Forum: General / Modern / Praise/Liturgical

Praise/Liturgical
Feeling called to teach liturgical dance
By crunchyPremium member Comments: 4810, member since Wed Nov 05, 2003
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 07:51 PM

I've participated in many Christian dance camps in the past, I have my dance minor (specializing in choreography and modern dance), and I have 5 years of teaching under my belt. I've never actually taught liturgical dance, though.

I've been asked to teach liturgical dance a few times by members of my church, and it's always been in the back of my head. I've just never done anything about it. Now that my daughter is 3 and I'm looking for wholesome movement classes for her, I can't find one anywhere. It's really been weighing on my heart lately to start teaching lessons...I have NO idea where to begin!

Are there workshops for instructors? I'm doing quite a bit of research online, but I'd love to connect with other liturgical teachers to talk about methods, class sizes, etc.

If anyone has any advice, tips, anything at all to share, I'd be most grateful :)

2 Replies to Feeling called to teach liturgical dance

re: Feeling called to teach liturgical dance
By heartzjoymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 703, member since Fri Aug 20, 2004
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 08:46 PM
If you feel it on your heart, DO IT.

If you have taught dance and know dance, then this should be pretty smooth for you to get started. Start at your church, hold a class for whatever age group you want, once per week at the church. Put together a playlist of music and structure your class like modern or ballet: Warm-up, plie, tendu, work through feet, etc. then progress to the center and across the floor. End with some combinations. Next thing you know, you're teaching!

When you create your choreography, that's where the intentionality of the lyrics and movement come in. Listen to the music, listen for the Lord, then allow yourself to be moved to something that shows worship and praise.

I started by holding a Teen/Adult Praise class at a local church for one hour on Mondays.
re: Feeling called to teach liturgical dance
By Gwyneth17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1284, member since Wed Dec 21, 2005
On Sun Oct 10, 2010 01:10 PM
Ballet Magnificat does a week-long teacher workshop that could be really helpful to you, they have a lot of great ideas and also a lot of resources. Plus, its a really great time of meeting new friends and getting encouraged in the Lord. I went in 2009 and would highly recommend it.

ReplySendWatch