Poll: Advice / Cars & Driving

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Do you play rabbit on the highway?
By Sumayah
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 09:05 PM
Locked by Sumayah (204191) on 2010-10-20 14:28:33 Old poll :D

Run rabbit.

I find I play rabbit anytime I'm stuck on the highway for a long time. I typically am a letter of the law kind of girl, but something clicks over when I'm driving on the highway for 30 minutes or more. Does that happen to you?

25 Replies to Do you play rabbit on the highway?

re: Do you play rabbit on the highway?
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 09:26 PM
Maybe this is a regional thing?

We played, when my kids were small a number of car games.

License plates...try for all 50 states. Hawai'i is really hard, it almost has to be a military family.

Slug a Bug...person who sights a VW bug first can slug the other player.

Paddiddle. That's a night game for spotting cars with one headlamp out. A variation is to alternate. At the sighting of a car with only one working headlight, you count the number of cars you can see (you must see both headlamps) before you get another car with a burned out headlamp. Then the next player starts his count. The one with the greatest number of cars between paddiddles wins.

Now tell us about Rabbit since 2/3rds of us don't know it.

Jon
By angelfish10member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 09:35 PM
What on earth is rabbit??
By Sumayah
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 09:39 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2010-09-25 21:42:30 another, no an other
Hmm... so, it's sort of a speeding game. Which means kids, don't do this, it's bad m'kay! One car is the rabbit and the other car chases. The rabbit has to find the holes in the traffic and get to the front of the pack, the second car is like the dog who chases the rabbit.

For instance, tonight I had a 50 minute drive home from work, the bulk of which is on freeway - no lights, no stops, just drive. It's after 9pm so there isn't just a whole lot traffic around and I see the truck in front of me pull around a slow moving car in the fast lane. I follow suit. They then pull to the right lane because of a slowish car in the middle lane. I follow suit. The truck is the rabbit, finding the holes through and around traffic that seems to be ambling down the highway, I'm the dog chasing it down. Now when I say speeding, my speeding typically ranges between 5 and 10 mph over the speed limit, depending on surrounding traffic and highway speed. The speed limit was 65mph so we were going between 70 and not even hitting 75. It becomes a game when the driver realizes you're following through and starts to make their moves deliberate - typically there's also some sort of thumbs up or smile that they're cool with it.

However on long drives, it's polite to trade off rabbit duty. My roommate and I were going to a church function 2 hours away. 2 hours of interstate. So I engage in a game of rabbit with two guys in another car. Every twenty to thirty minutes we traded the lead (aka traded the who's going to get pulled over if this awry). Well eventually it was out turn off and we exit. And they exit. We go to the building and they're like right behind us. Well we park and they get shuttled into the spot next to us. Me and my roommate look at the two guys, they look at us, we all have that "oh crap" look on our faces. Nervous laughter, polite introductions, unsaid promises that if you don't tell on us, we won't on you.

So yeah, it probably goes by a different name elsewhere, but I've always known it as rabbit.

Anyway, Jon you reply brings up a good segway... what other car games did you play on car trips?

I always played the alphabet game using billboards. A-Z using letter on the billboards. X was always the worst. Then there was the rainbow car game. Roy G. Biv of cars - yellow and purple were always the hardest to find.
By kandykanePremium member
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 09:56 PM
I have never heard of this but now that I think about it, I've seen other cars doing it and I get annoyed because it is DANGEROUS.

License plate - yeah, my kids and I played that on our road trips all the time. Our highest score was 48 states and six from Mexico and Canada. We found Hawaii twice. Once on a car and once on a restaurant wall.

kk~
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:06 PM
I always try to get to the front of the pack because slow cars in the fast lane annoy me, but I'd be PISSED if there's someone following me like it's a game.

So no, no rabbit for me.
By Sumayah
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:47 PM
Lol, this seems to be my annoy people night. ;)

Thought I'd make a clarification... validation... I'm not one of those drivers explanation? I don't mean those cars going 80 in heavy traffic less than a car length away from each other weaving in and out of traffic and making people slam on their brakes, though I s'pose by definition they are indeed playing rabbit - those people people make me want to scream. At least when I find myself following, I have a good buffer of space between me and them and I don't just change lanes when they do just to changes lanes. I play safely. If the car *is* weaving in and out of traffic I won't follow. If, like the truck tonight, they're taller than me and can see cars going around a slow moving car coming up, then heck yes I'm going to follow them - as soon as I see why they changed lanes and if there's enough room for me to move over too. If not, then I slow down and hope I don't get sucked into the slow car vortex.

So yeah... There be my, erm, explanation? /shrug
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:54 PM
I guess it is cool, as long as there is concent between the two drivers. Which seems to be the case in Sumayah's case.

If someone ever got on my tail like that , I would purposely hit my breaks. Not coming to a full stop but slow enough to give them a *^&**&^&*^&* message.

Heck, if they rear-end me, they are paying for my car.
I am sometimes almost tempted to slow down when a taligater is behind me. Make him pay for the damaged mwhahah. Although I would never do that, because actual lives are at risk.
By Spookiesquemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:56 PM
Another reason why I should not drive on the freeways. I am terrified of driving in itself and don't leave my city unless someone else drives, never mind the freeways. Thanks for letting me know this exists, too. Yay.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:08 PM
I've never heard of this and I would be pissed as hell if another car was following me.

I don't like to weave but I will in a hurry. It's never a game type thing. I like to find a nice spot and cruise at a good 70 or so. I turn on the radio and sing and Zen and go to my happy place.

Road trip games - I have the fondest memories of Klutz Kid's Travel: Backseat Survival Kit. www.klutz.com . . .

It had a bunch of little decoder games, logic games and riddles and mysteries, and even a Parcheesi board. We would also play Guess Who?, checkers, and handheld card games like Uno. I would always opt for round-robin storytelling, which annoyed the crap out of everyone else.

The license plate game goes too slowly for me. I much prefer I Spy, if anything.
By Sumayah
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:09 PM
Not tailgating. Tailgating is a quick way to end up seriously hurt. This is more an obvious hey that car's going slow, let me speed up and go around him, oh look I think I'll do that too, follow the same path kind of deal. Look he's passing that car too, is there a hole for me to do the same? Drive on. End up in different lanes and you start to pass the rabbit who got stuck behind grampa who can barely see over the steering wheel so they follow you over and become the dog. You pass grampa and the tired mom in the mini van. So does the dog. You settle into a good spot, dog passes you and becomes rabbit. You see rabbit move over to get around the 18 wheeler kicking out rocks, you follow them. That's what I mean. It obvious the two cars are following each other in and around but it's not speed racer. And it's definitely not tailgating.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:15 PM
That's all well and good but how do you achieve the desired consent of the other driver because if tried to do that where I live people would think you were a stalker or something.
By girlwithghilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:22 PM
Oh lord no.
I just got my license and this kind of stuff TERRIFIES me. I have an hour-long commute to dance a couple times a week, most of which is freeway. I just turn on my music, get into the slow lane and try to keep from panicking about the fact that I'm going 65 :P
By Sumayah
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:26 PM
I guess I must be weird, because I thumbs up people while driving all the time. I let some over and they wave thank you, I thumbs up and smile. Most of the time I get a thumbs up in return. If I'm rabbiting someone and I get around a few cars by means of their path I'll thumbs up and smile. Sometimes they see, most often they don't. If they do, then game's on, I follow them and they'll follow me. If they don't see, well I might continue to follow them through if they're bigger than me and can see over the trucks but I don't assume they're a part of the game so once I get around what I need to then it's done.

But yeah, I'm cheery driver except when people are being morons. I let people in and give them double thumbs up if they used their blinker and didn't try to force their way in, I wave thank you when someone lets me in, I sing in my car, I dance in my seat. I like driving, it's fun and it's always interesting. Something to see, something to do, in traffic people watching can be hilarious. That's also why I drive a stick, it's more fun to drive. :D
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:37 PM
I'd be bad at this game. Most of my long commutes are on a turnpike with the speed limit being 75mph (no tolerance). It seems like everyone is going 80-90 most of the time though, and I'm not going to go faster than 80 (and when do go that fast it's an accident). Oh, and it's a four lane highway (two lanes going west, two going east with a concrete median).
By Sumayah
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:56 PM
^ Yikes. No I'm doing this on 6 or 8 (or in some parts 10 lane) lane divided highways. Not heavy traffic - medium to light traffic. Heavy traffic = parking lot and no one is going above 5mph anyway, lol. Medium traffic is normal traffic, constant speeds for the most part, everyone behaving. Light traffic would be like tonight, maybe 30 cars in a span of 30 minutes?

All right, I'm going to bed and gonna stop trying to backpedal my into making this not sound like a crap idea, lol. Because right now I totally feel like y'all think I must strap on devil horns before getting into the car with my lead foot going 50 through the neighborhood and riding everyone's butt and being a generally obnoxious driver. I'm not, I don't, but I'm gonna blame my lack of clear, concise explanations on not enough sleep and too much work. Sure, we'll run with that. ;) Night folks happy discussing!
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:04 AM
I'd never heard of this game but it might explain how some other people drive. No rabbiting for me! It's bad enough when two or more cars are going somewhere and the person who knows the way best says, "Just follow me." Ummmm, no. I don't care to try to squeeze through a light to follow a lead car and I don't want to see the lead car slowing down or pulling off to the side to let me catch up. Just give me the address and directions and I'll see you there.

The closest thing I did to playing this game was once driving across country in rolling hills on a small highway with very little traffic. There were two, small Burrey's Cookies trucks going the same direction. On uphill slopes, where their vehicles couldn't go as fast, I'd catch up and pass them. On the flat they would go a bit over the speed limit and I didn't so they'd pass me. Sometimes the first one would pass me but then we'd come to a hill and I'd be a "cookie sandwich" for a while. The same thing would happen if I passed one of them on a hill but then there were no more passing opportunities for a while. It did become a game with us all expecting each other to pass at certain times. We continued on like this until eventually their route veered them off in one direction and me off on another highway.
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 02:01 AM
Edited by LeSoulierVert (121625) on 2010-09-26 02:02:15 Where my gerunds at?!
The freeway is dangerous enough. That sounds way too risky to me, mostly because if you're changing lanes that much then you're putting way more lives than your own at risk.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 07:01 AM
Nope. I just drive, at the speed limit. - and only 'weave' when I need to change lanes to turn or whatever.

I get scared enough as it is behind the wheel of something so powerful- don't need those extra risks.
re: Do you play rabbit on the highway? (karma: 1)
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 08:40 AM
Edited by Jonelle (199601) on 2010-09-26 08:41:25
I've never heard of this either. I don't think you sound like a crazy lunatic driver, but I doubt I'll be trying it anytime soon. When I'm driving, I very much get into a "me versus them" mentality in which I assume every other driver is a moron who will take any opportunity possible to do something stupid, so no way would I ever follow anyone's lead on passing slow drivers. If I want to pass someone who's being slow, I'll do it, but it'll be on my own initiative.

As for me being the "rabbit," maybe I have been without knowing it. I certainly have noticed other cars passing the same people that I am, but all that does is make me pay close attention to how fast they are going so that I can let them pass me if they seem like they want to go faster than me. Otherwise, I just figure we're both in a hurry to get somewhere and don't think much else about it.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:14 AM
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2010-09-26 17:00:11
We called this "Rat Racing". I only did it once when I was 16. I was the lead guy and the other guy was a friend. It had a bad consequence. The guy chasing me rear-ended me as I slowed down for a deer that was about to cross the highway. My dad had a pretty substantial trailer hitch on our car which prevented serious damage to my dad's car. My friend messed up the front end of his car pretty badly (no one was hurt), but I only dented the orange juice can we had over the ball on the trailer hitch, since the ball has grease on it for when we towed our camping trailer. This was through city streets near the edge of town (hence the deer). The idea was to lose the other guy by turning on short city blocks and alleyways. It was at comparatively low speeds.

And that was the first and the last time I ever pulled a stunt like that. My father did not know that we were actually "rat-racing" otherwise I likely would have been grounded for life.

Jon
By Shnaynaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 03:02 PM
Paddiddle. That's a night game for spotting cars with one headlamp out. A variation is to alternate. At the sighting of a car with only one working headlight, you count the number of cars you can see (you must see both headlamps) before you get another car with a burned out headlamp. Then the next player starts his count. The one with the greatest number of cars between paddiddles wins.

We always play that the first person to see a padiddle punches the ceiling and yells "PADDIDLE!!" and then everyone else has to do it too, and the last person to punch the ceiling and say it has to take an article of clothing off. You can imagine how interesting it gets on long car rides :)

peace out
sh'naynay
By Orionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 03:38 PM
Yellow light game! Every time you go through a yellow light, everyone in the car has to hit the ceiling. Whoever is last has to take off an article of clothing.

Also, SlugBug, of course.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 04:31 PM
People see that as a game? UGH. I freaking hate when people follow me around on multi-lane roads...when I catch somebody doing it, I'll purposefully let off the gas a bit so that they get stuck in another lane.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 06:01 PM
Yeah...

A game that involves the inside of the car (Punching the ceiling, touch your nose, find the letter) is usually okay as long as the driver is still alert enough. On long trips, sometimes it's NEEDED to keep the driver alert.

However, as soon as it passes to the outside of the car, affecting other drivers and the flow of traffic then it crosses into the "Very not okay" zone. Call me a stick in the mud, but I would consider this a reason to have a licence revoked. Driving is too dangerous to endanger and irritate others like that. :/
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed