Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: CLRG Info on Dresses
By Reelnut Comments: 310, member since Mon May 11, 2009
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 07:12 AM
As Crazy Claire said, the ruling is confusing for UK dancers who dance in prelim but also do intermediate grades. Not allowing these dancers to wear their dress for the intermediate grades as well as prelim would be a nightmare for the dancers as the competitions are nearly always back to back. Could perhaps mean that they participate less in the intermediate grades and concentrate solely on prelim resulting in less revenue for a feis organiser.
By Miss_WittyGirl Comments: 302, member since Thu Apr 12, 2007
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 07:38 AM
Also, what about other regions like Mainland Europe, Australia, Asia and others? After all irish dancing is not limited to UK, Ireland and USA nowadays.

I'm dancing in ME and we are following the UK system except that we do not have prelim level. Does it mean that we are allowed to wear solos only in Open? or Intermediate as well?

To be honest, I do not have a problem with wearing solos only in open, but it is not fair if we compare the situation to other regions. Why should CLRG which proclaims itself worldwide organisation and then treat dancers differently not because of the level of dancing but depending on which part of the world they dance in?

For example, according to the rules :
- in US one can wear solo in

1. Novice
2. Prizewinner
3. PC
4. OC

- in UK

1. PC
2. OC

- in ME

1. Intermediate(?)
2. Open

Does anyone else see what I mean?

Regarding the levels, my understanding (according to the post on DDN which I can't find at the moment) is that novice in US corresponds to primary; and Intermediate in UK and ME is a mix between Prizewinner and PC.

I'm curious to see how it's going to be put in place...
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:48 AM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2010-09-28 10:52:36
Each region will have their own variations as well, for instance some areas won't allow wigs and make up for beginner/Bun Grad and some will.

It is up to dancers to check with their TC's as to what the regional variations are, these are the general rules from AC and all regions will be using these rules.

Thank you KnotworkMollt for posting this, once we all get our heads round AC normal, sideways, approach to writing rules it should make it easier to stick to them :)
By KnotworkMolltPremium member Comments: 2804, member since Sat Oct 09, 2004
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:25 AM
We just got a clarification of Rule 6, intended to clear up the confusion they created for UK dancers:

6. Competitors in all age groups, up to but excluding Meangrad (Intermediate in Ireland and in the United Kingdom, Novice in North America), may only wear traditional class-costumes or long/short sleeved blouses/polo tops and skirts/tunics which conform to the regular costume length rules as above. Low-cut tops and short, tight skirts are not permitted. Effective 1st January 2011.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:27 PM
so anyone in intermediate UK can wear solos?

Geez they are confusing...whoever it was that pointed out it doesn't matter to me what the rules are as I don't dance CLRG, its still interesting and considering I have a webpage it would also be useful to put on there. :)
Wouldn't it have been easier for them just to say beginner grades and primary grades cannot wear solo dresses....?
By peabody Comments: 218, member since Sat Sep 25, 2004
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:31 PM
My daughter no longer dances, however, the motif on her last dress, made in Glasgow, was Mackintosh roses. Unacceptable? Ridiculous.
By RinceorNosretep Comments: 1027, member since Fri Oct 23, 2009
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 03:07 PM
Yeah I was confused at first on the whole ruling of no identifying school associations on the solos...at first I had thought they meant school dresses :P But it's still kind of strange; I understand the whole 'judging the dancing, not the school' but like others have said, well-known dancers of well-known schools are still going to be, well, KNOWN. Besides, what about those above Novice that still use their school dresses? I've seen open champions wear school dresses (albeit rarely, but it still happens). What about them? Will they be 'banned' from wearing school-identifying dresses?
By childminder Comments: 13, member since Mon Aug 09, 2010
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 05:00 PM
No thats too easy for them, as it stands in our school the rule has always been class dress for beg & primary and solo dress for Inter and open, thought was always the rule in uk.
By Reelnut Comments: 310, member since Mon May 11, 2009
On Fri Oct 01, 2010 07:43 AM
Thanks so much to KnotworkMollt for finding that out about the UK intermediate dancers - it's really useful for me to know that.
By irishdancer701 Comments: 151, member since Sun Apr 11, 2010
On Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:49 AM
When it says no identification does that exclude initials too? Like if you had your initials and not the schools?
By KnotworkMolltPremium member Comments: 2804, member since Sat Oct 09, 2004
On Fri Oct 01, 2010 05:35 PM
^ Irishdancer701, you can have your own initials. I would caution against that because of the difficulty it would create if you had to sell your dress - finding someone else with the same initials interested in buying it could take a while!

Once upon a time, a customer ordered a dress from me with her family's crest on the cape. She also ordered a second cape, reflecting the decoration on the front of the dress, for when she had to sell it - smart move!
By EireLibramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2482, member since Thu Aug 21, 2003
On Wed Oct 06, 2010 03:49 PM
I was thinking about these rules the other day and I remembered something.

At our last Oireachtas, a lot of the Figure Teams were using Leotards with Skirts for their figure choreographies.

Are we not allowed to use these anymore?
By wildwoodflowermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 829, member since Sun Nov 04, 2007
On Wed Oct 06, 2010 04:15 PM
^As long as the leo meets the rules (covers collarbone, reaches to the wrist, is of a heavier weight fabric so it isn't unsightly) I don't see why not. And it said the rule regarding the weight of fabric was removed from the rule book, so the lighter fabrics most leos are made of should be fine.
By Amarella Comments: 23, member since Tue Aug 24, 2010
On Thu Oct 07, 2010 06:22 AM
Oh dear, the 'not wearing solo's up to and excluding intermediate' rule is going to be a bit of an extra fuss. I do understand the base of the rule, a dancer has to earn the dress, agreed.
However, I'm in ME and most dancers, including myself, who still dance in Primary already have a solo because they've placed for some or most intermediate dances. In my case I'll have to bring two costumes due to my one dance in primary I still have left. Not very handy...
By TrischPremium member Comments: 548, member since Sun Jan 18, 2004
On Sun Oct 24, 2010 06:58 AM
Amarella - but bringing 2 dresses is not a big problem! If you dance a 2-hand, you`ll have to anyway. I like the idea of dancing primary in class costume and intermediate in solodress!
By AussieLauramember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1129, member since Sun Mar 07, 2010
On Wed Nov 03, 2010 04:32 AM
In Australia, as far as I know, we have been allowed to wear solo dresses from Tus grad (primary) up; only beginner and the first-time feis (novice) aren't allowed. I wonder has this changed?
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Wed Nov 03, 2010 05:02 AM
^ If it hasn't changed then it really should do - everyone should be adhering to similar rules in my opinion.

Amarella - but bringing 2 dresses is not a big problem! If you dance a 2-hand, you`ll have to anyway. I like the idea of dancing primary in class costume and intermediate in solodress!

Unless your primary and intermediate dances are happening at the same time on adjacent stages as is often the case. So you do your primary reel in your class dress, quick chang into your solo for your intermediate hop jig, back into the school dress for your primary light jig, and then yet another change for your intermediate slip jig.
By roz275member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 187, member since Thu Oct 14, 2010
On Sat Nov 27, 2010 02:17 PM
Specific much? WOW! I think mine meets all requirements!!
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch