Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

Major Dilemma-HELP!
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:35 PM

So, as many of you know from my previous posts, I am a member of my high school's dance team. It's very competitive, we have practices everyday, perform at basketball and football games, and compete on a state and national level. I love the dance team and all of the girls, but it can get a little catty over spots and such. It takes up about 8.5 hours a week with practices, and I can't really do anything else with school because of it (it's year round too).

At my school, we have a variety show every February or March, and it's huge. There are a ton of great acts, and it's a really big event. In the v-show, there is a group called the singer-dancers. It's audition-only, and once you get in, your in for the rest of your high school career. They do Broadway-style musical numbers, and are both incredible dancers and singers.

Well, I got invited to audition for singer-dancers, and since there are eight spots open this year, I have a pretty good chance of getting in. Auditions are in December, and I really want to do this, but rehearsals would be right in the middle of our competition season for dance team, and I would have to choose between dance team and singer-dancers. Also, if I chose singer-dancers, I would have a much better shot at getting a role as a dancer in the spring musical.

I really want to be a Rockette and a dancer on Broadway, but I don't know if dance team is helping me achieve that goal. If I wasn't on the team, I'd be able to spend more time taking classes at my studio and I'd be able to assistant teach. But I love the girls on the team, and get the most performances out of dance team.

I really need some advice on this. Thanks.

1 Replies to Major Dilemma-HELP!

re: Major Dilemma-HELP!
By DancinAngel19
On Mon Oct 04, 2010 07:45 AM
Weigh your pros and cons. It sounds to me like the dancer-singer group would benefit you more for your future. I'm sure the dance team is fun and you have a great time with them BUT you want to be a Rockette and on Broadway... that would require singing and dancing. I say go to the audition and then go from there. When do you need to make a decision by? Can you wait until you know the results of the audition or do you have to leave the dance team before it gets too far into the season? If you have to decide now then get out a pen and paper and write down all your pros and cons (this always helps me). I think experience in your school musical would benefit you A LOT. The musical world is completely different from performing at football games and competitions.
I know you love the girls on the team but you have to do what's best for you.
Hope that helps some.

ReplySendWatch