Popular Irish

Long VS Progressive VS Long Progressive?? by rince_girl
Can anyone clear up what the actual difference between a Long dance, a Progressive dance, and a Long...

Forum: Irish / Irish - Hardshoe

Irish - Hardshoe
scared of slippery floors en>fr fr>en
By irishgirl26member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 423, member since Sun Sep 07, 2008
On Wed Sep 15, 2010 01:29 PM

So. Kind of a long backstory here, but whatever. My studio has 2 rooms: one has a "dance floor" (we're not sure what it is or what to call it, but there's a huge mat on the floor that's at least 5 inches thick) and the other is a wooden floor with a little mat over it. The second room is slippier (is that a word? :P) than the first, but it's too bad--no one falls, no one usually slips. It's about the normal feis floor in terms on slipperyness. I always feel really uncomfortable on this floor in hardshoes, and I'm not sure why. I tape my shoes and I've never fallen, so it's not that. I'm just starting to get worried, as most feises are like that and with now 3 steps in treble jig (just got into Prelim) I need to be able to work the floor and really dance without feeling like I'm going to fall. I'm going to Oireachtas this year for solos and I need to be ready. I need to get my clicks high and batters turned out and crossed without feeling like I'm going to slip. It's very frusterating, and I just want to know if anyone has any advice or comments.
Thanks!

17 Replies to scared of slippery floors

re: scared of slippery floors en>fr fr>en
By irishreel Comments: 321, member since Mon Jul 12, 2010
On Wed Sep 15, 2010 01:49 PM
Did you change your hard shoes? Maybe you now have another brand of shoes that make you feel more unstable?
Just an idea, hope it helps but maybe you have alredy thoght about that...
Unless you find the cause of your problem, if you feel that the floor is in common conditions and the shoes are well taped, I think you shoud ignore the problem and try not to think about your fear, otherwise scareness will increase as much as you concentrate on it.
- irishreel -
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3113, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Wed Sep 15, 2010 05:09 PM
Have you fallen before? While it stinks to fall, i've gone down 3 times at competitions or shows and have never really hurt myself. You get up, and keep on keeping on.
If your weight is balanced, you won't fall. If your're leaning back, then you'll increase your chances of slipping.
As you work on your steps and your form, have someone watch to be sure you aren't leaning, and you'll be fine.

The other problem is likely that you're too accustomed to dancing on the really non-skid floor, so anything else feels dangerous. You might actually try to find some REALLY slick flooring, tape up your shoes and dance on that for a while. It'll make your second space fell positivly safe.
By AussieLauramember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1129, member since Sun Mar 07, 2010
On Wed Sep 15, 2010 06:17 PM
I agree with the above posters.
I think you need to just go out there and dance, forgetting about falling. If you fall, you fall. If you don't, you don't. It's a little like when you first do toe stands; don't over-think it or you probably will fall.
By roz275member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 187, member since Thu Oct 14, 2010
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 02:43 PM
Tape should work.. seeing as you've never fallen it probably is! Also you can put something sticky on the bottom of your shoes, soda or something.
By CelticPiksymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 128, member since Sat Aug 21, 2010
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 03:05 PM
Hair spray is meant to work, we got through cans and cans of it for our show
By cara_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 335, member since Mon Jun 21, 2010
On Sat Dec 18, 2010 01:37 PM
I agree that hairspray usually works
By chickenpotpie Comments: 207, member since Wed Nov 07, 2007
On Sat Dec 18, 2010 03:46 PM
My dd competed for 8 years and while she never fell in competition, and maybe only once or twice in class in all those years, she was always fearful of falling. Gaffers tape helped ease her fear a bit but I think it was mostly just an unfounded fear she had to learn to deal with.
By Neilsmum Comments: 95, member since Thu Oct 14, 2010
On Sun Dec 19, 2010 01:59 AM
Edited by Neilsmum (227014) on 2010-12-19 02:02:08
I think it has a lot to do with confidence. You can tell just by seeing how someone walks in their hard shoes if they are scared of falling. And, as some previous posters suggested, somehow the confident dancers barely ever fall. Our teacher always says "A good dancer can dance on anywhere". It's easy to tell someone to just be confident, but how do you overcome that fear? I suppose the only way is to tell yourself that you won't fall, and to realise how seldom dancers actually fall. Those Open dancers leap and twirl all over the place and seldom fall. If many do fall at an event, the organisers will do something about it, like spraying a Coke solution on the floor.
When my son was little it made him feel confident when his shoes were taped, but now that he's older he doesn't want tape as it muffles the sound of his stamps and clicks.
By Jude09 Comments: 27, member since Sun Dec 19, 2010
On Sun Dec 19, 2010 04:00 AM
It has been proven that if you connect with the floor you can't slip. Hope this helps!
By mcardles Comments: 254, member since Thu Dec 02, 2010
On Wed Jan 12, 2011 03:40 PM
I have the same problem! The only difference with me is that when i feel like i am going to slip, I usually end up on my butt. try adding a little water to the bottom of your softshoees for reel and slip jig, and in hardshoe, make sure you are finding your center point of gravity, and focus more on nailing the steps than on not slipping. Usually when I do this, I forget about the slippery floors and just dance my best. Hope this helps!
By ReelJiggered Comments: 515, member since Wed Sep 03, 2008
On Wed Jan 12, 2011 08:46 PM
Hmm... Interesting points made by all. But, I do in fact slip A LOT. I'm kind of known for it at my school. At our Christmas Party I nearly fell on my face three times in one hornpipe (but I still kept on going!) It's becoming a problem. I tape my shoes, but it often wears off in the places I need it most after a step or two. I'll look into the leaning thing. It's true I'm not the most confident dancer, but it's because I do actually slip often (especially when I do toe-heels across the floor- the easier version of drums). Ideas?

K
By AussieLauramember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1129, member since Sun Mar 07, 2010
On Wed Jan 12, 2011 09:08 PM
Perhaps you could try the sandpaper tape for the soles of your shoes? I was known for slipping in my slip jig this year, mostly because there were heaps of spins and things and my shoes actually were slippery and my problem was solved when I put sandpaper tape on them.

Clean all of the muck off the bottoms of your shoes and put fresh tape on and just don't think about how slippery the floor is!
By will_i_am Comments: 68, member since Wed Oct 06, 2010
On Thu Jan 13, 2011 07:50 AM
If your shoes are new dance outside in them to rough up the fiberglass on the tips.

I find hairspray makes it worse for me, I think it puts a shiny film on the shoes once it drys.

In my lights I put a little coke on the floor and dip my toes in it and heavies I use gaffa tape (the stuff with the thread through it)

I agree, its a confidence thing. Try and wear your shoes as much as possible so you become as comfortable in them as you would be in dance sneakers.

Good luck
By Valkyrjamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 294, member since Tue Jan 26, 2010
On Thu Jan 13, 2011 08:49 PM
Fall off a horse a few times, and then you won't be so scared of falling off your feet ;)

Actually in all seriousness, try dancing on other floors or with different stuff on your shoes. Obviously avoid concrete and other materials that could result in shin splints and other problems, but still - the problem is clearly that you're super used to dancing on a reeeally non-slick floor, and thus everything else feels weird. So try other combinations! Tape your shoes with different kinds of tape (electrical, gaffer, duct), hairspray etc. Experiment.

At the very least, you'll quickly figure out which combinations you don't like, and which will really work for you as your "best bet" to not fall, no matter what you're dancing on!
By chaplyn143 Comments: 13, member since Wed Nov 10, 2010
On Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:53 AM
When I'm dancing I usually put silver ducked tape under the front thing, and on the tip for going on toe/point. When you put the tape on,I usually also scrape the tape to give it some traction, so I don't slip. Sorry for not being so specific on the front thing... I just don't know what it is called!
By chickenpotpie Comments: 207, member since Wed Nov 07, 2007
On Sun Jan 16, 2011 02:03 PM
Perhaps you need to work on your balance? Ask your TC if she thinks this may be a weakness with you. There are many good balance exercises, the simplest is standing on one leg in various positions.
By Hummers78 Comments: 31, member since Wed May 12, 2010
On Sun Jan 16, 2011 03:05 PM
My TC says if you are slippin in your hard shoes, then you aren't high enough on your toes. One of my first classes back, i was tapin away in my hornpipe but kept slipping, i was fuffin at the floor when she said 'don't blame the floor it's you!'.SO she had me start again, and concentrate on staying higher and it was better. Also, try and stay over on your bi toe rather than the whole bal of your foot.
I find it harder to get hih on my toes in new hard shoes as the tips are so big, i fel like i'm tipping back!

Anyway, hope this helps. xx

ReplySendWatch