Forum: General / Tap / Clogging

Clogging
Noob question, shoes, the same for tap, step, clog? And how to get em?
By BISON Comments: 14, member since Tue Feb 16, 2010
On Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:35 AM

Hey,
So I want to give a shot at the step / clog dance....
So will I need official specific shoes or just good solid shoes in general?

And can I get clog shoes without taps? Is that functional?

Will "tap" shoes be good for clogging?

So I might just be able to order some tapdance shoes off ebay and be set to go? Is this right?

Thanks for any advice on this choosing of shoes. I just want to be off to a good start with the right shoes.

5 Replies to Noob question, shoes, the same for tap, step, clog? And how to get em?

re: Noob question, shoes, the same for tap, step, clog? And how to get em?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:20 PM
You can buy clogging shoes without taps, but you need the taps, because otherwise you don't make any sounds.

You can also clog in tap shoes, although I'm not particularly a fan. If you're going to clog, you may as well get the right equipment.

If it's an issue of not knowing whether you're going to stay with this, and not wanting to invest a ton of money into shoes you won't wear more than a few times, I recommend getting a set of taps, and gluing them in sturdy shoes. :) I used to have a student that had bad knees and she couldn't take the regular clogging shoes, so she glued taps on a pair of keds.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Fri Sep 24, 2010 01:30 PM
yup, what Theresa said.

Tap plates for tapping and clogging ones make different sounds. Clogging ones are more than one piece and make extra sounds.
By BISON Comments: 14, member since Tue Feb 16, 2010
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:37 PM
It's not about money.
I want to some sort of old time clog / cape breton stepdance type of a thing. And Play the fiddle while I do it(hopefully).
So it's as much a visual thing as a percussion.
I'd be okay with single piece taps, rather than the double clickers.

Does anyone know where I could order such shoes?
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:49 PM
www.clogon.com

But I recommend what Theresa said, Buy just the taps - Steven's Stomper's. They are about $20. And take a pair of white tennis shoes you already own to the shoe repair shop with the taps and have them installed.

Or - check the site I linked or ebay for used shoes.

kk~
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 02:41 PM
BISON wrote:

It's not about money.
I want to some sort of old time clog / cape breton stepdance type of a thing. And Play the fiddle while I do it(hopefully).
So it's as much a visual thing as a percussion.
I'd be okay with single piece taps, rather than the double clickers.

Does anyone know where I could order such shoes?

If you want the old time look, get the right shoes and the right equipment. Nobody clogged in tap shoes.

ReplySendWatch