Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers
CLRG Info on Dresses (karma: 3)
By KnotworkMolltPremium member Comments: 2804, member since Sat Oct 09, 2004
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 08:23 AM
Made sticky by hummingbird (128773) on 2010-09-28 10:43:24 Important information that dancers need to read

Just received this; quoted in full. Please note that there is no enforcement decreed by CLRG, which is disappointing because that's exactly what turned the former 4-inch rule into a joke.

An Coimisiun le Rinci Gaelacha

Costume Rules as of 1st September 2010.

Following a review of the costume rules at its Annual General Meeting, held in May 2010, An Coimisiun le Rinci Gaelacha wishes to update and inform its registered members worldwide of the current rules. It is important that teachers, adjudicators, parents and dressmakers are aware of, and work within, the updated regulations. They are outlined hereunder, with the effective date written alongside.

1. Skirt length: All costumes, both for solo and team dancers, must be no shorter than mid-thigh, in the back of the leg. Already in place.

2. Necklines must be at collarbone level or above. This does not preclude the use of alternative fabrics, e.g. lace, as an inset. Already in place.

3. Costumes must consist of full front, side and back sections. Cut away styles, without a full skirt backing, are not acceptable. Effective 1st January 2011.

4. Appropriate underwear, covering the midriff, must be worn. Where tights are worn, they must be of a denier of not less than 70. Effective immediately.
5. Dance Drama costumes must be in keeping with the theme of the story portrayed. Effective immediately.
6. Competitors in all age groups, up to but excluding Meangrad (Intermediate in Ireland, Preliminary in the United Kingdom, Novice and above in North America), may only wear traditional class-costumes or long/short sleeved blouses/polo tops and skirts/tunics which conform to the regular costume length rules as above. Low-cut tops and short, tight skirts are not permitted. Effective 1st January 2011.

7. All forms of dance school identification, be it by sign, shape, colour-piece, logo, or symbol be banned from all solo costumes worn by any competitor in any competition. Effective from 1st January 2011.

8. Sleeves on Solo Costumes must start at the shoulder line and end at the cuff. Already in place.

9. The following rule was deleted from the Rule Book
Materials must be of an equivalent weight to that used in the more traditional costumes, i.e. dress-velvet, trevira, gabardine, wool-mix, etc.

It is important to note that An Coimisiun has never issued guidelines to adjudicators to penalise competitors by deducting marks, etc. for breaches of the costume regulations.

Monitoring: Currently, members of the Costume Committee are assigned to specific geographical areas and they are monitoring and noting breaches of the rules. Details are available from the Commission Office. It is hoped to develop and incorporate a “check-box” system into the adjudication sheets used at feiseanna, to indicate non-compliance with these rules. In this way, the relevant teacher will be notified and asked to comply. More details will follow in due course.

Your co-operation in this, as in all matters, is always appreciated.

Sean MacDonnchadha,
Cathaoirleach an Choimisiuin le Rinci Gaelacha.
Mean Fomhair/September 2010

42 Replies to CLRG Info on Dresses

re: CLRG Info on Dresses
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 08:46 AM
KnotworkMollt wrote:

7. All forms of dance school identification, be it by sign, shape, colour-piece, logo, or symbol be banned from all solo costumes worn by any competitor in any competition. Effective from 1st January 2011.

Does this mean that Gavin's dancers can't wear globes on their capes? You could spot a Doherty dancer by those so I wonder if this was one of the reasons that rule was put into place.

and does
KnotworkMollt wrote:

4. Appropriate underwear, covering the midriff, must be worn.
mean that you HAVE to wear a tank top or undershirt under your solo? I already do, but I know of girls that only wear sports bras and their bloomers go up past their waist.

Interesting... Thanks for sharing!
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 09:55 AM
Very interesting...I am still chasing regarding whether only certain grades will be allowed solo dresses.

These rules are very similar to WIDA ones now
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:05 AM
I was really confused with the wording on #6. At first I was like: What?!? I don't get to wear my solo in Novice?!? and then I realized that it was up to but excluding novice. Way to be confusing CLRG

I do like the halfway down the thigh in the back description. It's easy to eyeball. I would like to see some sort of enforcement beyond telling the tcrg, because otherwise there's no reason to comply.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:09 AM
^ i didn't read 6 - that basically answers my question...but seeing as I am not CLRG can someone please clarify which levels (UK, USA and Ireland) CAN wear solos?
By FeisQueenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 162, member since Sun Feb 24, 2008
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:26 AM
^ Nyssasistic, I'm not sure what that means for the "globes." I know, Claire Greaney also wears one and she doesn't dance for the Doherty School, so maybe they will still be allowed since they are not associated with one particular school.
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3559, member since Wed Jul 28, 2004
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:59 AM
Edited by IrishLizzy (101326) on 2010-09-27 12:00:19
Nyssasistic wrote:

Does this mean that Gavin's dancers can't wear globes on their capes? You could spot a Doherty dancer by those so I wonder if this was one of the reasons that rule was put into place.

The globes on the capes weren't just for Gavin's dancers. He put them on previous World champion's dresses from different schools, too.
By SamCartermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1258, member since Mon Feb 27, 2006
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:13 PM
claireyfaerie85 wrote:

^ i didn't read 6 - that basically answers my question...but seeing as I am not CLRG can someone please clarify which levels (UK, USA and Ireland) CAN wear solos?

According to the new rule, in North America it means you can wear solos in Novice, Prizewinner (Open), Preliminary Championships and Open Championships. Really the only levels you can't wear one in is First Feis, Beginner 1 and Beginner 2.
By angelfish10member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1463, member since Sat May 31, 2008
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:20 PM
Basically the levels named are the first levels in which you are allowed to wear a solo dress, i.e. Novice for North America.

These all look pretty good to me. No complaints!
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:34 PM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-09-27 12:35:24
claireyfaerie85 wrote:

If you're not CLRG, these rules don't affect you at all--it's up to whichever organization you belong to. (If that's not what you meant, sorry, I need coffee.)

Dani
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5653, member since Wed Jan 26, 2005
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 01:07 PM
Edited by Crazy_Claire (120567) on 2010-09-27 13:10:08
It seems UK is just Preliminary and Open that can wear solo dresses. I'm not sure exactly if that extends to Intermediate, but given a fair number of Prelim dancers do compete in the Intermediate grades and do the Prelim's as well, it seems like it'd be stupid if that wasn't included in being allowed to wear a solo dress. (Prelim over here is more like an Intermediate Championship, mostly made up of dancers who are still doing Solo's in Intermediate and those who have won out of Intermediate who want the experience of competing in a championship. Kind of like a stepping stone towards moving up to Open Championship - in fact the Prelim Competitons are quite often run right after the Intermediate competitions.)

It will be interesting to see how many of these rules are actually enforced.

Claire.
By LoRo Comments: 553, member since Sun Jan 04, 2009
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 02:08 PM
Edited by LoRo (205867) on 2010-09-27 14:09:19
Crazy_Claire wrote:

It seems UK is just Preliminary and Open that can wear solo dresses. I'm not sure exactly if that extends to Intermediate, but given a fair number of Prelim dancers do compete in the Intermediate grades and do the Prelim's as well, it seems like it'd be stupid if that wasn't included in being allowed to wear a solo dress. (Prelim over here is more like an Intermediate Championship, mostly made up of dancers who are still doing Solo's in Intermediate and those who have won out of Intermediate who want the experience of competing in a championship. Kind of like a stepping stone towards moving up to Open Championship - in fact the Prelim Competitons are quite often run right after the Intermediate competitions.)

It will be interesting to see how many of these rules are actually enforced.

Claire.

I think it's probably just a typo, afterall mean grad is the same thing as intermediate, and as you pointed out prelim doesn't exist as a 'proper' grade in the UK.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 03:52 PM
I think this would be a good sticky! The questions come up a lot. It would be great if this could be at the top of the dressmaker board.
By seacaptain Comments: 2111, member since Mon Sep 19, 2005
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 04:32 PM
What do they mean by "color piece" as a school identifier?
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 04:53 PM
^ like the petri flower or claddaugh's clauddaughs... (I can't spell today... )
By painter308member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 323, member since Sun Jun 22, 2008
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 05:02 PM
I didnt see anything about intials...does this mean you can have a dress that identifies yourself with yourself but just not your school? Also while the globes are mostly on GD's dancers others have them too such as KD
By momsjigmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 465, member since Thu Jun 21, 2007
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 05:27 PM
but the claddagh is the claddagh and the school costume makes sense with the claddagh on it....and there are other dancers who have the claddagh symbol on their dress, who are not with the claddagh school. I think this is just UNENFORCEABLE. No matter what, people are going to know your school costume if you have any size school at all. I think the only time it should be prohibited is placing initials of the school or actual name of the school on the solo dress. It doesn't matter if school A puts a big A on their dress or is known as the girls with the gorgeous red and white school dresses, b/c everyone is going to know that school dress if it is well known.
By angelfish10member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1463, member since Sat May 31, 2008
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 05:31 PM
^This new rule concerns solo dresses, not school dresses. Of course school dresses can feature the school's symbols.
By momsjigmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 465, member since Thu Jun 21, 2007
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 05:57 PM
*)^^(* thanks angelfish...I read that entry twice and didn't see solo at all LOL! that would be so weird..how the heck could you possibly enforce that rule!!

Don't you think, however, if you are a good dancer, or even just been around a while, everyone knows who you dance for?
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1321, member since Mon Apr 14, 2008
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 06:10 PM
KnotworkMollt wrote:

^ For clarification..

Also, any dancer may be recognized, yes, be they a top dancer or just one who has been around a while, but the idea is to grade the dancer, not the school. Putting a school symbol on the solo dress opens up the opportunity for individuals to accuse adjudicators of placing (or not placing) a dancer based on their school instead of their dancing. I think it's a good idea, though I do like the camaraderie shown by having a symbol of the school on the solo dress. Then again, I'm really in favor of dropping solo dresses altogether and dancing in a plain black top and skirt, but that's a debate for a different thread.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:21 PM
I totally agree with you on dropping the solo dresses.

Now what is to stop schools from using color to identify the dancers from their school instead of symbols? What if everyone from the White school of dance had white dresses (hypothetical situation). Really I don't know how they are going to totally enforce this.

I think there are enough crooked teachers in the land of irish dance to make enforcing rules difficult. Yes there are more good teachers than bad teachers... but the bad ones are bad.
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1321, member since Mon Apr 14, 2008
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:26 PM
^ Well, it does include color in the list of identifiers in the rule. As for enforcing, as has been mentioned before, CLRG isn't exactly the best at enforcing anything so who knows how much of an actual effect these rules will have on costumes as a whole.
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5653, member since Wed Jan 26, 2005
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:55 AM
LLD - that's what was thinking too. Plus, what if someone has say a rose on the back, which has nothing to do with their dance school (lets just pretend set dancer likes roses), but get's mistaken for being some kind of identifier?

I gotta say I did laugh at the word signs in that rule. I totally pictured a dancer walking on stage with a whiteboard or something saying "Please give me the 100" LOL.

Claire.
By superheavyjigPremium member Comments: 404, member since Mon Apr 19, 2010
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 05:21 AM
I was wondering (not that I'm CLRG I'm just wondering, as you do) if this will put an end to the "off the shoulder" dresses made up with skin fabric? Rule 8? Or unenforceable?
By jlhaygoodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 174, member since Tue Aug 03, 2010
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 06:29 AM
You know, I LIKE the check-box for non-compliance thing, but for skirt length I have to get a bit defensive. Nobody wants hoochie-coochie skirts, but my DM didn't give me much option. I sent pics & measurements, she said they were too long, & I told her I trusted her opinion & experience. As a result, my solo is quite short &, though I think it looks nice, my teacher is always after me about it. What am I going to do? Sell it and get another most-likely too-short dress? Hell no! I have groceries to buy!
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch