbabe
On Thu Sep 09, 2010 01:28 AM
Yes! I have one teacher for jazz who has us do most of our turns like this. She calls it a low jazz turn whereas a turn on a straight supporting let would be a high jazz turn xx
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Thu Sep 09, 2010 04:27 AM
Yes, it is a possible and acceptable way to teach a variation of the traditional and contemporary ways of pirouettes. (Traditional is bent leg, heel high (aka in releve): Contemporary is straight leg, heel high.)

While dance has 'techniques' which loosely dictate what is 'right' and 'wrong', because it is an open-ended continuum of movement, there are stylistic and choreographic choices that are used all the time, even if they don't specifically match the pre-determined technique. It's how all dance forms grow, expand, and develop over the years.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Sep 09, 2010 01:07 PM
In traditional jazz, no. But in contemporary jazz, yes.
By JamesRobeyDance
On Fri Sep 10, 2010 09:25 PM
AlwaysOnStage's response above is spot on. The jazz pirouette done in plié with a low heel is a traditional turn that dates back to Jack Cole. Later, as more ballet technique found its way into jazz dance, it became more common to use a straight knee and high relevé. However, in contemporary jazz you are only limited by the creativity of the choreographer and the versatility of the dancer.

Personally, I don't teach the traditional jazz pirouette with the bent knee and low relevé. I find the straight leg and high relevé more useful in technical training but in choreography I will use all variations.
By ardenrose2
On Fri Sep 10, 2010 09:32 PM
wow thank you so much! this is very interesting
By DancinAngel19
On Mon Oct 04, 2010 07:51 AM
There are a million ways to turn. Once you have learned and can properly do a traditional pirouette, you can turn anyway you like really. I have definitely turned with a bent supporting leg and my heel low many times.
By tempsleve
On Sun Oct 10, 2010 07:12 PM
I agree with the above posters.

There are a number of ways to turn. There are classic positions ( leg in high retire, supporting leg straight, heel high) and then there are variations (leg in low retire, supporting leg bent, heel low).

Once you understand how to do a normal pirouette, its so much fun to learn other variations! enjoy =)

ReplySendWatch