Popular Teachers

Tap Warm Up CD? by sydchris
I am looking for a specific CD of tap warm ups! When I was younger, maybe around 11yrs old I took...

Forum: Ask a Teacher

Ask a Teacher
Adult Beginner Tap Class en>fr fr>en
By tiny_dancer1member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1682, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Mon Sep 13, 2010 09:58 AM

Hey everyone!

So this year I am going into full time teaching and I'm really excited to get going. I have a lot of my classes planned out but I have one that I need help with.

Adult Beginner Tap. Like no experience, they are doing it to have fun for the most part.

I've never taught an adult class before...I don't want to seem ignorant or teach them like they're children because they're not. But on the other hand I am a very experienced tapper and I don't want them to not take me seriously because I'm young.

So my questions are:

What tap steps should I start teaching? (I'm assuming basics, ball/heel/toe taps, the difference between brush, shuffle and flap etc?)

What kind of music should I use? (Feel free to leave a great big list for this, because I am seriously at a loss for what I should have for at least the first class, then I can ask them what they like.)

What 'character' should I have? (Like how should my persona be? I feel I shouldn't just be 'myself' because I want to be professional, but not...not personable...lol)

And really any other tips you have for me would be great, this is the class I am most nervous for!

Thanks, tiny

ps. I hope to come on this board more often now that I'm teaching lots, and I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you and to start growing as a teacher!

:)

2 Replies to Adult Beginner Tap Class

re: Adult Beginner Tap Class en>fr fr>en
By vfdtPremium member Comments: 2737, member since Tue Oct 26, 2004
On Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:54 AM
Our teen/adult Tap Class is always small because the teens graduate, and leave for college, and the adults don't stick with it very long, 1-2 years at best.

This year we have sublet to a "Tap N Burn" certified teacher who is loaded with personality, and driving energetic modern music. We're trying to recruit more of the "waiting room" moms into it too, and we're succeeding. This class doesn't require any knowledge of tap, but if you have tapped before, it will still be challenging enough for you. She adds some stretching and cool-down, so it works well for adults who are trying to lose weight too. She teaches several repetitious short tap combos, and then they repeat, picking up the tempo. It is a lot of fun, and they won't be learning a long routine, so adults can start/stop at any time.

There is a $20 DVD on their website tapNburn.com, which also lists some certified instructors. I had bought the DVD in the past, but this is the first year we're offering this program.
re: Adult Beginner Tap Class en>fr fr>en
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 33905, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:23 PM
The answer to this first question is so brutally obvious, that I'm kind of amazed it hasn't smacked you upside the head...

What tap steps should I start teaching? (I'm assuming basics, ball/heel/toe taps, the difference between brush, shuffle and flap etc?)

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. If you are teaching beginner tap, start at the beginning. You may get a few people in your class that have had tap before, but weren't brave enough to sign up for a higher level, and you might get people that haven't danced in 20 years, and you might get people that have never attempted to dance before ever. So start at the beginning.

What kind of music should I use? (Feel free to leave a great big list for this, because I am seriously at a loss for what I should have for at least the first class, then I can ask them what they like.)

Me personally, I enjoy the music the instructor select, because I like that dance exposes me to new music. Adults as a general rule though, like music they KNOW. I'm in the Intermediate/Advanced adult class at our studio, and our song this year is something by Bruce Springsteen. And when I was running my clogging group, they really enjoyed Elvis, and Grand Funk Railroad (they're from my area), and Seger (same), so that's really fun for them, because it's music they all knew.

What 'character' should I have? (Like how should my persona be? I feel I shouldn't just be 'myself' because I want to be professional, but not...not personable...lol)

Just run the class. You're not there to be a drill sergant, because that's not what they're after. Keep on everybody to stay focused, but just run it. It'll happen.

ReplySendWatch