Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

Problems with turning!
By live2lovedance
On Thu Sep 30, 2010 02:35 PM

I'm seventeen years old and have been dancing for most of my life, I'm a fairly good dancer but the only thing I have problems with is turning! I can do pirouettes fine and I'm fine with spotting, but once it comes to a la seconde turns or fouettes I'm lost! Like I know where my body needs to be, and I can picture myself doing them perfectly, I just can't seem to get my body to do it!
Does anyone else have this problem or have something that could help me out :)?

4 Replies to Problems with turning!

re: Problems with turning!
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 30, 2010 07:33 PM
Make sure you are holding your core and pulling up while you do them, and that you aren't "helicoptering" your leg during a la seconde turns. What I mean by this is having it at 90 degrees when you are facing front and swooping it down to 45 when you plie and back up to 90.

nycsylph replied to one of my recent posts on the ballet board asking for help with a la secondes, and her suggestions helped me a lot. Here's the link:

www.dance.net . . .
By footundeez
On Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:33 AM
Something to do is stregthen your legs in second. Go to the barre and from either 1st or 5th position lift your leg to second and bring back down to a tendue, and repeat 10 times on each leg. Then try your turns. Make sure you are lifted, and when you feel like you are loosing your releve or center, think lift up! releve up!

If you try that muscle memory will start to happen! It takes such a long time to get these, they are tricky. Some people are better turners than others. Just keep trying! Goodluck!
By footundeez
On Sat Nov 06, 2010 03:14 AM
oh god please excuse me, I put an "e" at the end on tendu... ahhaha.
By maddieluvs2dance
On Mon Nov 08, 2010 08:48 AM
Here are some tips my teacher gave me that are helping me improve:
1. Stay centered over your supporting leg. This will keep you from wobbling and traveling all over the place in your turns.

2. Stay pulled up and keep your core muscles engaged.

3. Use your arms to whip you around and keep the momentum going.

4. MAKE SURE YOU ARE SPOTTING!

This all really helped me and I hope it helps you too!

ReplySendWatch