Popular Teachers

class structure for young tap classes by cateyed
Hey everyone, first time teaching on my own here, and I'm due to be teaching beginning tap to...

Forum: Disco / Disco Competitions

Disco Competitions
ISTD national finals, Guildford. en>fr fr>en
By sophistikat Comments: 2093, member since Thu Apr 15, 2004
On Sun Sep 19, 2010 02:45 PM

Who's going to Guildford this year and what sections are you dancing in?
I'm doing 025 line, solo and pairs.
I think its going to be a long day with all the extra qualifiers in some sections.

20 Replies to ISTD national finals, Guildford.

re: ISTD national finals, Guildford. en>fr fr>en
By Rachelsmum Comments: 45, member since Sun May 23, 2010
On Mon Sep 20, 2010 04:33 AM
HI,
We are making the long trip to Guildford for the first time this year. My kids can't wait!:)
Rachel is dancing in U10 bronze line dance, U10 solo and U10 pairs
Steven is dancing in U8 pre bronze solo and U10 pairs.
We have been told it will be a very long day so taking their PJs!!

Sarah xx
By els_magi_mumimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1688, member since Wed Sep 23, 2009
On Mon Sep 20, 2010 08:13 AM
hi

we will be going to this comp
My girlies will be dancing
Maigan
u14 pre bronze line dance
u14 pairs and solo

Elise
u6 solo and u8 pairs

If my broken legs mends in time I will also be dancing over25 pairs and solo.

Does anyone know the running order for Guilford ?

thanks
Sinead
By Rachelsmum Comments: 45, member since Sun May 23, 2010
On Mon Sep 20, 2010 09:32 AM
We haven't been told a running order yet, sorry

Hope you are better soon xx
By pepper3787 Comments: 158, member since Wed Jun 25, 2003
On Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:34 AM
Hi,

When is this competition, and how do i enter ?

Stacy
By sarah_jayne Comments: 1842, member since Sat Nov 06, 2004
On Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:51 AM
Sinead the running order is always set dance first , rock n roll , then pairs and solo is always last :)

First time since i was u8 that were not going this year !
I did qualify but we've changed schools and no longer do ISTD

Sarah xx
By Emma24 Comments: 92, member since Thu Jan 22, 2009
On Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:07 AM
We are going to Guildford, can't wait! been going for the last four years!!

Emma will be dancing in;

u12 line dance pre bronze
u12 rock and roll with Caitlan
u12 solo
u12 pairs with Caitlan

a very long day, staying @ travelodge saturday and sunday nite!! See you there!! xx
By DanceManiacLauzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2475, member since Sun Jan 28, 2007
On Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:38 AM
think this is round about my 7/8 year of doing guildford.. ive lost count haha

so exited :)

i dance u 16 goldstar and awards set dance

under 16 goldstar and awards rnr

o16 awards solos

o16 goldstar and awards pairs

:)
By Tiggy_StephsMum Comments: 56, member since Sat Sep 11, 2010
On Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:56 PM
We are going this year, our second time.

Tiggy will be dancing:
bronze U14 line dance,
bronze U14 RnR,
U14 Pairs and Solo
Stephie
U8 solo
U8 pairs with lovely Elise

I will be dancing in O25 line dance and solo, should my partner Sinead be fit after breaking her foot, we will be dancing in pairs

Can't wait should be really good, love watching the line dances.
By shelly6 Comments: 230, member since Fri Jul 11, 2008
On Mon Sep 20, 2010 02:01 PM
Hi, we are going this year
Amy over 14 Bronze set dance
over 16 Bronze solo
Lucy under 12 solo
under 14 pairs
Michelle Amy Lucy xx
By DancewearDesignPremium member Comments: 5614, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Tue Sep 21, 2010 01:33 PM
A lot of our school are not going this year as there was only one qualifying regional comp in the North of the country. Unlike the Southern comps, where the whole final qualified ,only the 1st three places qualified in our region.
We have got people who qualified who are not able to go but these are not being replaced by the "next" ones down in the final as in previous years so even if a dancer got 4th place and 1st place drops out they are not being called to dance.
We have also found out that there are only 2 tickets per qualified entrant so in families where there are 2 children and only one child has qualified the other child can't go to dance pairs or solos!!! It also means only one parent can go watch their child :(
Parents have booked time off work, hotels are booked etc etc and what are they supposed to do now?
It seems that the extra qualifiers from the Southern comps have prevented many people attending from the North. Some of those that are not going this year have been going for over 10 years and this will be the first time they don't go which is a real shame :(

Cathryn x
By els_magi_mumimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1688, member since Wed Sep 23, 2009
On Tue Sep 21, 2010 01:54 PM
This is absolutely outrageous,
I have one daughter who has qualified and one who didnt as she was 4 at the time on the comp and to be fair didnt stand a chance dancing in u8 line dance. However she was going to dance solo and pairs at this comp.
If you can only take 1 child its not an option for me to leave my other daughter at home as her dad works weekends and I have no other child care. If I cant bring both my girls to dance I am being forced not to come to this comp at all. I have booked time off work, booked and paid for hotels, This is ludicrous. Im sure im not the only one this affects. Can we complain ?
By DancewearDesignPremium member Comments: 5614, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Wed Sep 22, 2010 01:50 AM
els_magi_mum wrote:

Can we complain?

If you talk to your teachers they will approach the appropriate people to try and rectify the situation.
Keep fingers crossed it gets sorted
Cathryn x
By xLaurenBx Comments: 26, member since Wed Apr 22, 2009
On Fri Sep 24, 2010 03:33 PM
Anyone going to the ISTD nationwide comp at Blackpool in Nov?? :)
By shelly6 Comments: 230, member since Fri Jul 11, 2008
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 01:35 AM
I also think this is outragous.
My oldest daugter qualified but my youngest who made it into the final but not in the top three can not go and watch her sister
and compete in solo and pairs. My husband works away which makes it difficult for me to leave my daughter at home.
I also think its outragous that the northern representative for ISTD did not even bring his own dance school to the one and only competition, what does that say to the rest of the competitors.
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:39 PM
Hi everyone.
I didn't realise that they weren't calling people up this year to replace those who drop out, thats not fair.
Its not true that everyone in the finals qualified though, that depended on how many in the 1st rounds. So yes, in the bigger sections there were 7 qualifiers, but there had to an awful lot in the 1st round to do that. Its a bit like ADFP where the number of people losing lives depends on how many in the 1st rounds. I do think that if its a straight final maybe just the 1st or maybe 2nd places should count. Ist should always qualify, even if they are on their own, but if there are only 3 or 4 in a section then I think it should be just the 1st place to qualify.
I wonder if they had more people qualify thwn they expected, but surely they must know which sections have 70 in them at the start and which normally have 5 or so. I agree that its unfair to only have 2 tickets per dancer, but then there are some like me who are going on our own, so my 'other' ticket is no needed.
See you all there.
Sharon
By Tiggy_StephsMum Comments: 56, member since Sat Sep 11, 2010
On Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:48 AM
We went to an ISTD competition in Cambridge back in June. We watched the line dances and in the rounds with few competitors they all qualified. Where's the justice!
By Tiggy_steph_x Comments: 28, member since Sun Sep 12, 2010
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:51 AM
This is outrageous ! How can this be fair on the people with 3 in a family and only 2 can go ? Should one child have to stay at home ? Well what if its the oldest child that has qualified ? What happens to the youngest child ? This is not fair !!
By Bobbie_C Comments: 75, member since Tue Jun 26, 2007
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 08:43 PM
This is interesting because we've always only ever had one spectator ticket per competitor so I have never allowed two parents to watch or siblings to go unless someone else didn't want their spectator ticket. I have never asked for more than one spectator ticket per competitor and in fact when two children from a family qualify I still only permit one spectator ticket from that family to keep my ticket requirements down. I didn't realise people had more than one spectator ticket per dancer! All our parents have got used to it now, they know I can't magic tickets out of nowhere and don't ask me to - they appreciate we can all only do our best with this and therefore accept it.

As for the extra qualifiers I'm not sure how I feel about it really. I quite like the idea of staggering it but I think the starting numbers should be even greater for the extra qualifiers and also if there are less than 6 in the competition to begin with that only first place should qualify.

Are there no qualifier comps in the Midlands that those from the North could travel to as well? It seems a shame! x
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 02:08 PM
2 more sleeps!
By Bobbie_C Comments: 75, member since Tue Jun 26, 2007
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 05:03 PM
See you there! x

ReplySendWatch