Forum: Folk / Belly Dance

Belly Dance
Shimmying back onto Dance.net
By shira Comments: 1051, member since Wed Jul 03, 2002
On Tue Sep 21, 2010 06:46 PM

Hi all! Whew, I can't believe it's been almost 2 years since I was last on Dance.net! Wow, where has the time gone? Since it looks like there are a lot of new-to-me people here, maybe I should reintroduce myself.

My name is Shira, and I'm the owner of the world's most popular belly dance web site at shira.net . I've been belly dancing for many years, but I'm afraid to tell you how many because it would make me sound really o-l-d.

I've been to Egypt 9 times, and Turkey 3 times. I felt it was important to explore this dance firsthand in the countries it comes from. I'd love to go to Lebanon someday, too. Next June, I'll be taking a tour group to Egypt, and of course it'll have a special focus on things dancers want to see!

I'm based in Iowa, and that's where I teach my weekly classes. This fall, I'll be going to belly dance events in Las Vegas, Seattle (well, Kent, actually), and Wisconsin Dells. Maybe I'll see some of you at these events?

Keep on shimmying!

15 Replies to Shimmying back onto Dance.net

re: Shimmying back onto Dance.net
By pondflyPremium member Comments: 1099, member since Thu Dec 24, 2009
On Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:36 PM
Dancing EMT will definitely want to talk with you. She is always showing me some of your videos and getting ideas for herself.
I'll make sure that she knows about you visiting.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:40 PM
Hi Shira! Anmar here! :D I was wondering if the shira.net person and shira on DDN were the same person! That's so awesome! I'm always using your website. Welcome back! :D
By shira Comments: 1051, member since Wed Jul 03, 2002
On Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:03 PM
Hi Dancing_EMT! Nice to e-meet you! Yes, we are one and the same! I used to be active on dance.net in the past, but then the belly dance board slowed down to a crawl and lots of stuff in my life took me away from spending much time online. I still don't have much time to spend online, but I'll try to stop by now and then to keep up with the activity on the board!
By caasi Comments: 336, member since Fri Aug 20, 2004
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:34 AM
welcome back - altho it doesn't feel like you've been missing.. ;)

Caasious
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Tue Nov 02, 2010 06:44 PM
Nice to see you again, Shira! (I was CinammonGirl before.)
By azdark86member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 51, member since Sat Jan 31, 2009
On Sun Dec 05, 2010 08:45 AM
Hi Shira,

Nice to meet you, I'm Az a male bellydancer from the United Kingdom. I'm still relatively new to it though (only starting in Jan 2010), so any advice or what not would be appreciated.

I'll check out your website as well.

Kind regards,

Az
By NOVA_ Comments: 46, member since Fri Dec 10, 2010
On Fri Dec 10, 2010 04:22 PM
Welcome back and hello! I also am comming back to dance.net after quite a while myself. I would like to thank you for you helpful and informative website. It's helped me alot. I hope to chat with you more in the future.
On Fri Dec 10, 2010 04:27 PM
I was going to reply to your Ghawazee post but it wouldn't let me. I would soooo like to take from Khairiyya Maazin. I'm so jealous of you. You are sooo lucky. I would love to travel the way you do. I LOVE fok dances!
On Wed Dec 15, 2010 04:14 PM
Do you go to egypt every year for the festivals?
On Fri Dec 17, 2010 03:29 PM
Which is your favorite festival? How many are there in egypt? Which one do you like better? I know someone who says they like The Nile Group better.
By MeiMei_Amaya Comments: 50, member since Sat Oct 27, 2007
On Sun Jan 16, 2011 07:30 AM
hello :D your website is really huge!
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 03:38 PM
I know MeiMei_Amaya. It's a great informative site. I agree. Thank you sooo much Sira for having it. I know it has helped inform me alot. I owe you big time shira.
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 03:40 PM
P.S. I like your avatar MeiMei_Amaya. Oops! and sorry for the type-o on your name Shira. I am a horrible typer.
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 04:17 PM
Shira do you know where I could possibly go to learn Khaleegy? I live near or around San Bernadeno. I would like to lear this folk dance but not that many people teach it and a workshop is not long enough for me to get a real feel for this dance.

I have had taken Raqs Sharki and Raqs Beledi for a while and am pretty good at Saidi.

Could you please suggest a Teacher in the area or a dance studio. I thank you in advance for any advice, help, suggestion and or information you supply me.
By divinitybelly Comments: 1, member since Tue Feb 15, 2011
On Tue Feb 15, 2011 06:46 PM
Do you mean Kent, WA? what event will you be attending there? Is that at Saqra's studio?

ReplySendWatch