Popular Highland

Workshops and dance camps in the US and Canada by WeeDancersMama
What workshops and camps do you attend and like? Also, why do you like it?

Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe - General
After a 3 year break, what should I do to prep myself for pointe again? en>fr fr>en
By Ellen_Eliz Comments: 1085, member since Sun May 01, 2005
On Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:14 PM

Ok, so I really, REALLY want to get back into ballet and I'm excited about it! I especially can't wait to put my pointes on again. However, I haven't danced in them for 3 years. I have a pair that's barely even broken in yet so it's ready to go when I am.

I'm not really sure what to ask... I feel like my calves and ankles are still very strong. Even though I wasn't dancing I was working out a LOT and my legs still look as muscle-y as they were when I was dancing. I know my feet aren't as strong though. I know basic things to do to regain it but how long do you think it will take?

I'm not impatient, even if I sound that way. I want to do it right. Tips?

Thanks in advance!

7 Replies to After a 3 year break, what should I do to prep myself for pointe again?

re: After a 3 year break, what should I do to prep myself for pointe again? en>fr fr>en
By hummingbird Comments: 8397, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:23 PM
You haven't been dancing at all in 3 years or this is just a 3 year break in your pointe work?
re: After a 3 year break, what should I do to prep myself for pointe again? en>fr fr>en
On Sun Sep 12, 2010 09:43 AM
I haven't danced in 3 years. I took a break because of school and played tennis for high school. I had danced for a really long time though before I quit.

I'm starting to stretch a lot. I'm going to do releves all the time, and use therabands as I flex and pointe my feet among other things. I still have all of my pre-pointe excercises somewhere so I'm going to pull them out and also do pilates. Sound good? But how much will it take to get enough strength back?
By allegro731member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2913, member since Wed Jul 02, 2003
On Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:35 PM
First off, get into some technique class. Even though you were on pointe before, it is still going to take some time on flat before you are ready to go on pointe again.

As for the shoes that you already have, I would recommend getting fitted again for new shoes. You feet change a lot when you are not dancing, so it is likely that those shoes will not be a correct fit for you anymore.
By elmo13 Comments: 15, member since Fri Apr 24, 2009
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:36 PM
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, Pointeplease. I was out of dance for 3 years and I'm just getting back into it this season. I started taking technique classes again and work out at home using a theraband, pilates, etc. Its made a huge difference, but I still have a long way to go. Allegro731 is so right about the shoe fitting thing, unfortunately I'm learning that the hard way. I just went back en point using a pair of shoes from 3 years ago that were fairly new and it caused me to loose 2 toenails and bruise one in the last few weeks plus blisters too : / Another thing I do that I think has helped a lot is whenever I'm sitting I try to work my feet (ie: point and flex, circle ankles, etc) you might want to give that a try too. Keep up posted on how it goes for you, good luck!
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 18113, member since Sun Aug 13, 2000
On Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:36 AM
How old you are and how much dance you had before will make a difference in how you should approach getting back into pointe.

Regardless, the first step is to go back to ballet class! Start retraining your body for ballet. Even if you have been exercising in the meantime - which is great - it's not ballet.
On Wed Sep 15, 2010 01:31 PM
Thanks everyone! The shoe-fitting thing is disappointing to me but it makes sense. I need to write out a workout for myself that includes stretching and especially the feet-theraband exercises.

I went to the dance floor in my college's fitness center a couple of days ago and just did some very basic barre and floor. I was alone so I would've felt better with another person giving me pointers, but it just felt SO GOOD to do even a little bit of ballet again.

I'm going to keep stretching and doing the things you've suggested and hopefully soon I'll be back into it!
By BellaDeMonia Comments: 22, member since Fri Jul 09, 2010
On Sun Sep 19, 2010 04:45 PM
I took a two year break from pointe (and barely danced at all). I found I lost little to no strength at all, just a bit of stamina. If you've danced for years I doubt you're going to have to start from scratch.

ReplySendWatch