Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Question about front license plates
By colormeGreenPremium member
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:05 AM

So I have Texas plates, and in Texas you are required by law to have front plates. However, I have no desire to drill holes into my baby in order to have a front license plate, and in 5 years I have yet to get a ticket for that *knocks on wood*. I also live in Oklahoma most of the year because I go to school there. In Oklahoma, cars don't have front plates at all.

My question is, can I get a ticket in Oklahoma for not having a front Texas plate? Do cops here have that kind of authority?

19 Replies to Question about front license plates

re: Question about front license plates
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 08:46 AM
If you aren't breaking an Oklahoma law, I'd imagine they don't have much time to care about you. So I think you're fine.
By kandykanePremium member
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 09:00 AM
They probably won't stop you for this, but if you get stopped for something else, they may give you a ticket or maybe just a warning.

kk~
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 09:20 AM
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2010-09-14 09:21:10
Are you joking? Yeah, I want to break the law because it’s not aesthetically pleasing. You know, wearing a helmet makes me look like a dork – I’m not going to wear one when I ride a bike or motorcycle. You know what, I really don’t want to put an inspection sticker on my car, it looks so tacky. I haven’t gotten pulled over, so who cares? You know what, license plates on the whole are soooo lame. I won’t put any on my car at all!

Yeah, right, okay. How do you pass inspection without one, anyway?

In any case: How do install a front license plate without drilling holes.
Zip ties
Tow hook bracket (you can DIY this too)
Super strength tape
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 09:30 AM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2010-09-14 09:32:42

That's a good question. If your car is registered in Texas, you have to have both plates to get the annual inspection. So, you're only going to get away with it til your next inspection is due.

Thinking about it now, you said you 'don't want to drill holes in the bumper.' All cars in purchased in Texas have the holes already drilled. So, did you buy it in OK or another state?

You have the plate. Take the car into a shop and let them install it. they can put a plate holder on that looks better than a plain plate. You won't have to drill the holes or see it happen, it will just all be done in a matter of minutes and it will look professional. May cost you all of $10. Much cheaper than that ticket will be if you get caught. And then you won't have to worry.

EDIT: And five years? Really?? Why are you even bothering to worry about it now. :?

kk~
By Sumayah
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 09:33 AM
Or do what I've seen a million other people do and put your front plates in your windshield. Don't know it's legal but meh.
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 09:47 AM
^ No, you can still get in trouble for that. In fact, that's more noticeable than not putting the plate on the front bumper, because it is obvious you KNOW you are displaying it improperly.

kk~
By Sumayah
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:42 AM
Did not know that. I usually see it on older model cars that don't have the place for it in the front, just assumed it was what it was. Nevermind then.
By Soleil2213member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:04 AM
Ohio requires front plates. I have a lot of friends that are really into cars and the vast majority run their front plates just in the window. Not really legal, but they don't seem to get hassled for it. There are ways to affix the plate to your car without drilling holes. I just wish the US would decide if all cars need front plates, or if all cars only need rear plate. It's annoying to not need one in Kentucky, but 5 minutes over the river I need one. Dumb.
By pondflyPremium member
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 02:31 PM
Sorry to threadjack, but is there anything special they are looking for the inspection? I'm going down to Travis county next month to do a little scouting (and a little range action :) ) .
I am seriously considering the move down there as soon as my work comp case settles.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 02:45 PM
Yeah, your vehicle won't pass inspection without the proper license plates. Now, as far as ticketing goes, I don't think Oklahoma police can ticket you for not having a front plate, because my registration was about a year expired and the Louisiana police couldn't ticket me because I have a NY registration. So if it works the same way registration expiration tickets do, you'll be okay. But what's the big deal about front plates? Most states have them and quite frankly, I don't notice them sticking out or ruining the appearance of the vehicle.
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 03:05 PM
Couldn't you just register your car in Oklahoma since you live there most of the time anyways?
By contemp_is_rad
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 03:20 PM
In Australia I've seen a few really nice vintage cars with magnetic number plates, so maybe you could call the council and find out about that?
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 04:09 PM
pondfly wrote:

Sorry to threadjack, but is there anything special they are looking for the inspection? I'm going down to Travis county next month to do a little scouting (and a little range action :) ) .
I am seriously considering the move down there as soon as my work comp case settles.

It's a basic safety inspection. All exterior lights, brakes, tire tread, insurance, registration, horn, mirrors, seat belt function, etc. They check the VIN number and make sure it matches the registration sticker. Costs $15. They also do an emissions check in the cities (including Travis County). I think that costs extra, but I'm not sure how much. My county doesn't require that.

Here's a little info...

www.txdps.state.tx.us . . .

kk~
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 04:26 PM
Well, I live in Oklahoma but I've never been pulled over...

Just put the front plate on or register your car here (we don't even have inspections like y'all).
By colormeGreenPremium member
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 04:50 PM
Goodness, people. It's not like I'm asking whether or not it's alright to drop a small child in the front seat and cruise at 120mph down a back road while drinking a beer. It's just a license plate.

Heart wrote:

Are you joking? Yeah, I want to break the law because it’s not aesthetically pleasing. You know, wearing a helmet makes me look like a dork – I’m not going to wear one when I ride a bike or motorcycle. You know what, I really don’t want to put an inspection sticker on my car, it looks so tacky. I haven’t gotten pulled over, so who cares? You know what, license plates on the whole are soooo lame. I won’t put any on my car at all!

Wow, you must be so amazing because you have apparently never done anything illegal in your life ever. I'm honestly not sure why, but I've never failed an inspection.

kandykane wrote:

Thinking about it now, you said you 'don't want to drill holes in the bumper.' All cars in purchased in Texas have the holes already drilled. So, did you buy it in OK or another state?
EDIT: And five years? Really?? Why are you even bothering to worry about it now.

I did buy my car in Texas so I don't know why it didn't have holes already drilled. I'm really not worried about it. It's mostly just something I've been wondering about.

And about registering my car in Oklahoma. It's very likely that I'll end up back in Texas permanently after I graduate due to my career choice.
By Sumayah
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 05:08 PM
pondfly wrote:

When are you coming down here? For how long? Where are you staying? I can drop you some points of interest if you like, while you're in the neighborhood. ;)
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 05:21 PM
Huh, and here I thought that front and rear plates were standard. I know that in Australia you have to have front and rear plates displayed at all times, and if you're towing a trailer, you have to have your car's registration plate displayed on that too.

You learn something new every day, huh.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
re: Question about front license plates (karma: 1)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 05:24 PM
Odessa wrote:

Huh, and here I thought that front and rear plates were standard. I know that in Australia you have to have front and rear plates displayed at all times, and if you're towing a trailer, you have to have your car's registration plate displayed on that too.

You learn something new every day, huh.

Erin.
::righteous babe::

I do have a front plate on my Okie car...only it says "Monster Attack Responce Vehicle."
By pondflyPremium member
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 07:53 PM
In IL you are required to have both plates, but it is not widely enforced. If you have a special vehicle where a front mount plate is not available you can get a waiver.

I got a waver on my mothers Mini as it was going to interfere with the intake for the supercharger.

Sumyah- I'm not positive on dates yet, as I need to see my physical therapy and class schedule, but I would figure about the middle of the month. I'll make a post when that date firms up.
I have to make most of the classes as the studio owner just dropped a bomb on the other male in class are featured in the character portion of the spring recital, and it's a big one.

ReplySendWatch